GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube price tag"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/02 at 18:56
Regular
David Gosen, MD of Nintendo Europe has finally long-established that the Nintendo Gamecube will be on UK shelves on May 3rd, and its price will be set at a wonderful £150.

My guess is that Nintendo have decided a price tag as good as this because they do not need to price drop the console in one or even two years from now, in the way Sony has already shown with their PlayStation 2. It’s obvious that Nintendo have used their head as usual and thought of selling the Gamecube at a sale price at launch day, rather then waiting sometime for it to go down in price over the years. The same thing regards to XBOX. Both the PS2 and the XBOX have started at a near enough £300. We all know this is very high and classed as robbery, especially since neither, Sony or Microsoft gave anything in the packaging; no DVD remote, no Memory Card, (European release), no DVD playback out of the box, (Microsoft XBOX), and the worst thing of them all…not even one single game packaged along with the console. Sony has an even bigger problem, what with their PS2 consisting of only two lousy control ports, and all. I mean, how could they have not learnt anything since the release of the original PlayStation years ago? They should realise by now that a multi-port, embedded within the console is needed to save us money. Why does Sony have to be so awkward? It’s not like they have no money so spare, or a deadline to obey by.

I understand that the Gamecube will not play DVD movies, and that may be the reason for its outstanding selling price, but it doesn’t even matter; games are made to play on consoles, and DVD movies are made to play on DVD players. I agree it’s nice to have a console so revolutionary that it caters for all those ideas, but there is no need for it, especially since now that almost everyone owns a decent enough DVD player to keep them satisfied. And yes, it would be a space-saver as well, but nonetheless, I think that Nintendo have understood exactly what gamers are looking for in a console, not to mention a selling price, and what they have done for the Gamecube is a great idea and will make sales go up and up. I know they will do well, but I still wish them the best of luck come launch day.

My final thought:
What Nintendo have done is fantastic and surely a great idea, which will not only push sales higher than ever before, but also create some tough competition for Sony, as well as Microsoft.

Well-done Nintendo…very well-done!
Tue 29/01/02 at 18:56
David Gosen, MD of Nintendo Europe has finally long-established that the Nintendo Gamecube will be on UK shelves on May 3rd, and its price will be set at a wonderful £150.

My guess is that Nintendo have decided a price tag as good as this because they do not need to price drop the console in one or even two years from now, in the way Sony has already shown with their PlayStation 2. It’s obvious that Nintendo have used their head as usual and thought of selling the Gamecube at a sale price at launch day, rather then waiting sometime for it to go down in price over the years. The same thing regards to XBOX. Both the PS2 and the XBOX have started at a near enough £300. We all know this is very high and classed as robbery, especially since neither, Sony or Microsoft gave anything in the packaging; no DVD remote, no Memory Card, (European release), no DVD playback out of the box, (Microsoft XBOX), and the worst thing of them all…not even one single game packaged along with the console. Sony has an even bigger problem, what with their PS2 consisting of only two lousy control ports, and all. I mean, how could they have not learnt anything since the release of the original PlayStation years ago? They should realise by now that a multi-port, embedded within the console is needed to save us money. Why does Sony have to be so awkward? It’s not like they have no money so spare, or a deadline to obey by.

I understand that the Gamecube will not play DVD movies, and that may be the reason for its outstanding selling price, but it doesn’t even matter; games are made to play on consoles, and DVD movies are made to play on DVD players. I agree it’s nice to have a console so revolutionary that it caters for all those ideas, but there is no need for it, especially since now that almost everyone owns a decent enough DVD player to keep them satisfied. And yes, it would be a space-saver as well, but nonetheless, I think that Nintendo have understood exactly what gamers are looking for in a console, not to mention a selling price, and what they have done for the Gamecube is a great idea and will make sales go up and up. I know they will do well, but I still wish them the best of luck come launch day.

My final thought:
What Nintendo have done is fantastic and surely a great idea, which will not only push sales higher than ever before, but also create some tough competition for Sony, as well as Microsoft.

Well-done Nintendo…very well-done!
Tue 29/01/02 at 19:02
Regular
"Whatever!"
Yep - Well done the big N!!
Tue 29/01/02 at 19:09
Regular
"everyone says it"
Nintendo have thought about its GameCube launch.

They picked a date where the market is at a so-called blank area. Before the world cups with a couple of football games and Resident Evil (WHICH LOOKS SO BLOODY GOOD) launching alongside the film.

Now if my sources are right (Sainsbury's meat lady) then the film trailer of Resident Evil will co-inside with the game.

Cannot wait for that.

*goes back to watch another RE movie*
Tue 29/01/02 at 19:59
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Jedi Warrior wrote:
My guess is that Nintendo have decided a price tag as
> good as this because they do not need to price drop the console in one or even
> two years from now, in the way Sony has already shown with their PlayStation 2.

Nintendo will still drop there price of the GC. X-Box is £300 due to its HDD and probably the amount of plastic it uses for its casing :). The PS2 was also expensive due to the extra taxes occured by have a DVD player built in. Both the X-Box and PS2(Launch) are selling cheaper than it cost to make them. Nintendo, havent got the DVD taxes or the HDD. There console could be made cheaper than the others due to different parts e.t.c, but I dont know. Nintendo may be selling the console at a loss as well.

But why we see cost reductions, is mainly due to the price it costs to make a console. Over the years in a console lif, the technolgy gets old and very easy to make. The PSX has now become 1/3 of the orginal size in the shape of the PSone.

I think the PS2 will be £169 soon and the X-Box will see a price cut by christmas time. Even the GC may become cheaper near christmas.
Tue 29/01/02 at 20:18
adrian, it's the games that sell the console, not the fact that it has DVD playback or not. Yes, a HDD is great to have because it saves you a lot of money than having to buy a Memory Card, but how much space do you possibly need just to save your game files. Sony and Microsoft say that you can download games/demos from the Net, which is a fantastic treat and one that I cannot argue with, but as I said...it's the games that make the console...not it's extras. Besides, the GC does consist of Broadband, as well as standard Internet Connection, also.

I appreciate what you said though, and thank you for the reply Adrian.
Tue 29/01/02 at 20:29
General note:

Nintendo have also mentioned that console developers, Sony and Microsoft being prime examples, are pushing the games industry in the wrong direction. They say that consoles are made for games and games only, and DVD movies are made for DVD players.

I don't blame them one bit. If you want a DVD player...buy one. It's simple. In fact...I think that's why Gamecube has far superior graphics than the PS2. It's mainly the developers of the game that makes the detail that much better, but it's also the console's processor, as well as other abilities, too. I bet that having no DVD playback on the GC has made the console that much better, because its power is all generated into the gaming device, rather than a certain percent of it being used for DVD movies.

Maybe I am wrong; I don't know much about producing consoles, but that's my opinion, anyway.
Tue 29/01/02 at 20:33
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I heard it was going to be around £500
Tue 29/01/02 at 20:46
SHEEPY wrote:
> I heard it was going to be around £500

WOW! You're kidding! With a price tag like that, it sounds like the console can fly or something, lol.

Seriously though, many Nintendo fans were expecting a £200 mark. Who would have expected it to be this good?

Anyway, I will surely buy one if I can afford to; it's just that horrible controller that puts me off buying the Gamecube. Hopefully though, Nintendo will decide to produce extra controllers for it. Even if they are Third-Party peripherals it doesn't matter, just as long as they do the job correctly.
Tue 29/01/02 at 20:49
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I was only joking, sorry :)

Sheepy: Knows little about gaming
Tue 29/01/02 at 20:49
The GameCube controller has been rated as the most usefull and natural to hold! It looks brilliant and it had five years spent on it's development so it's bound to be good!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.