GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"London Marathon 2008!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/08/07 at 19:18
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Well, I have signed up for next years London Marathon, probably the biggest mistake of my life as I will more than likely collapse two miles in (and no, I have no running experience in my entire 22 years of living, apart from a small amount of jogging two years ago).

I have also signed up for a 10K run in September along the Thames to get me into the groove, and get a general feeling of what to expect (on a much smaller scale of course!) Luckily I will not be partaking in this event on my own, as another Freeola staffie will be joining me for both the Marathon and the 10K run events and also hopefully one other staffie for the 10K run. It should be good fun, and we have just over eight months to prepare for the Marathon itself, so are hoping to be able to complete the full 26.20 miles somewhere between 4-4 and a half hours, if all goes well. But as long as we complete it, it’s all good :)

I started training for the first time on Sunday with my colleague, where we managed to do a 10K jog/walk with no major problems (apart from some very painful leg muscles ever since, and nearly getting run over by a tractor and a combine ‘arvester!!). We also somehow managed a 5K run/walk this morning before work, which was pretty cool, working on the basis of running/jogging for 5 minutes and then walking for 1 minute and then repeating the process over and over. It’s actually worryingly enjoyable, and I’m really looking forward to the 10K run although I am expecting mucho, mucho pain afterwards, although there is drinks and a BBQ upon finishing :D

Nearer the time, I will post details on here, should anyone wish to make a donation for which ever charitable cause may wish to take me on as one of its runners.

Are there any of you guys or gals who are also thinking of competing in the next Marathon or any other random races/events? Or anyone who has some good training methods for running/jogging for long periods?
Tue 07/08/07 at 19:18
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Well, I have signed up for next years London Marathon, probably the biggest mistake of my life as I will more than likely collapse two miles in (and no, I have no running experience in my entire 22 years of living, apart from a small amount of jogging two years ago).

I have also signed up for a 10K run in September along the Thames to get me into the groove, and get a general feeling of what to expect (on a much smaller scale of course!) Luckily I will not be partaking in this event on my own, as another Freeola staffie will be joining me for both the Marathon and the 10K run events and also hopefully one other staffie for the 10K run. It should be good fun, and we have just over eight months to prepare for the Marathon itself, so are hoping to be able to complete the full 26.20 miles somewhere between 4-4 and a half hours, if all goes well. But as long as we complete it, it’s all good :)

I started training for the first time on Sunday with my colleague, where we managed to do a 10K jog/walk with no major problems (apart from some very painful leg muscles ever since, and nearly getting run over by a tractor and a combine ‘arvester!!). We also somehow managed a 5K run/walk this morning before work, which was pretty cool, working on the basis of running/jogging for 5 minutes and then walking for 1 minute and then repeating the process over and over. It’s actually worryingly enjoyable, and I’m really looking forward to the 10K run although I am expecting mucho, mucho pain afterwards, although there is drinks and a BBQ upon finishing :D

Nearer the time, I will post details on here, should anyone wish to make a donation for which ever charitable cause may wish to take me on as one of its runners.

Are there any of you guys or gals who are also thinking of competing in the next Marathon or any other random races/events? Or anyone who has some good training methods for running/jogging for long periods?
Tue 07/08/07 at 20:00
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Good luck :)

I want to run the Dallas White Rock Marathon actually. Maybe next year..
Tue 07/08/07 at 20:58
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Will you be dressing up in a Scooby Doo outfit?

I've done lots of running, I've always been in the cross country teams, although the most I've run was about 8 miles. My advice would be great yourself a PEP (personal exercise plan), stick to it, and eat healthily! (Sounds obvious, but it really does make a difference)

Do you know what chairty your running for? Or is Freoola itself a charity case :P
Tue 07/08/07 at 22:56
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Get yourself an iPod nano and the nike+ kit for the lonely training runs.
:0)

I got one a while back and its great to see the progress you are making as well as the drops in times. Add the ability to join challenges and set goals it really does make me enjoy running a lot more.

Get yourself weekly targets of how much you want to run that week and stick to them - oh and get yourself some good music to run too as well.
Also try a go at cycling or use a rowing machine (great for when you can't face going out for a run) and do some weight work in the gym (low weights with many reps) to build up the endurance of the main muscle groupls you'll use when running the long distances.
Wed 08/08/07 at 11:43
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Cheers for the info guys, will keep that in mind!

I'm Trying to get an application to run for Barnardo's team, it's a good cause, and they give you a massage after the race :D
Wed 08/08/07 at 15:44
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
LOL - how on earth could you 'nearly get run over by a tractor and a combine ‘arvester!!'? They make one heck of a racket where I come from. Too busy trying to breath?

I don't run anywhere, ever, but wish you luck.

I'll sponsor you though (I'm sure I'll be lurking around somewhere) for whatever cause you decide to you for. Just keep us informed...
Wed 08/08/07 at 17:08
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Yeah, you pretty much got it in one there, trying to breathe and concentrating on not falling over kinda blocks out most external noises :p We heard it go past and also for about the next 2 miles down the road though lol.

Will you sponsor me if it goes directly into my private funds for a full body transfer when I collapse and have no body left after the Marathon? :D AKA getting drunk afterwards! :p
Wed 08/08/07 at 18:37
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I'll sign up too and then you can push me round the course - double the sponsor money!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.