GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game boy advance sp, hands on play test"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/01/03 at 16:36
Regular
Taken from:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com /news/news_story.php?id=85281
(space after .com)

"As we predicted yesterday, Nintendo chose to unveil its GBA successor via a range of global announcements over the course of the last 24 hours. The crucial facts: GBA SP comes with a front-lit screen, a flip-top design, is powered by a rechargeable lithium ion battery, and folds up to, what is effectively, half the size of the current GBA. Hard. Core.
Firstly, we'd like to make it clear that, overall, we believe the new Game Boy Advance SP to be a brilliant piece of hardware. The aesthetic is highly reminiscent of an executive toy, more than a mere games console, and is a conscious move by Nintendo to appeal to an older demographic. As Nintendo of Europe MD, David Gosen, stated in his address: "GBA SP is a high-aspirational, innovative and image conscious product."

And for those interested in just what "SP" stands for, European product manager, Marko Hein, told us: "It stands for 'Special Project', which is a term used by the designers in Japan, during the development cycle." So now you know.

When we first got our hands on the hardware it was a deeply moving moment, right up there with our first pint of strong continental lager. Folded up, GBA SP is tiny, and, as you can see from our photos and movie, when opened it's as long as GBA is wide. But actually holding the machine is notably different from the standard GBA, due to the reduced area.

To account for this, Nintendo has reworked the shoulder buttons, making them protrude more, which works well with the new design. The D-pad has also been redesigned and sits deeper in the pad, feeling far more robust and comfortable.

The volume switch has also undergone a redesign, now appearing as a sliding bar rather than a wheel. The only addition to the controls is the light switch, situated in the top-middle of the pad, which allows you to switch the screen illuminator on or off at any time.

In terms of handling, some of us absolutely adored the feel of SP, while others expressed concerns that it might be a little too small to be comfortable over long periods. It's clearly a radical redesign - which has been compared to a digital camera or mini disc player - and only time will tell.

Next, the battery. Nintendo insists that it held off with the lit-screen until battery technology became sufficiently advanced. (Well it would, wouldn't it?) GBA SP is powered by a rechargeable lithium battery, which provides ten hours of play with the light on, and eighteen with it off.

And any fears about the longevity of the battery were dismissed by Gosen, who said: "Our people in Japan tell us, even after 300-400 recharges, to expect 75 percent efficiency." That'll do nicely.

One slight downer is the rather inexplicable lack of a headphone socket. Further investigation revealed that a further purchase is required if you want to plug in and shut out the real world. A spokesperson for Nintendo told us: "You will need an additional adaptor to use headphones, which will slot in the same socket as the power adaptor." The spokesperson cited reasons of space on the reduced hardware for the lack of this important feature. We're not convinced, but there you go.

All in all, we loved our short time with the SP hardware and came away deeply impressed with Nintendo's latest gadget - and we choose that description carefully. But though it's hard to fault the hardware itself, Nintendo failed to address the issue of third-party software support in detail. Developing for GBA is a relatively costly endeavour, which has forced numerous developers (including the high-profile Crawfish) out of business, and doesn't currently offer a great incentive for many to take the creative plunge.

If Nintendo is to appeal to an older demographic and take handheld gaming to the next level, extensive third-party support is essential and it will be interesting to see how the industry reacts to the release of this new hardware.

But to end on a positive note, we present you with footage of Gosen announcing the SP hardware for the first time, and a clip of us toying with it, showing the size of the machine in relation to the current GBA, the flip-top in action, the screen light and more. Enjoy"

So, i can't wait for the new gba, well i couldn't wait before, but now i want it even more that i know the control set up is more confortable, but i'll miss using my headphones, nintendo i'm in your hands......
So don't squash me
Wed 15/01/03 at 12:27
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
AshMan wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> Hey cookie monster, how much do you reckon I could get for a very
> good
> quality GBA and a couple of GBC games?
>
> Maybe about £60-£65.
>
> i got £90 : )

I think you got lucky then.

Either that they were great games.
Tue 14/01/03 at 20:45
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
cookie monster wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> Hey cookie monster, how much do you reckon I could get for a very
> good
>
> Maybe about £60-£65.

i got £90 : )
Tue 14/01/03 at 20:06
Regular
"keep your receipt"
The only GBC game that doesn't work with the SP is Kirby's tilt 'n' roll, because the motion sensor inside the cart isn't designed for the SP's tiny size.
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:21
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Hey cookie monster, how much do you reckon I could get for a very good

Maybe about £60-£65.
Mon 13/01/03 at 20:39
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
m.o.t wrote:
> This might sound thick but the new games for the GBA SP will still
> work with the GBA, won't they?? and i have recently brought an
> E-reader but looking at the SP pictures there isn't anywhere to fit
> it!!! Does it work with the e-reader????

e-reader will work

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/382/382062p1.html

and above is proof if u wannit!
Mon 13/01/03 at 20:30
Regular
Hey cookie monster, how much do you reckon I could get for a very good quality GBA and a couple of GBC games?
Sun 12/01/03 at 18:43
Regular
"muffinknight"
e im selling my gba with 3 single games battery pack and a 58 in 1 gba game email me at [email protected]
Sun 12/01/03 at 18:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well, my GBA has been snapped up on ebay.

*pockets £60 for the GBASP fund*
Sun 12/01/03 at 04:05
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Drat and double drat

(stupid double post)
Sun 12/01/03 at 04:03
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Hmmm I think I'll have to wait until I graduate and get a job before I will be able to get the sp (amongst the many other things I will be trying to save for)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.