GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Build my new PC!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 14:57
Regular
Hmm, posted this this morning but it was a bit screwed up and now seems to have been deleted, so here we go again:

Coz I'm a lazy kind of guy, I thought it'd be good my health if you lot came up with all the junk that should go in my new PC. I decided to take the plunge the other day, after realising there are so many amazing FPSs on the horizon that I just HAVE to have.
Trouble is, I reckon my weedy Duron 825, 384mb RAM and Geforce2 MX will have GREAT difficulties even thinking about them! So, it's time for a massive upgrade! My budget is £1500 (the wonders of saving) and I plan to keep my combo DVD/CD-RW drive, CD drive, keyboard and mouse.

Well what are you waiting for?! What is the most powerful system I can build for this kind of money?

Oh yeah, and don't worry about sound, coz I'm quite happy with my SB512/headphones setup. Might keep my 17inch monitor aswell. :/
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:40
Regular
They are actually a waste of money... overpaying them for something where u can actually find something better spec'd but cheaper..
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:41
Regular
"http://fabio2003.tk"
IF you want a new pc- order it from www.dell.co.uk

Much better quality really
Sun 26/01/03 at 03:54
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Athlon XP2400
Nforce2 board
Geforce4 TI4600
512MB RAM
SB Audigy
Nice case
Nice PSU
Decent Processor fan
Soundproofing
21" Sony Monitor
2 x Seagate 80GB Hard Disks

I specced that lot up for £1155, add in a new keyboard and mouse (unless your current keyboard/mouse are very new and plush) and you're looking at just shy of £1200. I think you'd be a mug to spend any more, tbh. That computer will go like greased lightning, that monitor will look *amazing* and unlike other machines this one won't sound like a Jumbo Jet taking off. People pour far too much money and attention on performance, without the balancing features to go with it.
Mon 13/01/03 at 20:11
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
mcg_highlander, that's a very good point you've made about waiting. Suppose it would be best to wait until I actually need the new system, so I can maximise value for money. Unfortunately, a 1meg connection is out of the question, as I tried to get 512kb ADSL here last year and couldn't do so. Pretty disappointing considering my mate down the road has got it! (BT said they'd let me know when I could).
But just one point - I only mentioned what should I get, not where I should get it from!

Cookie, I'm not really interested in buying a complete system. Much rather build my own, if only for the fun that's had from doing so! :)

Thanks for the input guys.
Mon 13/01/03 at 16:38
Regular
a geforce 4ti will play everything fine IMO i heard ATI's have VERY poor drivers... having AGP 8x wont give him too many advantages...
Mon 13/01/03 at 15:01
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Albert's post, along with many others where deleted because of a problem with the site the other night. I don't think it had anything to do with the content of the thread what so ever.
Mon 13/01/03 at 13:27
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
Albert, your post may have been deleted because, if you haven't noticed, this disscusion board belongs to Special Reserve a Hardware and Software supplier/retailer. So if you are asking to build a pc and people are recommending places other than Special Reserve I can see them deleting it.

If I had a £1500 limit for a pc then I would hold off for a couple months as the great FPS don't come out for a while yet (you know there will be delays in them coming out). Wait for Amd releasing their new cpus and Nvidia releasing their GFX cards. Wait for DDR2.

If you can't wait then go for an Athlon 2600+, 512meg 434mhz Corsair Ram, new case, Radeon 9700, new MB which supports 8x AGP and top of the range DDR, make sure you have an intelli-eye mouse get yourself hooked up to 1meg broadband (if you havn't already). You'll probably have at least £500 left so give it to me as commission :P
Mon 13/01/03 at 02:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well it sounds impressive for a start.
Mon 13/01/03 at 02:21
Regular
Why would u need 1gig RAM and a geforce FX....
Mon 13/01/03 at 01:58
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ummmmm.

Athlon 2600xp processor
Geforce FX card
Audigy 2 sound card
1 gig of RAM
Probably a new motherboard

You would probably be better buying a whole new machine, there are some really good deals to be had with PC's these days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.