GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How did you know SR and how did you feel when you were here for the first time."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/01/03 at 23:15
Regular
--How did you know SR?
--What did you feel like when you visited SR for the first time?

Roughly 164 days ago, I saw an advert in the Official PlayStation 2 Magazine. It had lots of little pictures in it about great websites and big club shops, but what got my attention was the little advert where that Bob guy doesn't buy his games but wins them from GAMEADAY.co.uk and another picture of Lara in short pants with descriptions below it saying "would you cheat on Lara?" "Over 20,000 cheats for all formats" and the name of a website which appeared to be "UKCHEATS.com" printed in bold letters.

I never thought of trying to win games through competitions before, and that was what made me to come to SR, to win games instead of buying them, seeing that my mum doesn't like me to buy games all the time. But at first I wanted to look at the cheats first at ukcheats.com because I couldn't defeat Dark Yojimbo in Final Fantasy X. So I typed "ukcheats.com" in the search engine and as soon as I saw the results for "ukcheats.com", I think the first few words I saw were "Win prizes for submitting cheats" below the ukcheats.com link. And then I edited my details to SR as soon as possible and because my favourite PS2 game was FFX at that time, all I could think of was submitting cheats (which were more like hints or the parts of a walkthrough) in order to win prizes. But unfortunately, I never won a single prize, I never even had a chance.

To be honest I'm kind of shy, and I couldn't be bothered to visit the chat forums in SR, and I wasn't confident to write reviews at all, so all I could do was just submit cheats and hoping that I would win one day. Later that month I was talking to my friends in school about SR, if they knew anything about it and what they thought of it. One of them said "Oh, right, that site. Don't like to go there, land of the paedophiles". Then another said "You don't win anything anyway, they just take your cheats, reviews and walkthroughs, and that's it, you never win". And so I objected by saying "But how about that Meka Dragon dude in GameADay's Hall Of Fame, he's won about 30 times now." And the same person awnsered back "I'll bet the people who won are like the same people who made that crappy website anyway, so we would think that there are people that have won from their crappy competitions". That really got me discouraged from trying to win GameADay until one of them said "Yeah Isa, you're dumb, as always. Wait and see when they rape you, man that would be funny" Insults from my friends about SR made me feel discouraged even more with the question wondering in my mind "Is Special Reserve one big hoax?" And so I asked my mum if SR was for real, a website where you could win games and stuff. But as soon as I told my mum what I had to tell about SR, she just got mad and even went all mental because I told her that I edited my real details to SR about my real name, where I live and stuff. She said to me don't trust websites like these, for all you know they might be bad people who want to know where children live and then rape them, like paedophiles. That even got me more discouraged than ever, but not enough to make me think that SR was one big hoax.

After a few days on SR just submitting cheats, I finally wanted to go to the chat forums in SR. So I went to the Sony forum, and the first thread I ever visited was Asher D's Final Fantasy Forum, I saw a lot of SR users there, some of their nicknames were in red while others were in purple. I didn't really know what the colours that highlited the nicknames were for at that time, I thought it was some sort of pattern on the forums or something, until later I found out about regulars, noobs and notables.

Yeah, I can still remember the first thread I made in the Sony forum. It was called "Anything bout Final Fantasy X". I met some nice people there such as Snake Eyes a.k.a King Cactuar a.k.a The Green Goblin a.k.a R-One-Oh-Seven and egghead a.k.a morbo. I never said anything in the other forums at that time really, because I was really shy, I never understood what the regulars such as Asher D, KR and Jive were talking about in ssxpro's PS2- Longest Thread. So the only thing I ever did was to hang around in my own little thread that I made which was called "Anything bout Final Fantasy X" and submit cheats. That was all, nothing else. And because I was so shy and I felt like I was some sort of stranger from another dimension, I would call any SR user/member "Sir", didn't matter if the SR user/member I was talking to was a regular or a newbie, I would always put the word "Sir" before their name, or whenever I would refer to them.

And to be honest the first regulars I knew were Asher D and NatBu(c) a.k.a Nathan Buchanan. And my first review that I ever wrote was Medal Of Honor: Frontline for SR, and you can bet that I was pretty crap at writing reviews at that time, I would spend most of the review on the summary plot and very little about the gameplay and stuff, I would just focus on one thing and forget about the rest. I didn't know what I was doing at that time until Asher D told me that I was just writing summary plots the whole time, and I should focus on the bits where I like and don't like about the game. So I kept trying to improve my shock tactics and persuasive language in every review I made, but they all failed, seeing that it was me who made them, because of the fact that I'm a failure.

And so here I am, telling a tale of how this dumb Uruk-Hai Orc got to know SR, and all the pain and sorrow he had to go through so he could be here today, telling every SR user/member who could be bothered to look at my low-life tale. And I'm still trying to win on SR!!! Grrrr!!

So:
--How did you know SR?
--What did you feel like when you visited SR for the first time?
Fri 10/01/03 at 22:06
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
You said that last time, i will rebel.

*ARGH, says Gerrid*

Yes, master.
Fri 10/01/03 at 22:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Ahah how funny it was.
Laughing time is over.
Fri 10/01/03 at 21:59
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
You are!
Fri 10/01/03 at 21:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I saw it in my dreams and a star lead me here.

I was a member and registered so that I could buy games online, although I've never bought a game online from SR.
Then I made some crappy reviews and started posting on the forums and now they wrote a magazine about how great I was (If only I was joking)
Fri 10/01/03 at 21:53
"The Will of D."
I found it while I wa looking on the web to buy a GameCube. The exact date I registered was April 19th 2002, I found that out by looking on a calender.
Fri 10/01/03 at 21:40
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
My brother showed it to me
Fri 10/01/03 at 21:05
Regular
"You can't catch me!"
J-42 wrote:
> My brother showed it to me.

His brother showed it to me
Fri 10/01/03 at 16:57
Regular
"Festivus!"
- How did I know SR?

Who Knows?

- How did I feel?

Happy

I've won 2 GAD's... heh
Fri 10/01/03 at 11:59
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I subscribed to SR for a few years, until I stopped buying games so much in sixth form. I saw an ad in the mag for Gameaday and the special reserve forums, so I came to check it out (that would have been summer 2000). I read a few posts, decided it was easy to win, and wrote a GAD attempt on retro games.

Logged in a few days later, found out I didn't win, and promptly quit the site :)

Shortly after getting starting Uni, and finding myself with huge amounts of free time and 24/7 internet access, I decided to take another look at the forums.

I didn't really expect to stay, and certainly not this long. I'm not sure what it was now, but the first thread I looked at made me laugh. So did some of the replies. Most of the posts in the FOG were from two people going by the names of FantasyMeister and Grix Thraves, both of whom had an excellent sense of humour. So I stayed.

I felt slightly out of place for a few weeks, but not one person was offensive towards me or anyone else, so it didn't take long to fit in.
Tue 07/01/03 at 20:33
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
J-42 wrote:
> My brother showed it to me.

Dirty.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.