GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Newbies in the olden days and Newbies these days."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 20:29
Regular
Newbies a.k.a n00bs are now being abused, mocked and spat at from some of the Regulars I believe. This is because they are the ones to blame for making the threads and forums all boring and making them drop. One of the annoying things that Newbies do is that they make a thread that has something to do with helping them in a game, when you can just vist the walkthroughs, cheats or hints in SR, or in any other game website. Another thing that some regulars are annoyed about is to have a thread that is outdated and soooo last year. Some Newbies still make threads about console wars, for example "PlayStation 2 or XBox: vote here", and when you go into the thread, all it says is "Please vote, because I just want to know", with the thought that the Newbie who created that thread just might be the center of attraction. And guess what, they are, in a bad and painful way.

So, what I'm trying to state out is that how are you regulars, who were once Newbies, any different from todays n00bs when you lot (Regulars) were newbies?! Were you lot hated when you first arrived by the other regulars and notables?! Did you all make krappy and annoying threads that made the forums and threads fall?! Or perhaps you didn't because "Console Wars" was such a big topic or issue at that time. So are any of you regulars different from todays n00bs when you were Newbies?! Did you regulars had to go through the same thing as n00bs do/did when you were Newbies?! Or is is just that newbies from the older generation were a lot better and "Kooler" than today's n00bs?! What makes a n00b get hated, what makes them get mocked at, being all annoying and all?! Were any of you regulars hated by other regulars and notables when you were n00bs?! This is one of the things that have been wondering in my mind since I saw a few n00bs being mocked at, and that includes me I'll have to admit!

So, what was the difference between the older generation of Newbies and today's n00bs?

One more question:
Do any of you still think that I should be n00b and hated at?! Do any of you think that I'm like a regular-n00b? Cos I think I am.

*When I said one more question, I lied. Sorry, there was actually 2 there.
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:29
Regular
"Still luv her?! dun"
Newbies a.k.a n00bs are now being abused, mocked and spat at from some of the Regulars I believe. This is because they are the ones to blame for making the threads and forums all boring and making them drop. One of the annoying things that Newbies do is that they make a thread that has something to do with helping them in a game, when you can just vist the walkthroughs, cheats or hints in SR, or in any other game website. Another thing that some regulars are annoyed about is to have a thread that is outdated and soooo last year. Some Newbies still make threads about console wars, for example "PlayStation 2 or XBox: vote here", and when you go into the thread, all it says is "Please vote, because I just want to know", with the thought that the Newbie who created that thread just might be the center of attraction. And guess what, they are, in a bad and painful way.

So, what I'm trying to state out is that how are you regulars, who were once Newbies, any different from todays n00bs when you lot (Regulars) were newbies?! Were you lot hated when you first arrived by the other regulars and notables?! Did you all make krappy and annoying threads that made the forums and threads fall?! Or perhaps you didn't because "Console Wars" was such a big topic or issue at that time. So are any of you regulars different from todays n00bs when you were Newbies?! Did you regulars had to go through the same thing as n00bs do/did when you were Newbies?! Or is is just that newbies from the older generation were a lot better and "Kooler" than today's n00bs?! What makes a n00b get hated, what makes them get mocked at, being all annoying and all?! Were any of you regulars hated by other regulars and notables when you were n00bs?! This is one of the things that have been wondering in my mind since I saw a few n00bs being mocked at, and that includes me I'll have to admit!

So, what was the difference between the older generation of Newbies and today's n00bs?

One more question:
Do any of you still think that I should be n00b and hated at?! Do any of you think that I'm like a regular-n00b? Cos I think I am.

*When I said one more question, I lied. Sorry, there was actually 2 there.
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:38
Regular
well, when I was a n00b I'd been in plenty of other forums and chat places, but when I started, I decided to try and make unique topics which are very rare, not always succeding, and also posting crap, but I wasn't making things which the regualrs critiscised much, only my really bad THE NEW RESI games topic, which was a stupid conversation with a friend really. And not all n00bs are gits, but the majority are, and it's really annoying.
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:39
Regular
"Balls"
arrr, i remeber when i was a noob, serfisticated... and the same as i am now, but i used to be told to shut it, i didnt take no notice but now no one moans or anything, that proves we are harsher on noobs than we are on regulars
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:41
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Well, when I was a n00b in this account, I wasn't hated. I'd been here before, so knew how to write, and not, basically, be an illiterate idiot.
When I first started though, I can't remember, twas ages ago.
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:02
"The Will of D."
When I started I already knew some forum rules, and I certainly don't like to use text talk so the only thing I had to be annoyed at was my post about Final Fantasy, I was being a fanboy and said that Sony nicked the game from Ninty.
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:03
Regular
I'm lucky enough to have been here right since the start, changed accounts.

It pretty much started off as everyone trying to win games, but then it got much more social, and we had a hell of a lot of fun.
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:05
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I remember Rasta being hostile to me.

Not sure why.

It was better when I started.

I think.
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:07
"The Will of D."
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I'm lucky enough to have been here right since the start, changed
> accounts.
>
> It pretty much started off as everyone trying to win games, but then
> it got much more social, and we had a hell of a lot of fun.

Well your not exactly the oldest member, Cyclone on the other hand is.
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:10
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The difference these days is the regulars.

Back when I joined, I can't remember a single person making a hostile comment towards anyone, newbie or not. I try to treat newbies these days the same way I was treated back then.

A lot of the newer regulars around these days though, also seem to treat newbies the same way they themselves were treated when they joined. Which isn't a good thing any more...
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:24
Regular
Mythical Pheonix wrote:
> Grix Thraves wrote:
> I'm lucky enough to have been here right since the start, changed
> accounts.
>
> It pretty much started off as everyone trying to win games, but then
> it got much more social, and we had a hell of a lot of fun.
>
> Well your not exactly the oldest member, Cyclone on the other hand is.

meh? Are you sure?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.