GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hazuki=Suzuki?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/01/03 at 12:23
Regular
I was thinking about Shenmue the other day while reading something on Digitiser about Yu Suzuki and all that he's done over the years. And then somehow I realised how similar the names `Ryo Hazuki` and `Yu Suzuki` really are...

It's true, isn't it. Both names really do sound quite similar!

I'm just wondering if Suzuki tried to make Ryo Hazuki a character based on himself, and perhaps how he would to be?

Could the whole idea of "Shenmue" be based an own personal past experience of his??

Intirguing really, isn't it?
What do you guys think?
Mon 13/01/03 at 12:23
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I was thinking about Shenmue the other day while reading something on Digitiser about Yu Suzuki and all that he's done over the years. And then somehow I realised how similar the names `Ryo Hazuki` and `Yu Suzuki` really are...

It's true, isn't it. Both names really do sound quite similar!

I'm just wondering if Suzuki tried to make Ryo Hazuki a character based on himself, and perhaps how he would to be?

Could the whole idea of "Shenmue" be based an own personal past experience of his??

Intirguing really, isn't it?
What do you guys think?
Mon 13/01/03 at 13:47
Regular
Similiar sounding names, but probably not.
I mean, Ryo is going to turn into some kind of oriental messiah figure.
He is predestined to save the world.
He's the Christ of the piece, and Lan Di is the Anti-Christ.

But having said that, maybe some of the early gameplay happenings and environments were based on Yu Suzuki's childhood.... but that's only natural really.
Mon 13/01/03 at 16:33
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
> But having said that, maybe some of the early gameplay happenings and
> environments were based on Yu Suzuki's childhood.... but that's only
> natural really.

-- You mean his father was killed by a Chinese Mafia bloke? And that he fought thugs down the local harbour. lol, I can see it now.... GO YU!!!! lmao.
Mon 13/01/03 at 17:57
Regular
Console_kid wrote:
> -- You mean his father was killed by a Chinese Mafia bloke? And that
> he fought thugs down the local harbour. lol, I can see it now.... GO
> YU!!!! lmao.

Okay, okay. I was thinking more of collecting those vending machine toys and working at the docks.:-)
Mon 13/01/03 at 20:02
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
lol, I was only kidding...... Maybe he did work at the docks. However if the location in Shenmue 1 is based on a proper Japanese location, then maybe its unlikely that it was not based on his life. However, I expect some things in the game are based on his childhood, for example, he might have had a pond or a cherry tree in his back garden.
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:28
Regular
Yes, his father was killed and he went on a big adventure that inspired him to create a series of completely cack video games, presumably to convey his pain and misery at his father's death.
Mon 13/01/03 at 23:13
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Yes, his father was killed and he went on a big adventure that
> inspired him to create a series of completely cack video games,
> presumably to convey his pain and misery at his father's death.

Kept me entertained for afew weeks.

same cant be said about Skies of Acardia

:-p
Thu 16/01/03 at 16:25
Regular
"Long time no see!"
When I started this idea, I wasn't trying to say that the WHOLE adventure of `Shenmue` would be based around Suzuki's life exactly as it was, just that some elements of his past experiences would be there.

I don't think he wants you to play as him in the game, but as yourself, seeing things perhaps how he has seen them.

Things like the Black Cat incident, and the murder of someone's father (not neccesarily his) are quite believable, and so to are things like the 2 mirrorsl with this being Japanese and all.

What really gets me thinking though is the date, and the time that the whole series is set in...
Why the mid-to-late 1980's? Why not now?
That was also the time that Suzuki first emerged with all those superb Arcade games you can find in Shenmue and Shenmue II, and the leads me to believe that this whole series may be about Suzuki showing us how he achieved his goal of creating games, achieving his own `Shenmue` perhaps?
Fri 17/01/03 at 16:20
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Well theres loads of Theories floating around about him and Shenmue. And to be honest most could possibly be true.

Just gotta ait for Shenmue 3
Fri 17/01/03 at 18:17
Regular
Sounds like a car to me

Suitable for crushing those worthless Shenmue discs under, he's thought of everything!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.