GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Using Java Applets on Freeola hosted sites"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/01/02 at 12:25
Regular
I don't want to get into debugging Java code here but, is anyone aware of any restrictions or limitations when using Java Applets on your Freeola hosted websites? I have tried using a couple of password applets that work as expected when I am developing my website on my PC but they exhibit strange behaviour when uploaded as part of my website.

Anything I should look out for?
Mon 28/01/02 at 12:25
I don't want to get into debugging Java code here but, is anyone aware of any restrictions or limitations when using Java Applets on your Freeola hosted websites? I have tried using a couple of password applets that work as expected when I am developing my website on my PC but they exhibit strange behaviour when uploaded as part of my website.

Anything I should look out for?
Mon 28/01/02 at 23:44
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Java Applets run through the browser, and are downloaded to the user like any other static Web Page, so it's unlikly than any problems with your Applet are are caused by Freeola's Servers.
Tue 29/01/02 at 13:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Not so, many applets are also server side.
Tue 29/01/02 at 23:31
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Turbonutter wrote: Not so, many applets are also server side.

Oops, my bad. But I wouldn't have thougt any problems would be down to Freeola ... or would you dissagree Rob??
Tue 29/01/02 at 23:35
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
lol... depends on the applet. I guess the only way is to try it.
Wed 30/01/02 at 01:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
server side applet? :)

An applet is a program that runs in your browser under a java virtual machine. If it was running server side then it wouldnt be running in your browser, hence it wouldn't be an applet. :)

-G
Wed 30/01/02 at 02:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
No actually thats not entirely true...

Netscape call servlets, server side applets. :)
But who cares what Netscape thinks. :P
I'm sticking with Sun's definition.

I don't think freeola support servlets anyway?

-G
Wed 30/01/02 at 15:25
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Garin wrote: server side applet? :)

So you mean I was actually kinda correct with what I said first off. :o)
Wed 30/01/02 at 18:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I actually downloaded two applets (Ecom thing) once that needed a version server-side, and they were called applets, so I always thoughts applets were both client and server side. Anyway, I suppose it always depends on the definition.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.