GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Something that happened on my holiday. Read this."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/01/03 at 21:46
Regular
Chapter Nine

The Jackass Stunt

“Feeling pain is only worth it if money is involved”

All my life I’ve always wanted to skate. To be like Tony Hawk or Bam Magera and be the best. To land a kickflip or a 180 and act like it was nothing. To land the 900 and have people praise me left, right and centre. But like most things in my life it is just a distant dream. I can never do that. Even when I look at my board I know I’ll never do it. I don’t have the edge. The courage to skate along dangerous ramps and up 10 metre half pipes. It will never happen.

It wasn’t until one very frosty day on Monday 6th January 2003 that something I never ever thought would happen. I was meeting Bob, Ray, Jack and Ryan in Sol Goles at 10am. I picked up Jack at his house and we stopped inside the car park. I stepped out, closely followed by Jack and felt the cold wind all over my body. I shivered then picked up my board out of the boot and walked over to the park itself.

It was a wonderful sight. Two half pipes with several ramps scattered around the outer area, a great 5-a-side football court in the middle and even a full size basketball court on the far left. And best of all, there was no other people. A perfect way to practice skating.

Ryan was already there and practising his football skills until he noticed us. He walked over to us. “Where’s Ray and Bob?” he asked.
“Must be running late, I guess.” I replied.
I grabbed Ryan’s basketball and began dribbling while Jack skated hopelessly on my skateboard. It was only around four minutes five seconds till Ray and Bob turned up with a smaller person walking behind. “Oh no” I muttered to myself. “It better not be…” But I never finished as Bob introduced the little runt to all and told us it was his brother. I turned round and angrily stamped the floor. “Great!” I shouted and returned to bouncing.

We played for a bit then made our way home. It was then that Bob had an idea. I looked at Ray and said to him “Do you think we should bother to listen?” He starred at me coldly. I laughed to myself and then turned to Bob. “So what idea you got then?”
“How about we skate and record it on camera?”
Ray and I looked at each other and leaned forward. “And that would prove…” I said trying not to laugh. “No it wouldn’t prove anything but…”
“Exactly!” shouted Ray. “So what’s the point? Well… except for making complete idiots of ourselves. Actually too late for Bob. He’s done it too many times” I laughed while Bob hit Ray in the leg. “Shut up and listen! Why not record us skating on the half pipe and send it into “You’ve Been Framed?” It’s £250 for the ones that go on air.” I looked in my wallet and found nothing except a voucher that had expired. I looked at Bob. He seemed pretty serious. “That’s got to be the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard!” screamed while laughing. “It’s stupid, it’s dangerous… I mean… you could break your leg or arm or even neck… and… er… who knows if we’ll ever get on… I mean there’s probably 1000’s of entries and…”
“I’ll do it!” I said proudly.

I kept thinking over and over in my head why I decided to do it. I could break a limb or end up in a coma. I peered outside my bedroom window. Not as if the weather was helping either anyway. Tiny bits of snow with massive pieces of ice everywhere looked like a hazard waiting to happen.

Walking down the stairs I heard my mum. I dare not tell her about what I was doing. She’d kill me… wait! She’d lock me in my room, lecture me and then kill me. I also realised Bob also asked me to get the camera, as I was the only one with one. Just one problem though. It was my dad’s. Was it a risk worth taking? Probably. Not as if anything was going to happen to it. I also needed my board. So not too impossible. All I need is to remember my board, my dad’s camera, loads of padding and also a first aid kit. Easy!

Tuesday 7th and my first day back at school. Planning was needed to be done and in charge of that was Ryan. He was small but had a loud mouth. He told Bob and me we were doing the dangerous part and he would work out the rest. Great the hard part’s done then?

For the rest of the day I was looking for someone reliable to film with a £2000 camera. There was Joe or George or Steve. But whom could I trust? Paul? No! The amount of pranks I’ve played on him is endless. He would be as careful as a blind person would. So who? Just then Ryan walked up to me. “Noooooo” I whispered. “What do you want?” I asked. “Nothing much. Just came to see if you were willing to drop into the half pipe then transfer to the next and land at the top of the end pipe?” I looked at him like he was speaking another language. “Are you crazy? I can barely skate, and I’ve never gone down a half pipe in my life.” He starred back, “Well if you want it to be realistic we have to make it look as if it is your first time.”
“But it is my first time!” Ryan wasn’t listening and decided to wander off into the next room probably looking for Bob to tell him the great news. I stood looking grey and said to myself “only three more days to go before my fifth trip to the hospital.”
1. Being born
2. Smashing my head open
3. My mum’s back problem
4. Have no idea what happened on the forth time

It was looking grim and I needed a way of getting better so as not to break too much. I needed to practise. It was the only way. I quickly grabbed my board and ran to the street behind my house. I rode for a while then built up the courage to try an Ollie while moving fast. The results were terrible. 5 bails and not a single step forward. I needed to get better, faster. So I decided tomorrow would be the day I go to that half pipe and try it. For the first time I would skate down a half pipe.

Next day things were getting worse. I got a detention for talking and also, it was snowing. Not very much but after hearing that it would stay like this I couldn’t help but be disappointed. The day went by very slowly. I couldn’t help thinking of what may happen on Saturday. Would I break my leg? Would I break my arm? My neck? I couldn’t think about that now. All I needed to concentrate on was getting better at skating. It needed to be done tonight. I was going to do it. Definitely!

Problem was when I got home my little brother needed looking after and my parents were out. Guess it will have to be tomorrow.

But tomorrow wasn’t a good day either as after school I had to serve my detention and then after that it was back home to do my paper round. Great fun that was! Tomorrow was my last day and if I didn’t do it then, it would be curtains on Saturday!

Find out what happens soon in the continuing part of The Jackass Stunt.
Thu 09/01/03 at 12:24
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Excellent work. It sounds like you're going to do a bail of immense proportions! Good luck and try to strap up knees and elbows before you go...
Thu 09/01/03 at 12:23
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Excellent work. It sounds like you're going to do a bail of immense proportions! Good luck and try to strap up knees and elbows before you go...
Thu 09/01/03 at 01:34
Regular
hurray

some entertainment

be sure to upload the vid somewhere, whatever happens
Wed 08/01/03 at 22:15
Regular
"One More Chance"
Your just plain stupid. You deserve to seriously injure yourself.

You can’t even Ollie while skating and your attempting to jump between 2 different half pipes?

Dude.
Wed 08/01/03 at 21:57
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Erm, skating is good, learning to skate is better.

Killing yourself is not.

You do realise that it's not going to happen, you're first time down a half pipe and then attempting to transfer over to another!? Yeah, good luck, seriously!
Wed 08/01/03 at 21:46
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Chapter Nine

The Jackass Stunt

“Feeling pain is only worth it if money is involved”

All my life I’ve always wanted to skate. To be like Tony Hawk or Bam Magera and be the best. To land a kickflip or a 180 and act like it was nothing. To land the 900 and have people praise me left, right and centre. But like most things in my life it is just a distant dream. I can never do that. Even when I look at my board I know I’ll never do it. I don’t have the edge. The courage to skate along dangerous ramps and up 10 metre half pipes. It will never happen.

It wasn’t until one very frosty day on Monday 6th January 2003 that something I never ever thought would happen. I was meeting Bob, Ray, Jack and Ryan in Sol Goles at 10am. I picked up Jack at his house and we stopped inside the car park. I stepped out, closely followed by Jack and felt the cold wind all over my body. I shivered then picked up my board out of the boot and walked over to the park itself.

It was a wonderful sight. Two half pipes with several ramps scattered around the outer area, a great 5-a-side football court in the middle and even a full size basketball court on the far left. And best of all, there was no other people. A perfect way to practice skating.

Ryan was already there and practising his football skills until he noticed us. He walked over to us. “Where’s Ray and Bob?” he asked.
“Must be running late, I guess.” I replied.
I grabbed Ryan’s basketball and began dribbling while Jack skated hopelessly on my skateboard. It was only around four minutes five seconds till Ray and Bob turned up with a smaller person walking behind. “Oh no” I muttered to myself. “It better not be…” But I never finished as Bob introduced the little runt to all and told us it was his brother. I turned round and angrily stamped the floor. “Great!” I shouted and returned to bouncing.

We played for a bit then made our way home. It was then that Bob had an idea. I looked at Ray and said to him “Do you think we should bother to listen?” He starred at me coldly. I laughed to myself and then turned to Bob. “So what idea you got then?”
“How about we skate and record it on camera?”
Ray and I looked at each other and leaned forward. “And that would prove…” I said trying not to laugh. “No it wouldn’t prove anything but…”
“Exactly!” shouted Ray. “So what’s the point? Well… except for making complete idiots of ourselves. Actually too late for Bob. He’s done it too many times” I laughed while Bob hit Ray in the leg. “Shut up and listen! Why not record us skating on the half pipe and send it into “You’ve Been Framed?” It’s £250 for the ones that go on air.” I looked in my wallet and found nothing except a voucher that had expired. I looked at Bob. He seemed pretty serious. “That’s got to be the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard!” screamed while laughing. “It’s stupid, it’s dangerous… I mean… you could break your leg or arm or even neck… and… er… who knows if we’ll ever get on… I mean there’s probably 1000’s of entries and…”
“I’ll do it!” I said proudly.

I kept thinking over and over in my head why I decided to do it. I could break a limb or end up in a coma. I peered outside my bedroom window. Not as if the weather was helping either anyway. Tiny bits of snow with massive pieces of ice everywhere looked like a hazard waiting to happen.

Walking down the stairs I heard my mum. I dare not tell her about what I was doing. She’d kill me… wait! She’d lock me in my room, lecture me and then kill me. I also realised Bob also asked me to get the camera, as I was the only one with one. Just one problem though. It was my dad’s. Was it a risk worth taking? Probably. Not as if anything was going to happen to it. I also needed my board. So not too impossible. All I need is to remember my board, my dad’s camera, loads of padding and also a first aid kit. Easy!

Tuesday 7th and my first day back at school. Planning was needed to be done and in charge of that was Ryan. He was small but had a loud mouth. He told Bob and me we were doing the dangerous part and he would work out the rest. Great the hard part’s done then?

For the rest of the day I was looking for someone reliable to film with a £2000 camera. There was Joe or George or Steve. But whom could I trust? Paul? No! The amount of pranks I’ve played on him is endless. He would be as careful as a blind person would. So who? Just then Ryan walked up to me. “Noooooo” I whispered. “What do you want?” I asked. “Nothing much. Just came to see if you were willing to drop into the half pipe then transfer to the next and land at the top of the end pipe?” I looked at him like he was speaking another language. “Are you crazy? I can barely skate, and I’ve never gone down a half pipe in my life.” He starred back, “Well if you want it to be realistic we have to make it look as if it is your first time.”
“But it is my first time!” Ryan wasn’t listening and decided to wander off into the next room probably looking for Bob to tell him the great news. I stood looking grey and said to myself “only three more days to go before my fifth trip to the hospital.”
1. Being born
2. Smashing my head open
3. My mum’s back problem
4. Have no idea what happened on the forth time

It was looking grim and I needed a way of getting better so as not to break too much. I needed to practise. It was the only way. I quickly grabbed my board and ran to the street behind my house. I rode for a while then built up the courage to try an Ollie while moving fast. The results were terrible. 5 bails and not a single step forward. I needed to get better, faster. So I decided tomorrow would be the day I go to that half pipe and try it. For the first time I would skate down a half pipe.

Next day things were getting worse. I got a detention for talking and also, it was snowing. Not very much but after hearing that it would stay like this I couldn’t help but be disappointed. The day went by very slowly. I couldn’t help thinking of what may happen on Saturday. Would I break my leg? Would I break my arm? My neck? I couldn’t think about that now. All I needed to concentrate on was getting better at skating. It needed to be done tonight. I was going to do it. Definitely!

Problem was when I got home my little brother needed looking after and my parents were out. Guess it will have to be tomorrow.

But tomorrow wasn’t a good day either as after school I had to serve my detention and then after that it was back home to do my paper round. Great fun that was! Tomorrow was my last day and if I didn’t do it then, it would be curtains on Saturday!

Find out what happens soon in the continuing part of The Jackass Stunt.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.