GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IDEA:Police action"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/01/02 at 15:28
Regular
Ok, I put a brief idea for a game in a topic I recently posted. For those who don't want the game in a lot more details here is a short version of the idea.

You begin as a rookie cop driving around the city responding to calls through the radio, then depending on how well you do you can become promoted to various positions in the police force or even on to the FBI or C.I.A. As you move higher up the ranks you are involved in more adventurous cases that could take a while to solve. So you could go from things like catching small time crooks and family disturbances to fighting drug lords and their small armies to tracking down mass murderers. The game would be a mixture of driving, First person shooter and action adventure. Probably a bit similar to GTA3 but more advanced to allow you into all the buildings and be able to go about an everyday life that constantly changes to match what has happend in the game.

So I thought why not think it through in more detail now that I have the time (no exams) and it could be quite fun. Be warned it may be pants but that is ok, I don't do this for a living. There are a lot of gaps in the story and you have to imagine what it is like, I don't want to go into every required detail as if it is good then someone might pinch it. Ok see here is the in depth look at this game. First off todays technology probably wouldn't allow this game the way that I see it but maybe in a few years this kind of thing will be in most average games.

TITLE - ??????????????????

I found it hard to pick a title for this game, what exactly is it? I am not sure what I should be called as a name has to be well thought, something people will like and if it makes it big then it is a name that will be remembered for the right reasons.

Beware, I am pants at making up ideas so these could be very poor but here is a few choices of what the name could be :
"The Law enforcer"
"Revenge"
"Good Cop Bad Cop"
"Good cop Better cop"

CHARACTERS

Chris Jenkins- Playable character, starts as a rookie cop with a disturbing past.
Police chief and officers
Sam Cartright -Your partner early on.
Doug Benedict - Raised CJ from a young age, former CIA agent with contacts
Joe Thompson - High chief at the FBI
FBI and CIA agents
Highly ranked members of the FBI
Also the everyday public who lead normal everyday lives and some break the law.

STORY BEHIND THE GAME

Your name is Chris Jenkins, your father is a former police officer who later joined the FBI, he found out top secret information one day while checking through files. The only way the FBI could be sure that this didn't leak was to get rid of him and his family. Your mother is a quiet lady who does not work. Sadly they are killed due to your fathers findings and you turn to the only person you can trust. Your fathers old partner and friend Doug.

The game begins with a movie sequence showing your character Chris Jenkins at the age of 10 in his treehouse, you watch as three FBI agents (Joe Thompson and two goons) enter your house and kill both your parents. You wait until they leave and then make your way over to Doug Benidicts house which is a few blocks away.You tell him what you have seen but he makes you promise to keep hush about it as these aren't the people to go against. Doug raises you as his own until you are old enough to join the force.

It is here you begin, your first day on the job you meet your new partner Sam, a middle aged man who has good experience and knows how things work in the town. He takes you under his wing and looks out for you and offers good advice on how to tackle problems early on.

As the game progresses various events can be triggered depending on your actions, Doug is killed in a horrible accident which you must investigate to find the hidden truth, Sam is taken hostage by an armed mob and you must fight to save him. It is a game where you can only trust a select few and uncover the truth about various events that have happened within your life.

The game would be similar in a way to GTA3, a fully explorable environment which is fully interactive, you can enter buildings, use vehicles in a way just live a normal life. The graphics would be great too. It would be a third person view but you can also switch into a First person view for driving and also for using weapons. The AI of the game would be of a high standard. You could converse with people going about their lives and try find clues and information from them.

AIM OF GAME

The aim of the game is to work through solving missions such as catching thiefs, chasing armed robbers, stopping drug trafficing, catching mass murderers, uncovering hidden secrets and to ensure people obey the law etc. As you do better the choice of promotion to other areas of law enforcement open up, from Special guards, sniper unit, FBI and the CIA. You have to try and get to a high rank in either the FBI or CIA to try find the truth behind your parents murder and also to seek revenge for their murder.
You begin as a rookie cop and through the radio you and your partner respond to various calls or can look through the city for law breakers such as car thiefs, dangerous drivers etc. You are rewarded points for how well you repond and deal with various tasks. When you earn enough points you are then given a choice as to which form of promotion you wish to take. Each of the main missions which you must do form part of the on going story. Once you reach the top and find out the truth it is then up for you to take the law into your own hands and seek revenge for the truth you now know. A few twists and turns in the story make the game that little more realistic and exciting.

EXTRAS

The game would come on two disks to not only include the whole story with all the options but to also include a decent multiplayer option in which the storyline is scrapped and two players battle it out in a traditional shoot out way. You run about the small section of the city using vehicles even entering buildings trying to hunt your oponent out and make the kill. A selection of characters from the game would be selectable - each with their own special skills in various weapons etc

Well that is as much as you are getting just now. Hopefully some will read and post their opinions on where it is good bad and post ways it could be improved. Suggestions please.
Tue 22/10/02 at 03:48
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
It'd be cool if you could call ahead in a police chase to block off certain roads and deploy cops armed with stingers to slow the perpetrators down before your inevitable arrest.
Or at the scene of a hostage situation the armed response unit is called in and you could suit up as one of them to take out the armed robbers.

Other scenarios could include stuff like chopper duty where you are assigned the duty of camera operator on a helicopter equiped with heat vision cameras for night tracking. The subject car at night having much higher heat readings as the tyres and engines would be hotter and the eventually tracking the suspects as they try to escape on foot.

thats all I can think of right now.
Fri 18/10/02 at 17:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
nearly forgot about this.

Need more views, up to date ideas from new people.
Wed 29/05/02 at 14:34
Sounds like an excellent game, but perhaps a bit much for todays computers. Personally i'm not a big fan of the police, perhaps this game would make me see them in a new light. I can't imagine myself stopping people speeding, using phones while driving or J-walkers.
If they are jobs of your policeman, they may sound simple, but think of the power needed. You will need good enough graphics to see the phone in the occupants hand.
Policing is a issue that effects everyone, so the game needs to be tactful in its approach.
Give it five years and perhaps computers could handle this excellent idea.
Tue 21/05/02 at 19:11
Regular
Though I only skimmed through it, it sounded like a great idea. Proper puzzle solving and clue finding games are underated, and it would be good seeing things like Broken Sword making more of an appearance. This detective/shooter sounds like what we really need in the gaming world. I suggest you send this off to a company or buy a games construction program such as Dark Basic if you really want to follow this up.
Sun 12/05/02 at 13:46
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Oh my god! There have been no replies for a month!
Mon 15/04/02 at 07:27
Regular
"Brrrrr."
You should post this off to a game making company. You could get a lot of money for this idea. Imagine being in the credits of the best game ever. Your game could also use bullet time. Bravo!
Sun 14/04/02 at 21:34
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I am POPing this to try get more feedback from the newcomers to the side. Please read through it and give any suggestions as to how to make the idea better.
Wed 06/02/02 at 22:09
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
This is the story based on the game idea. It dosn't stick to the same story of the game but hopefully those who liked the idea will also like this. I decided the game will be called "For Truth and Revenge"

It was a cold dark morning, a dark figure stood by the bus shelter waiting for the rain to ease, suddenly a tall man apeared from the shadows and removed a gun from his pocket and began to demand money from the figure, after he had took money he struck the figure with the handle of his gun and began to run towards the bridge.
Chris Jenkins was sitting in his patrol car, it was his first day and this was just the begining. Along with his partner Sam he headed of in pursuit, Chris sneaked slowly behind the man while Sam attended the victim, The man was busy counting money and was taken totally by surprise. "You are under arrest" Chris said as he slammed the man against the wall, he cuffed him and then threw him to the ground.
They arrived back at the station and went through all the pointless paperwork that lets them lock the man up and wait for a trial date. Chris sat back down and stared at the photo, the only item in his locker. It was a picture of a man and a woman and a young boy. He began to dream, back to that night, back to when Chris was seven and the night that started all this off.

It was a warm summer night, Chris and his father had just put the finishing touches on a tree house and while Chris played his father went inside to help his mother prepare the meal.As he sat playing he noticed three men in suits walk up the drive and enter the house, from where he sat he could see clearly into the kitchen. He watched in horror as one of the men opened fire and emptied a full clip into both of his parents.
He lay there in the tree house mortified by what he had witnessed, it took him a few hours to finally pluck up the courage to climb down the ladder and run down the street. He arrived at a large house, the house belonged to Doug Benedict. Doug was his fathers old partner and a very close family friend who had recently retired from the C.I.A. Chris told Doug the story and going on Dougs advice Chris promises to keep quiet as these aren't the people to cross, they are powerful and can make your life very very difficult.

Life after this was hard for Chris, Doug became very ill and passed away. His last words to Chris were "I always treated you as a son but follow your dream and take revenge. Give them one from me......."
With these words Chris knew the only way to get revenge was to find out the truth, he joined the force at the earliest chance and this is where we join him.

"Jenkins, time to get back on the streets." Sam shouted. Chris picked up his gun and gently placed it in his holster. They hit the streets in the car looking for more law breakers.

Things continued along these lines for a few years then one day Chris and Sam were responding to an anrmed robery, Sam got caught in the cross fire and was killed instantly, after this incident the Police Chief suggested to Chris to go for promotion and branch out into another area of the force.
Chris put in various applications and was accepted for them all so he now faced the decision, the decision he had waited some time for, to finally be that one step closer to getting his revenge.

He finally decided on choosing to join the FBI as a field agent and attempt to work his way up the ladder, it took him four years to gain promotion high enough up to find out top secret information required in his fight for the truth and revenge. As he searched through the records looking for something, anything about his family he began to find out things he had never bargained on finding.
Doug Benedict had a file in the box, It was a large folder filled with pictures and information about his past from a young age. The last article was the one which caught his eye, it was a memo from a Mr Joe Thompson it read.

Tomorrow will be the day, You and another agent Mr Stevens will enter the house and proceed with the injection as planned.

It was dated the day before his death, Why Doug? he thought he couldn't piece it all together, first his parents then Doug, what was going on? As he searched deeper into the box more records and files caught his attention. It appears Doug and his father were onto something big at one point in their careers, something to do with Joe Thompson and the death of White house official. It appears this is why his father and mother were killed and also why Doug was killed, they knew too much and paid the ultimate price,life.

Chris needed more, more proof as to who or what was behind it all, why the white house official and why things were becoming so strange. He needed to get into Thompsons office and find out the truth, he hit the fire alarm and hid down low, he waited a while and then made his way up the west stairs and into Thompsons office. He searched high and low but couldn't find anything that even ressembled what he was looking for, it was then that he noticed a small safe key in the back of the desk, it was for the safe in the evidence room he pressumed and he was right, he took the contents and made his way out the rear entrance of the building and went home.

At home he found out the truth. Mr Thompson was planning to run for President in an election but had a past which could haunt him, he made the CIA delete his past and give him a new identity, he was born Steven, Steven Jenkins. It was his uncle, he killed his own brother and nobody knew, nobody except Doug. One of the White house officials caught Doug looking through confidential files and accepted a bribe to keep hush, but he didn't keep silent and he had to be taken out of the equation as his proof to what happened cost Thompson his chance to become the President. It appears his father was giving out the truth to CIA officials as to what exactly happened, this is why he was killed.

Sweat poured down his face, Chris couldn't take much more of the pain, the pain which had cost him his family and closest friend. He needed revenge, He picked up the folder and his Beretta and slotted it into his holster and made his way to his car. He arrived at the building and made his way to Thompsons office, he threw the door open and tossed the folder onto the table just as Thompson went to pick it up Chris aimed at his head and discharged three bullets killing him instantly. Chris put his badge on the table and left with a calm look apon his face.
It was over for now, he had taken revenge and no longer had to live with the fear of not knowing what had happened and for what reasons. He started the engine of his car and sped of down the road. This chapter in his life was over but the book isn't closed, it is far from the end.
Thu 31/01/02 at 18:46
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> I think it should also lean towards detective work too. You know, you go into
> various buildings, find information in files, speak to people to get information
> out of them.

You could move on to this stage after being a Rookie, and
> 'walking the beat' for a bit. Having words with jay-walkers in your early days,
> right up to uncovering corruption within the FBI in your senior
> days.

----------

Nice idea, I find it hard to express my vision for the game in words so some probably don't see the potential in this idea that I see. Needs a lot of work before it could be worthy of being a game.
Thu 31/01/02 at 12:30
Regular
"not dead"
I think it should also lean towards detective work too. You know, you go into various buildings, find information in files, speak to people to get information out of them.

You could move on to this stage after being a Rookie, and 'walking the beat' for a bit. Having words with jay-walkers in your early days, right up to uncovering corruption within the FBI in your senior days.

----------

On the subject of police games, maybe they should be less serious. Police Academy, for instance.

Yep, take those characters from the movie, make them all playable with different skills.

Mahoney (Steve Guttenburg) would be the main character, and a general all-rounder.

You'd have Jones who could do sound effects, for some reason.

Hightower would be really strong.

Tacklebury would be a weapons expert.

You could control any of these characters at any one time, and complete varios missions to rise through the ranks, and make sure that you get that promotion before Mouser.

And keep out of the Blue Oyster Bar.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.