GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bring back the Megadrive/Super Nintendo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/01/03 at 08:35
Regular
When talking about computer games it's hard not to mention some prehistoric game you used to have that took you 4 months to save up for on your measly pocket money. Todays computer games are all singing and all dancing (Britneys Dance Beat for one....bad joke I know) which with enhanced graphics and more complex storylines get you more involved with the game as a whole. However if Sega/Nintendo decided that for a period of 1 year they were going to Re-relesae the Megadrive/Super Nintendo - how would it fair against sales of the PS2/X-Box/Cube.

Obviously I wouldn't expect them to outsell the latest technology and it'd probably only be those who sold their old console in exchange for a bag of chips thinking thats all it's worth with consoles like the Playstation and the Laughable Saturn hitting the market (Did anyone actually buy one of those?), that would repurchase them rather than younger gamers. BUT as you can discover from previous posts on the Retro Games Forum, the old classic games never die, and while they may possibly get converted onto a newer format with fancy options, sometimes we'd prefer not to have the fancy 3 course meal and would rather settle for a Big Mac and Fries...in this case good 'ol 16-bit gaming.

I'm not saying technology can't be a part of bring Retro Gaming back, as imagine the size they could make a Megadrive or Super Nintendo now (just look at the down-size of the Playstation to the PS1), and then they could release it in some fancy colours like Platinum, Gold, and the Original black or Grey. As it would then be smaller, the production costs would be only a fraction of what they once were, especially with materials such as plastic and silicone costing far less than they did 10 years ago. The selling cost could would probably be low especially if you see you can buy a PS1 for under £50 now, but then you could have retro gaming and stock up on all those old classics you wish you still had!

Games for either could be produced at a minimal cost and then could sell for maybe £9.99 each, but they'd have to be on a cartridge as they used to be. I mean nothing beats the feeling of playing a game that has a quicker loading time that Wynona Rider armed with 2 suitcases in Bloomingdales...and thats fast. I for one would be keen to resurrect these consoles from the dead, with a new and improved look, as for those more sceptical among us, just remember what made you enjoy gaming so much in the first place.

Therefore if Sega or Nintendo read this I have a message for each:

Sega - I'm not asking you to sell your soul (will a Fiver do?), and you don't see to be doing, well anything - Get some credibility back while you can unless you want the Saturn or Dreamcast to remain as your last released console...ha ha ha...sorry!

Nintendo - Yes people DID like the breeze block of a console you used to make...SOOOO, stop wasting your time on the Cube and bring back the draft exclude
Fri 10/01/03 at 20:48
Regular
"smile, it's free"
As has been pointed out already, the GBA is basically a handheld SNES, albeit slightly more powerful and with fewer buttons.

You don't see GBA games retailing for £9.99 though, do you?

The problem with compilations of old games on a single cartridge or CD, is to do with who owns the rights to them. Most of the time you'll find that all the best titles are owned by different companies, who won't co-operate with rivals to produce a compilation cartridge. The nearest they will get is being convinced that a compilation cart of old games might make some money.

So they then decide that they are much better off doing a bundle of all their own games, with no worries about splitting profits and production costs with other companies. What happens next, is that they take one or two of their better releases (keeping the rest back for future compilations, in case this one makes some money) together with a whole load of awful ones, and put them all together with minimal effort. This is then released as a 'Capcom classics' pack, or something on a similar vein.

The final result is that it hardly sells at all.

This is partly because the company in question put very few of their best titles on the cart, and partly because individual companies don't vary their games much. They tend always to make games of the same genre, because they tend only to be good at one. EA only do sports games, for example. An EA retro compilation therefore, will most likely have a couple of sports sims as the decent titles. Probably both from the same series, too. Nobody wants two copies of essentially the same game.

We won't ever get decent compilations until companies start buying the right to games from each other, specifically for the purpose of releasing retro games. And you know why that won't happen?

Yes, that's right. It's because they'll think "Hey, we could do this just with games we made..."
Fri 10/01/03 at 13:52
Regular
"The World is Dead"
That Idea is brilliant. the size would be amazingly small nowadays. you could make them the same size as the but wait.if you hadn't noticed. the GBA is just a small SNES. and nintendo are bringing back some popular old games. like zelda3 and mario world. plus sega are also making some new side-scroller sonic games for the GBA.

nice idea though.
Thu 09/01/03 at 10:11
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I've often thought it would be great if Nintendo/Sega/Capcom/Konami etc re-released games collections on newer consoles, thus giving games fans classic games to re-live (similar to Mario Allstars on the SNES). You could have "The Megaman Collection", or a large selection of Capcom side-scrolling beat 'em ups, or loads of SNK 2D beat 'em ups, and a whole host of classic 8 & 16 bit Nintendo & Sega collections.
Seeing as games companies no longer make any profits from those old games, it might also be in their interests to re-release them.

I guess a test of that idea would be to see how well the Sonic collection thing on the Gamecube sells.
Thu 09/01/03 at 08:35
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
When talking about computer games it's hard not to mention some prehistoric game you used to have that took you 4 months to save up for on your measly pocket money. Todays computer games are all singing and all dancing (Britneys Dance Beat for one....bad joke I know) which with enhanced graphics and more complex storylines get you more involved with the game as a whole. However if Sega/Nintendo decided that for a period of 1 year they were going to Re-relesae the Megadrive/Super Nintendo - how would it fair against sales of the PS2/X-Box/Cube.

Obviously I wouldn't expect them to outsell the latest technology and it'd probably only be those who sold their old console in exchange for a bag of chips thinking thats all it's worth with consoles like the Playstation and the Laughable Saturn hitting the market (Did anyone actually buy one of those?), that would repurchase them rather than younger gamers. BUT as you can discover from previous posts on the Retro Games Forum, the old classic games never die, and while they may possibly get converted onto a newer format with fancy options, sometimes we'd prefer not to have the fancy 3 course meal and would rather settle for a Big Mac and Fries...in this case good 'ol 16-bit gaming.

I'm not saying technology can't be a part of bring Retro Gaming back, as imagine the size they could make a Megadrive or Super Nintendo now (just look at the down-size of the Playstation to the PS1), and then they could release it in some fancy colours like Platinum, Gold, and the Original black or Grey. As it would then be smaller, the production costs would be only a fraction of what they once were, especially with materials such as plastic and silicone costing far less than they did 10 years ago. The selling cost could would probably be low especially if you see you can buy a PS1 for under £50 now, but then you could have retro gaming and stock up on all those old classics you wish you still had!

Games for either could be produced at a minimal cost and then could sell for maybe £9.99 each, but they'd have to be on a cartridge as they used to be. I mean nothing beats the feeling of playing a game that has a quicker loading time that Wynona Rider armed with 2 suitcases in Bloomingdales...and thats fast. I for one would be keen to resurrect these consoles from the dead, with a new and improved look, as for those more sceptical among us, just remember what made you enjoy gaming so much in the first place.

Therefore if Sega or Nintendo read this I have a message for each:

Sega - I'm not asking you to sell your soul (will a Fiver do?), and you don't see to be doing, well anything - Get some credibility back while you can unless you want the Saturn or Dreamcast to remain as your last released console...ha ha ha...sorry!

Nintendo - Yes people DID like the breeze block of a console you used to make...SOOOO, stop wasting your time on the Cube and bring back the draft exclude

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.