GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Battlefield 3"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Battlefield 3'.
Fri 20/01/12 at 20:16
"possibly impossible"
It's like a war out there in FPS land, Battlefield 3 has it tough in the trenches, up against the might of Modern Warfare 3 on launch and master tacticians, EA, decided to market it to the same crowd.

Modern Warfare
In fairness, DICE seem to have taken the Modern Warfare spirit as a baseline for the single player, which now has a much more action-movie orientated feel to it with big set pieces along the way (read Popcorn movie). For veteran Battlefield fans this may be hard to swallow, but I personally enjoyed the single player story and was happy with the resulting adventure, whatever PETA say about the morality of killing rats with a knife.

Multi Fare
But most gamers who buy Battlefield 3 do it for the multiplayer and this is where the game still differs from Activision's title. Battlefield has always been the more tactical game, it's never meant to feel you welcome by giving you a big helping hand at the beginning and Battlefield 3 is no different.

The game doesn't really come into its own until you've played around with a given weapon load for a while and upgraded it in the process. Once you've mastered a skill it really does aid in the fight and puts you on a more level pegging with other players. This could well put those new to the series or more used to Modern Warfare's instant action off the game, but stick with it and it rewards long term play in a much more subtle way.

Air Fare
The same can be said of vehicles, particularly the air based ones. Flight is an acquired skill in Battlefield 3 and, once mastered, will really help to turn the tide of a fight. I still haven't mastered this. Tanks and other land based vehicles are easier to get to grips with but still require some mastering to get the most from them.

Another area where Battlefield 3 excels is in teamwork. Working as a team brings instant results over the more 'lone wolf' style play favoured by other games. The units all have their roles to play and keeping a tank going after taking damage while providing both long and short range cover can really turn a battle.

Art Fair
It's not the greatest looking game, but Battlefield 3 still manages to feel gritty and fairly realistic. The physics are fantastic, though, with bits of building flying around thanks to the Frostbite engine helping and hindering your progress. No wall is safe now.

Final Fan Fare
In short, the game brings something different to the table despite EA's advertising of it as a Modern Warfare beater. It may put some gamers off at an early stage with the single player, but those who favour long-term play and teamwork, however, should snap this up for the multiplayer alone and maybe try to enjoy the ride on single player.
9/10
Sat 21/01/12 at 10:19
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nicely written review pb, excellent.
Fri 20/01/12 at 22:31
"possibly impossible"
Hah. Thanks Pete. My eyes aren't what they used to be!

I've got both this and Mw3 and although I haven't played much MW3 yet, I do prefer BF3 more, though I really need to play on my own console now I've got a new TV sorted out.

As soon as I've played enough of Activisions game I'll try to post a review.
Fri 20/01/12 at 21:12
Regular
"I like turtles"
Good review pb, although I couldn't get into this game myself I'm aware that loads of people seem to love it.

You might want to check the spelling on the title though mate.
Fri 20/01/12 at 20:16
"possibly impossible"
It's like a war out there in FPS land, Battlefield 3 has it tough in the trenches, up against the might of Modern Warfare 3 on launch and master tacticians, EA, decided to market it to the same crowd.

Modern Warfare
In fairness, DICE seem to have taken the Modern Warfare spirit as a baseline for the single player, which now has a much more action-movie orientated feel to it with big set pieces along the way (read Popcorn movie). For veteran Battlefield fans this may be hard to swallow, but I personally enjoyed the single player story and was happy with the resulting adventure, whatever PETA say about the morality of killing rats with a knife.

Multi Fare
But most gamers who buy Battlefield 3 do it for the multiplayer and this is where the game still differs from Activision's title. Battlefield has always been the more tactical game, it's never meant to feel you welcome by giving you a big helping hand at the beginning and Battlefield 3 is no different.

The game doesn't really come into its own until you've played around with a given weapon load for a while and upgraded it in the process. Once you've mastered a skill it really does aid in the fight and puts you on a more level pegging with other players. This could well put those new to the series or more used to Modern Warfare's instant action off the game, but stick with it and it rewards long term play in a much more subtle way.

Air Fare
The same can be said of vehicles, particularly the air based ones. Flight is an acquired skill in Battlefield 3 and, once mastered, will really help to turn the tide of a fight. I still haven't mastered this. Tanks and other land based vehicles are easier to get to grips with but still require some mastering to get the most from them.

Another area where Battlefield 3 excels is in teamwork. Working as a team brings instant results over the more 'lone wolf' style play favoured by other games. The units all have their roles to play and keeping a tank going after taking damage while providing both long and short range cover can really turn a battle.

Art Fair
It's not the greatest looking game, but Battlefield 3 still manages to feel gritty and fairly realistic. The physics are fantastic, though, with bits of building flying around thanks to the Frostbite engine helping and hindering your progress. No wall is safe now.

Final Fan Fare
In short, the game brings something different to the table despite EA's advertising of it as a Modern Warfare beater. It may put some gamers off at an early stage with the single player, but those who favour long-term play and teamwork, however, should snap this up for the multiplayer alone and maybe try to enjoy the ride on single player.
9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.