GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Helps Psychiatric Patients"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/01/02 at 13:08
Regular
Excerpt from BBC News Online, Jan 30th, 2005 :-

John Grade, Director of the Massachusetts Psychiatric Institute (MPI), revealed today how experiments with life-simulating games such as "The Sims" and various expansion packs, have brought new hope for some of his psychiatric patients.

Grade has recently conducted a study with patients who have had unusual or disturbed family life, and who suffer from not being able to communicate with other people, and who occasionally have panic attacks about relating to family, friends and colleagues. The results of the study show that after playing games in which they must play a character who goes through a series of life crisis, patients feel more at ease with relating to one another, as well as with doctors, nurses, and, occasionaly, complete strangers.

In a press conference yesterday, Grade said "I'm so pleased with the results, they go far beyond what I had hoped for. Through using the life simulating games, the patient is free to experience things, and make types of decisions, like chatting to a stranger perhaps, which they would never attempt to do in real life.

"The patient the internalises these experiences, learning from them, and then gradually applies this new found knowledge to real-life situations to the extent that they progress much further in treatment than if we used more conventional electro-therapy methods."

Asked if this model of treatment could be applied to patients with more serious problems, such as homicidal tendancies, the Doctor refused to rule out further studies.

The Sims has been a best selling game for the last 5 years, and a spokesman for Electronica Arts, who produce the game, expressed how pleased they are at the results of the study, and hinted that there may even be some future expansion packs based upon living in a Psychiatric Institute.
Mon 04/02/02 at 15:30
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Get something that will warp your mind..

Oh the irony..
Mon 04/02/02 at 15:29
Craw wrote:
> If you asked a panel of Psychiatric patients, I'm sure
> their answer would be GTA III

I don't have a PS2 though :( , it's coming out on PC soon isn't it?
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:45
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
My Mum's a Psycotherapist.
(Or so she says.):D.
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:39
Regular
"Acid Casual"
If you asked a panel of Psychiatric patients, I'm sure their answer would be GTA III
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:38
Wohoooo. My 2nd!!! Thanks SR... Now, what to claim?
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:11
Regular
"Acid Casual"
And you won a GAD for it.

Nice one!
Thu 31/01/02 at 17:51
I made this story up guys! Look at the date! You believed it though, I was trying to provoke some comment...

My thoughts were that if people believe that games cause violence, surely they can be used for good also? Why couldn't we use games in a positive way to treat people??
Thu 31/01/02 at 09:24
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Five years? A best selling game for five years?

It hasn't been around that long, surely?

So anyway... what you're basically saying, is that the game I've played more than any other in the last two years... is now used to treat psychiatric patients?

Well, that makes me feel great ;)
Thu 31/01/02 at 09:19
Regular
"not dead"
I don't know what to think to this to be honest, though it is nice to see a positive game-related news story.
Thu 31/01/02 at 09:12
Well I thought this was a thought provoking one anyway!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.