GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"voice masking gone mad"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 16:11
Regular
For those of you who don't know, Xbox live is centered around a 'communicator' i.e. headset with earphones and mike. If you are a 17 year old girl or just sound like one, it's understandable that you wouldn't want people to hear your actual voice online. So, cleverly, microsoft has thought of everything and allowed you to mask your voice. I, for one, wait in baited breath to try out 'teenage girl'.

But it turns out many of the voice masking options we'd all love to use haven't been included in Xbox live: No lisps, Jonathon Woss style impediments or even 'Stephen Hawking' are available to augment your voice. And you know what else would have been cool? The oppurtunity to switch on a 'translate' button and talk to people of all languages - and, imagine this, an option to translate your speech in 'lylat', you know, the language spoken in Starwing and its puny sequel, Lylat Wars.

The fun needn't end there either. You could try out voice effects like 'backwards', 'helium' and 'gargling'. Imagine the ruckus that would be 16-player Halo, 'Zombies' vs. 'Yapping Puppies' - your voice transformed into the cute sounds of those little Andrex doggies.

All your favourite actors could be sampled by microsoft, have their voice patterns copied and then allow you to recreate scenes from 'Freinds' whilst standing around in Mechassult.

The fact is, the kind of shenanigans that would develop with voice augmentation as fully-fledged as this would be so addictively hillarious that people would crave it outside the world of Xbox. You would walk down the high street one day to find everyone has changed their vocal chords to sound like the powerpuff girls. Your gran phones you up, only you don't recognise her because she's decided she wants to sound like the Lord of the Underworld. God knows how many 12 year old Cartmans, Stans, Kyles and Kennys you would run into on a day-to-day basis, but the people you would really have to worry about are the ones who have modelled their speech patterns, syntax and imaginary words on George 'dubbya' Bush.

So who would I most like to sound like? Here's my top 3:

Ricky Gervais (a bit mainstream, might get boring)
David Dickinson (you know, the guy who presents 'baaargin hoont'
Bill Clinton

Actually, the list could go on forever... MC Hammer, Mario, Sean Connery, Samuel L Jackson, Britney Spears of course, Osama might be a bit too controversial but I'm sure nobody would object to God.

Tell me who you'd like to sound like. Maybe we could send off a list to Bill Gates...
Mon 13/01/03 at 14:31
Regular
Lol! Voice masking has potential.

There's no reason why voices can't be downloaded from Xbox live.
Also, if you're using a voice that someone you're playing doesn't have, perhaps an automatic download (after all, I'm assuming these files are relatively small) could solve that.

It would be a good way to get a collection of cool voices.
Mon 13/01/03 at 01:31
"Lemon eyewash"
i think the entire muppet cast should be selectable LOL imagine that!

Mech assult with kurmit and Ms Piggy

or a blast on Moto GP with Fozzy and gonzo hehe
Sun 12/01/03 at 17:59
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Oh and George W Bush so you could make some truly funny scenes with Tony Blair.
Sun 12/01/03 at 17:57
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Lol Bill Clinton, i bet you soon you will be able to download them. Microsoft wouldnt miss out on this. My ideas of people.

Joe pasqualy(lol his sqeaky voice)
Pierce Brosnen(only if splinter cell was online)
Bart Simpson and Homer(you could act out episodes)
The guy off eurotrash
Ali g
Margaret Thatcher
Tony Blair
Billy Connoly
Brad Pitt
A really old person
A yank
A scotsmaen
A welshman
A irishman
Sun 12/01/03 at 17:35
Regular
Nice Post Tagomi

I'd like to hear Cartmans voice in it, I hope they become downloadable when X-box is officially Live :D
Sun 12/01/03 at 16:11
Regular
"ihateyou+ihopeyoudi"
For those of you who don't know, Xbox live is centered around a 'communicator' i.e. headset with earphones and mike. If you are a 17 year old girl or just sound like one, it's understandable that you wouldn't want people to hear your actual voice online. So, cleverly, microsoft has thought of everything and allowed you to mask your voice. I, for one, wait in baited breath to try out 'teenage girl'.

But it turns out many of the voice masking options we'd all love to use haven't been included in Xbox live: No lisps, Jonathon Woss style impediments or even 'Stephen Hawking' are available to augment your voice. And you know what else would have been cool? The oppurtunity to switch on a 'translate' button and talk to people of all languages - and, imagine this, an option to translate your speech in 'lylat', you know, the language spoken in Starwing and its puny sequel, Lylat Wars.

The fun needn't end there either. You could try out voice effects like 'backwards', 'helium' and 'gargling'. Imagine the ruckus that would be 16-player Halo, 'Zombies' vs. 'Yapping Puppies' - your voice transformed into the cute sounds of those little Andrex doggies.

All your favourite actors could be sampled by microsoft, have their voice patterns copied and then allow you to recreate scenes from 'Freinds' whilst standing around in Mechassult.

The fact is, the kind of shenanigans that would develop with voice augmentation as fully-fledged as this would be so addictively hillarious that people would crave it outside the world of Xbox. You would walk down the high street one day to find everyone has changed their vocal chords to sound like the powerpuff girls. Your gran phones you up, only you don't recognise her because she's decided she wants to sound like the Lord of the Underworld. God knows how many 12 year old Cartmans, Stans, Kyles and Kennys you would run into on a day-to-day basis, but the people you would really have to worry about are the ones who have modelled their speech patterns, syntax and imaginary words on George 'dubbya' Bush.

So who would I most like to sound like? Here's my top 3:

Ricky Gervais (a bit mainstream, might get boring)
David Dickinson (you know, the guy who presents 'baaargin hoont'
Bill Clinton

Actually, the list could go on forever... MC Hammer, Mario, Sean Connery, Samuel L Jackson, Britney Spears of course, Osama might be a bit too controversial but I'm sure nobody would object to God.

Tell me who you'd like to sound like. Maybe we could send off a list to Bill Gates...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.