GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Daytona USA"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Daytona USA'.
Mon 16/01/12 at 17:00
Regular
"And in last place.."
Gentlemen start your engines. I’ve been waiting a long time to play a proper version of Daytona USA. In my review of Sega Rally Online Arcade I demanded Sega release this onto Xbox Live and PSN. It seems they were listening and it was worth the wait.

Some games are best left in the rose tinted memories but Daytona USA is an arcade racer which has stood the test of time. The game can still be found in arcades today and people are still playing it. It plays as well today as it did when it was first released in 1993 and looks better than ever in HD widescreen.

Sega has released Daytona USA to the home market before before but now we have a proper and perfect conversion of the arcade classic. The only thing missing when playing this at home is the arcade cabinet.

This is traditional arcade racing at its best, 3 laps, a car and a time limit. Daytona is a fast paced game lacking any sort of realism but excelling in fun. The 39 opponents you are up against make for a very busy race. Those that have grown up on Gran Turismo are going to find it an uncomfortably claustrophobic race track. This is full contact racing with power slides and a classic colourful Sega colour scheme. The little touches will bring a nostalgic smile to those that have enjoyed the game in the past... the car bobbing up and down as it hurtles along, the fruit machine wheels spinning before the tight corner with a picture of Sonic carved into the mountain. It’s all there, all in HD and widescreen.

The arcade mode offers the original 3 courses to race on. Being a bit tight with my money, I rarely experienced anything other than the Beginner course. The Beginner course has one tough corner that requires your attention, the intermediate and expert courses bump up the difficulty accordingly. Finishing the race becomes a challenge let alone finishing in first place. But at least you don’t have to dive into your pocket for another £1 coin.

The arcade mode alone would be 800 points well spent but Sega has added some extra modes for your enjoyment. The Challenge mode presents a series of 10 challenges on each track. This can range from hitting a certain speed within a time limit to using the rocket start. It serves as a tutorial for you to perfect your driving and will even see you making use of manual gears, something I’d never do on the arcade machine.

The original 3 tracks are also available in mirror mode which doubles the tracks available in Arcade Mode. The customary Time Attack mode is available but I’ve never felt Daytona was a game where a Time Trial mode belonged. Getting to the end of the race within the time limit is enough of a trial, especially on Expert.

The highlight of the extra modes is Survival. In this mode you have a ridiculous number of laps to complete. At first it seems like an extended Arcade mode but then you’ll quickly see you have a score and certain moves add time onto the timer. A little spanner in the works is tyre wear but the pit crew will let you know when you need new tyres... provided you can hear them in your panic to reach the checkpoint. It is a tough mode but very addictive. The score aspect adds an extra dimension, aiming to beat your high score is a good secondary goal to aim for, especially if you are far off completing the required number of laps that I am.

The most interesting of inclusions is the karaoke mode. This allows you to race whilst the lyrics from the soundtrack appear on screen just like a proper karaoke. It baffles me but I’m sure there are some who love it.

An Online mode allows for some 8 player racing. Games like Daytona are suited for online racing, too many people are interested in ramming opponents so games like this are perfect for online racing.

A spot-on conversion or Daytona USA has been a long time coming but it is without a doubt, worth the wait. I always felt Sega produced the best arcade racers out there, this only proves it.

Tue 17/01/12 at 17:58
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
;) DAY TONERRRRRRR ;)
Tue 17/01/12 at 09:07
Regular
"And in last place.."
HighflyerVII wrote:
Good review dav, but a little nitpick...isn't it "Daytona" not "Daytonna"?

Well done, you have passed the test! All updated now.
Mon 16/01/12 at 17:16
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Good review dav, but a little nitpick...isn't it "Daytona" not "Daytonna"?
Mon 16/01/12 at 17:00
Regular
"And in last place.."
Gentlemen start your engines. I’ve been waiting a long time to play a proper version of Daytona USA. In my review of Sega Rally Online Arcade I demanded Sega release this onto Xbox Live and PSN. It seems they were listening and it was worth the wait.

Some games are best left in the rose tinted memories but Daytona USA is an arcade racer which has stood the test of time. The game can still be found in arcades today and people are still playing it. It plays as well today as it did when it was first released in 1993 and looks better than ever in HD widescreen.

Sega has released Daytona USA to the home market before before but now we have a proper and perfect conversion of the arcade classic. The only thing missing when playing this at home is the arcade cabinet.

This is traditional arcade racing at its best, 3 laps, a car and a time limit. Daytona is a fast paced game lacking any sort of realism but excelling in fun. The 39 opponents you are up against make for a very busy race. Those that have grown up on Gran Turismo are going to find it an uncomfortably claustrophobic race track. This is full contact racing with power slides and a classic colourful Sega colour scheme. The little touches will bring a nostalgic smile to those that have enjoyed the game in the past... the car bobbing up and down as it hurtles along, the fruit machine wheels spinning before the tight corner with a picture of Sonic carved into the mountain. It’s all there, all in HD and widescreen.

The arcade mode offers the original 3 courses to race on. Being a bit tight with my money, I rarely experienced anything other than the Beginner course. The Beginner course has one tough corner that requires your attention, the intermediate and expert courses bump up the difficulty accordingly. Finishing the race becomes a challenge let alone finishing in first place. But at least you don’t have to dive into your pocket for another £1 coin.

The arcade mode alone would be 800 points well spent but Sega has added some extra modes for your enjoyment. The Challenge mode presents a series of 10 challenges on each track. This can range from hitting a certain speed within a time limit to using the rocket start. It serves as a tutorial for you to perfect your driving and will even see you making use of manual gears, something I’d never do on the arcade machine.

The original 3 tracks are also available in mirror mode which doubles the tracks available in Arcade Mode. The customary Time Attack mode is available but I’ve never felt Daytona was a game where a Time Trial mode belonged. Getting to the end of the race within the time limit is enough of a trial, especially on Expert.

The highlight of the extra modes is Survival. In this mode you have a ridiculous number of laps to complete. At first it seems like an extended Arcade mode but then you’ll quickly see you have a score and certain moves add time onto the timer. A little spanner in the works is tyre wear but the pit crew will let you know when you need new tyres... provided you can hear them in your panic to reach the checkpoint. It is a tough mode but very addictive. The score aspect adds an extra dimension, aiming to beat your high score is a good secondary goal to aim for, especially if you are far off completing the required number of laps that I am.

The most interesting of inclusions is the karaoke mode. This allows you to race whilst the lyrics from the soundtrack appear on screen just like a proper karaoke. It baffles me but I’m sure there are some who love it.

An Online mode allows for some 8 player racing. Games like Daytona are suited for online racing, too many people are interested in ramming opponents so games like this are perfect for online racing.

A spot-on conversion or Daytona USA has been a long time coming but it is without a doubt, worth the wait. I always felt Sega produced the best arcade racers out there, this only proves it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.