GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Fame or lame?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/01/03 at 13:01
Regular
You may wonder what that strange looking black and green box is at your local game shop, well it’s supposed to be a games console made by the greedy company known as Microsoft.
Microsoft will do anything to get money of you, they think you’re a cash machine at the local bank to be honest I don’t really think that Microsoft care much for their customers, they only care about getting the money.

They’re not that bad are they? Well in some cases yes. Take Windows XP for example.
When it first came out there were some glitches in the software and it would not run on top of some existing software. Microsoft also (in my opinion) overcharged customers for XP for almost £300+ per pop. How on earth can Microsoft get away with this sort of thing? They get the software made for about £100 and they go and charge us a ridiculous amount for a piece of software that doesn’t work anyway.

Over the years people have been fairly tolerant with Microsoft’s antics people now are only just becoming aware of just how much Bill Gate’s is ripping us all of.
Think of it this way, by the time you’ve had a dump on the toilet Gate’s has made millions.

With the recent addition to the Microsoft family perhaps Microsoft are trying to make up for their misbehaviour by bringing us a console, the worlds most powerful console to be exact.
Bill Gate’s has still received a lot of grief over this newly fangled console when maybe he doesn’t deserve it, because Microsoft have provided us with the worlds most powerful console which has the ability to thump out the most amazing graphics and provide us with engaging game play. Maybe he does deserve the grief though because after all one bad deed deserves another don’t it?

Microsoft have taken a large step and a very large risk producing this rather hefty console.
They’ve come from never having made a games console before to producing the world’s most powerful console, if you ask me that takes guts.
Microsoft can afford to take risks though but maybe not as big as a risk as the xbox, they must’ve pulled a lot of strings and used up a lot of favours in order to get this latest machine in the production lines.

The question that needs to be asked is can Microsoft compete with the other leading console manufacturers? Well no they can’t not until the bring the Xbox down to an affordable price, Microsoft’s reputation has also played a large part in the failure or success of this console as they have earned a reputation as a company which cares only about getting the most money they can about their products, which gets your nowhere as you also need a good after service in order to be successful, although Microsoft are worth billions this does not mean that they are successful.

How does the future look for Microsoft?
Well it certainly looks better because people are starting to take notice of the Xbox and it’s potentials. Maybe Microsoft (with the help of the Xbox) will end up earning a completely new reputation as the worlds most successful console developers.
*Sniggers* Yeah….Right, not while I’m around.

Good day!
Sat 08/02/03 at 23:26
"For the horde!!!!"
AliBoy wrote:
> Isn't the aim of any business to make money?
>
> Microsoft from a business side of thing have done very very well.
> You can argue about it all day but there isn't really anyone to match
> their operating system unless you run Linux or have a mac.
> Each have their own flaws as well.

well almost every PC as windows so it's pointless useing anything else

>
> They changed a lot in computing, but I wonder where most would be
> without them.

god knows

> The Xbox has done well but they paid a lot to put it together and also
> lost a lot with poor sales.

must be a long term project because they aren't even close to Sony yet and they are makeing losses

>
> The only reason I dislike them is the way they try to pass of other
> things as their own - JAVA for example.

i know they are makeing thier own version based on it :(
>
> As long as people still buy their software they will still be around,
> similar with the games market. If they make money they are not likely
> to stop. Until somebody offers something better that is.

well if someone can other better Microsoft will buy them out
Mon 03/02/03 at 23:47
Regular
"Randomly Appearing"
Smashed wrote:
> erm, £100 quid to make,i think ul be talking billions to design
> it all,
lol billions, even a juggernaught like microsoft couldnt survive if design cost that much, thousands yes, millions possiblily, billions no, you have to remember tha each windows is basically(!) just an improvement on the last

>its a massive step ,its like a new os. when microsoft get there
> standard %80 profit. then ul see the prices drop.

you do relize that profit is the ammountyou make AFTER you've covered the costs, you cant have % of profit

> and if microsoft wanted your money,why would they design everything
> better than everyone else

have you ever used a mac, unix,linux? Microsoft products arent better than any thing else, they aresuccessful by monopolising the industries andusing unfair traiding practices that other companies cannot compete with (original case: giving IE away free)

, u think the XBOX is crap, has a ps2 got a
> hard drive, a broadband port.

3 letters: HDD. The HDD will increase the PS2s memory to twice that of the Xbox's and will give the ps2 user a true home entertainment system

>so what if its big,and your pc aint any smaller.

yes but a PC can do a hell of a lot more than any consoe and is upgradable

>its better than owt else so microsoft is not lame boy, its the reason we have pc`s!

you do know that microsoft arent the people who created computers, and that other companes make them

>no decent OS,

mac,unix,linux?

>no point in making pcs. think about it, you use microsoft all the time, >pc`s, mobile calls,i bet orange will use some sort of microsoft software.

no actually quite a few busines'prefer to use macs, more reliable you see

>and any game you buy for a pc will have a microsoft element inside it.

>How thick can you get

well i think you've proved how thick a person can get considering the ammountof ignorent bs in your post
Mon 03/02/03 at 22:41
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
so microsoft is not lame boy, its the reason we have pc`s! no decent OS, no point in making pcs. think about it, you use microsoft all the time, pc`s, mobile calls,i bet orange will use some sort of microsoft software. and any game you buy for a pc will have a microsoft element inside it.

How thick can you get
Mon 03/02/03 at 22:38
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
erm, £100 quid to make,i think ul be talking billions to design it all,its a massive step ,its like a new os. when microsoft get there standard %80 profit. then ul see the prices drop.
and if microsoft wanted your money,why would they design everything better than everyone else, u think the XBOX is crap, has a ps2 got a hard drive, a broadband port. so what if its big,its better than owt else,and your pc aint any smaller.
Mon 03/02/03 at 09:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Bill Gates coded 4k BASIC, Bill Gates developed MS-DOS, Bill Gates developed Windows as a GUI on top of DOS, Bill Gates introduced the mouse as a technological breakthrough.

Basically, he took something that existed previously, made it integrate with Microsoft product, and sold it. There's better technology out there, but the companies that have it don't have Bill Gates selling it for them.

Bill Gates' vision that every business and every household should have a computer, a vision he had back in the 60's when computers were about as accessible to people then as particle accelerators are accessible to people to day, was what made him succeed.

So in terms of that, he's a geek, but a geek with vision. He got computers into every business, and his goal of a computer in every home is as good as done. Without him, we'd probably be in the situation we were in 10 years ago, just with better products.

XBox on the other hand is a wholly different proposition. It's established and working technology that has already been in the home for over a decade in the form of Sega, Nintendo and Sony. Has XBox done anything radically different? No, same technology, same performance, different marketing.

However, I can predict the following:

By the year 2010, XBox will have established itself as the console with the biggest userbase in mainland U.S.A.

U.S. and European developers that originally looked at Sony/Nintendo as their choice of platform for a new title, will now look at XBox as their choice of platform, because the U.S.A. is their biggest market.

Japanese Sony/Nintendo developers will continue to look at Japan as their biggest market, and continue to develop for them, and continue porting to the NTSC version of the XBOX, but PAL conversions to Sony/Nintendo in Europe will be rarer.

Conclusion.

If you live in Europe and don't own an XBox in the year 2010, you're going to be missing out.

Two things can prevent this:
Scrap DVD regional coding.
Convert Europe to NTSC within the next few years.
Sun 26/01/03 at 15:04
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I think the internet was developed by civillian scientists. The TCP/IP protocol is a military thing though.
Sat 25/01/03 at 12:38
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
um, the internet was actually originally invented by the military as a secure way of transferring information throughout a network of computers.
Fri 24/01/03 at 21:20
Regular
Why do you think microsoft suck....hell your probably using windows now and your certainly using one of bill gates in ventions-the internet....think about it
Thu 16/01/03 at 19:19
Regular
Microsoft is a buisness, Thats what they do, make a profit.

I'd say I hate Nintendo as a company for messing me around with various problems with my GBA, But i'm not going to as they make good games.

All companys have major flaws and did'nt nintendo price fix once?

Also Windows XP is an excellent software package, featuring many programs and utilities to make your life easier.

If Microsoft was'nt here, Well, SR forums might never of exisited.
Wed 15/01/03 at 09:03
"I hate that!!!"
Thats why microsoft get away with charging stupid prices, because they give away a bunch of crap with their software/hardware

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.