GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Supporting Manchester United - glory hunting or a supporter with passion for the game?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/01/02 at 18:13
Regular
Football is, what I call, the biggest sport in the world!

All of us have our favorite team, and as we sit down every saturday night to watch the footy highlights or sunday to watch the live game, we sit there on the edge of our seats hoping our team wins, get the 3 points and that we climb higher up the league hoping to be challenging for the top spot or a place in Europe.

I have been a Manchester United supporter all my life and have watched the highlights of liturally every match, in which I have seen every goal and every save made and have never got tired of it and probably never will. The problem is when people ask me who I support, it shouldn't really be a concern, but when I proudly say to them, them two words, 'MANCHESTER UNITED', they seem to say another two words right back in my face, 'GLORY HUNTER'. What do they mean by this? That I chose this team because they win trophies. Don't be SILLY!
I chose this team when I was young, not knowing what they were like or how many trophies they had won, but that they were the first team i had watch(accept for the other team on the field) and that I thought that they were good. Also my dad has supported them for most of his life so I am following in the foot steps of him too.

Does this mean that every time a team wins a competition, the teams suopporters now stand under a large sign saying 'GLORY HUNTER'.
Liverpool won alot of cups in the past year or so, so should their supporters now be called 'GLORY HUNTERS'. It doesn't sound right, does it?
West Ham won the Intertoto Cup a couple of seasons back, were their fans called 'GLORY HUNTERS'?

It might sound like I'm getting in a bit of a stress about all this, well I'm not, but its just an on going saga that never stops, and its getting a bit boring.

The thing is, many people I know also support the beloved
MANCHESTER UNITED and celebrate when we have won a competition or a league game....etc but whenever we lose, they seem to shrug their shoulders and foget about it, when there are others that are gutted about it so much that they don't want to go into work or school the next day because they know people are going to laugh at their team! But this doesn't make sense, they are saying that we hunt for glory and then the next minute they are laughing at us because we lost.

Glory is winning and Failure is losing, isn't it???????????

Also, these people that say they support MANCHESTER UNITED and don't worry about the result when we lose aren't real supporters, real supporters are people like the ones at the MAN UTD v ASTON VILLA game, the supporters that run onto the pitch in delight when a player like Van Nistelrooy scores the winning goal to send MAN UTD 3-2 up, surrounding him, hugging him, touching the hair on his head and even sometimes kissing him. This is what the game of football is all about, PASSION, not silly name calling and chanting at the opposition.

This bring me to believe that any supporter, that supports any team, in whatever country can be called a 'GLORY HUNTER' if their team wins something.

I know it might sound a bit pathetic, but if it carries on like supporting a team is going, it is going to get much worse than this!

Thanks for reading my message, I hope you agree and I look foward to reading your replies!
Mon 28/01/02 at 16:54
Regular
"Long time no see!"
mandatare wrote:
> me and solkaer cant be glory hunters.
we support the bristol teams and they're
> both doing crap but we stick by them
UP THE GAS!
we're in the 5th round draw

Difference is....I support the decent half of Bristol, and Man United. And I think i've been doing that since my 8th birthday, when I first started playing football. And that was only in the early 90's! When United hadn't even got the double, and were losing to teams like Everton in cup finals!!
Sun 27/01/02 at 16:12
Regular
"None Stored"
i cant be a glory hunter because ive supported chelsea since i was about 3 years old. but i know some people who are. i have a friend who supported newcastle when they were good, in the mid nineties, but he switched to supporting arsenal half a season before they won the treble.
Sun 27/01/02 at 12:54
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
me and solkaer cant be glory hunters.
we support the bristol teams and they're both doing crap but we stick by them
UP THE GAS!
we're in the 5th round draw
Sun 27/01/02 at 12:49
Regular
"I love Dave music"
I'm 19, I first went to see United in '89, how many trophies had United won (out of the Fergie reign) then? None. Yet all the Liverpool fans call ME a glory supporter....when who were the team dominating the 80's? Liverpool. The fact that they then faded away and United dominated the next ten years seems to have escaped them. Surely they are the real glory supporters, they picked their team when they were winning everything, I picked mine when they won nothing.

My dad was a United fan, having been around when Best, Law and CHarlton were playing. But he was also a supporter in the 70's and 80's when we were dump. He followed them through thick and thin, and passed this on to me. Does this make a glory supporter? I'd like to think not.
Sun 27/01/02 at 12:03
Cheers Solskjær_24 "oleNOTAgunnar".
Hopfully, for liverpool fans, it won't happen to them, but if their team carries on playing as it is they probably will be.
Also i wouldn't be suprised if they weren't called it back in the 70's and 80's, because that was when they were winning liturally everything!
Again,cheers for reading my descussion and replying!
Sun 27/01/02 at 11:48
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yes, I agree, well said. And when people call me a 'glory supporter' I either say 'and how many cups have you won in the last 10 years??' or 'looking at the all-time records, Liverpool have won a lot more than us!!'
It doesn't always work, but it does work quite well with the slower football fans.
And I also think that Liverpool fans will soon be called glory supporters, especially if they beat Arsenal and win the cup this season.
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:13
Football is, what I call, the biggest sport in the world!

All of us have our favorite team, and as we sit down every saturday night to watch the footy highlights or sunday to watch the live game, we sit there on the edge of our seats hoping our team wins, get the 3 points and that we climb higher up the league hoping to be challenging for the top spot or a place in Europe.

I have been a Manchester United supporter all my life and have watched the highlights of liturally every match, in which I have seen every goal and every save made and have never got tired of it and probably never will. The problem is when people ask me who I support, it shouldn't really be a concern, but when I proudly say to them, them two words, 'MANCHESTER UNITED', they seem to say another two words right back in my face, 'GLORY HUNTER'. What do they mean by this? That I chose this team because they win trophies. Don't be SILLY!
I chose this team when I was young, not knowing what they were like or how many trophies they had won, but that they were the first team i had watch(accept for the other team on the field) and that I thought that they were good. Also my dad has supported them for most of his life so I am following in the foot steps of him too.

Does this mean that every time a team wins a competition, the teams suopporters now stand under a large sign saying 'GLORY HUNTER'.
Liverpool won alot of cups in the past year or so, so should their supporters now be called 'GLORY HUNTERS'. It doesn't sound right, does it?
West Ham won the Intertoto Cup a couple of seasons back, were their fans called 'GLORY HUNTERS'?

It might sound like I'm getting in a bit of a stress about all this, well I'm not, but its just an on going saga that never stops, and its getting a bit boring.

The thing is, many people I know also support the beloved
MANCHESTER UNITED and celebrate when we have won a competition or a league game....etc but whenever we lose, they seem to shrug their shoulders and foget about it, when there are others that are gutted about it so much that they don't want to go into work or school the next day because they know people are going to laugh at their team! But this doesn't make sense, they are saying that we hunt for glory and then the next minute they are laughing at us because we lost.

Glory is winning and Failure is losing, isn't it???????????

Also, these people that say they support MANCHESTER UNITED and don't worry about the result when we lose aren't real supporters, real supporters are people like the ones at the MAN UTD v ASTON VILLA game, the supporters that run onto the pitch in delight when a player like Van Nistelrooy scores the winning goal to send MAN UTD 3-2 up, surrounding him, hugging him, touching the hair on his head and even sometimes kissing him. This is what the game of football is all about, PASSION, not silly name calling and chanting at the opposition.

This bring me to believe that any supporter, that supports any team, in whatever country can be called a 'GLORY HUNTER' if their team wins something.

I know it might sound a bit pathetic, but if it carries on like supporting a team is going, it is going to get much worse than this!

Thanks for reading my message, I hope you agree and I look foward to reading your replies!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.