GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/02 at 20:38
Regular
hello again, just recently a Kernal file 'KRNL386.EXE ' has been corrupt (aparently) the files still n windows but doesn't seem to be working, it's been happening with some other drivers recently too, it just comes up with illegal operation and cacels the program, in most cases it's something to do with the printer, but it has stopped my parents from playing freecell *shock* which is kinda like their life support, and they have inbuilt instincts to blame me for it *looks around and denys everything* I would be extreemly grateful for any advice on what to do, no i won't format and i'm hoping I don't have to reinstall windows.
The files still there, but it doesn't seem to recognice it.

thanks in advance.
Tue 29/01/02 at 20:38
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
hello again, just recently a Kernal file 'KRNL386.EXE ' has been corrupt (aparently) the files still n windows but doesn't seem to be working, it's been happening with some other drivers recently too, it just comes up with illegal operation and cacels the program, in most cases it's something to do with the printer, but it has stopped my parents from playing freecell *shock* which is kinda like their life support, and they have inbuilt instincts to blame me for it *looks around and denys everything* I would be extreemly grateful for any advice on what to do, no i won't format and i'm hoping I don't have to reinstall windows.
The files still there, but it doesn't seem to recognice it.

thanks in advance.
Tue 29/01/02 at 22:16
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Er well maybe you could try getting a copy of the file from a friend and trying just to replace the file. Other than that you will have to re-install windows.
Tue 29/01/02 at 22:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, if it were Linux and I had a buggered kernel I'd just recompile it. Of course, in Windows, you can't and I doubt how reliable just getting a duplicate would be. What version are you running, see if you can get someone elses? But as I say, kernels are generally specific to the hardware, but I'm guessing Windows is modular.
Tue 29/01/02 at 22:41
Regular
"How Handy."
Do you have a decent virus checker?? A few viruses infect your kernel files and pla up, thats what i was getting before i virus scanned.
Tue 29/01/02 at 23:43
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
i've run the Virus scan, no results, I updated it too (been long enough) um, i'm running Win98+ I would re-instal lWindows but it would take ages to get everything running normally again.

ok, thanks for your help, i'll have another fiddle around.
Wed 30/01/02 at 01:44
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
One thing you might try...

Typically if you explore your win98 CD you'll find a load of .cab files somewhere on the CD containing win98 itself. What you can do is try finding the cab file that contains the file you want (cab files are like zip files in case you didn't know). Latest versions of winzip can read cab files, so could be as simple as finding the right cab file and extracting the exe file you want to location of the old one.

As for which cab file you want to look in, it'll depends on your windows install CD. I found krnl386.exe in mini.cab on a win98 CD but I'm sure it varies according to the different versions. Not even sure if all versions of windows used cab files even. Worth a look anyway.
Wed 30/01/02 at 21:13
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
ok, sorry i didn't post this earlier, i'd recommend this to anyone,if somethings wrong with your pc, boot it!

no idea what happened, I like it when my pc glitches.
Wed 30/01/02 at 23:01
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Hi

Just in case ... from bitter experience (not on this machine), I know that McAfee AntiVirus can screw around with Freecell, so it might be your virus checker itself thats causing the problem.
Thu 31/01/02 at 11:15
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
yeah i have McAfee, but it's not just Freecell, it was everything to do with the printer that wasn't working, I have no idea how Freecell was connected to it.
Thu 31/01/02 at 19:21
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Just re-install Windows...

If you re-install it without formatting the harddrive you wont lose any information... it will just replace the Windows files...

Although... you will have to spend a while getting the Windows updates again...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.