GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enemy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/01/02 at 21:49
Regular
Imagine being ruthlessly hunted down by a gun wielding psychotic, wandering around a beautiful environment only to get stomped on, or speeding to victory in a race, only to be hit brutally by a projectile from behind. Wouldn’t you be the slightest bit angry (possibly dead) if these events happened to you? You’d think so wouldn’t you? But strangely events like these have been happening all over the world for years.

You may be growing angry at being reminded of how often you lose or get annihilated when playing a video game. But I’m not talking about you, the player. No, you have it easy. You are supposed to be able to win. I am talking of your opponents. Your only purpose in life is to be killed, beaten up or shot down for a player’s amusement. Wouldn’t that anger you? The ‘bad guys’ have been taking this kind of punishment since the dawn of time, but do you ever stop and wonder what they have done to you? Sure, they may be attacking you, but maybe they had a harsh upbringing, or maybe you did something to them first. You must think that the monsters in Doom, or Quake must be evil, but think about the situation. A ship of hostile marines crashes on the planet, and tries to kill all life on it, so the monsters understandably resist. Then the lone survivor starts killing loads, surely you don’t expect the monsters to just let the marine go and tell the rest of his friends that a planet needs wiping out? And what about Mario? Is Bowser really the evil one? Is Princess Peach really just a tyrannical dictator, ruthlessly ruling over the mushroom kingdom? Is Bowser a revolutionary, who wishes to bring justice and equality to the downtrodden people of the Mushroom kingdom? Did you ever stop before shooting a guard to wonder what he had done with his life? Was he just a simple guard, or did he have a wife, children maybe?

And even though the player’s opponents may greatly outnumber the player, they always have those weaknesses, even the hardest among them have some weakness that you always exploit. These are the downtrodden masses of gaming, and if we don’t learn to live in equilibrium with them, mark my words they will come back to haunt us.

So next time you are about to ram an opponent off the road, send a bullet through their heart, or KO them with a blinding combo, stop. Pause for a second, and spare a thought for the enemy.
Sat 26/01/02 at 23:06
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Cinnamon wrote:
> *Cinnamon armed with a big gun pauses for a second and spares a thought for the
> enemy.... then shakes her head and continues blowing their heads off*

No
> seriously, I have often spared a thought for the enemy as my sniper sights zoom
> in on their oblivious skulls, and as my finger slowly squeezes the trigger, I
> have often thought: "Is this guy married? Does he have children? I wonder
> which football team he supports?" - But it doesn't change anything - I
> still blow his head into a thousand pieces. It's either them or us don't you
> know.

I honestly hope you havent, they arent real people you know. ;)
Sat 26/01/02 at 22:02
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Cinnamon wrote:
No
> seriously, I have often spared a thought for the enemy as my sniper sights zoom
> in on their oblivious skulls, and as my finger slowly squeezes the trigger, I
> have often thought: "Is this guy married? Does he have children? I wonder
> which football team he supports?" - But it doesn't change anything - I
> still blow his head into a thousand pieces. It's either them or us don't you
> know.

Having an Austin Powers moment? :)
Sat 26/01/02 at 21:42
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Sibs wrote:
> have you ever tried walking up to the enemy, and talking to them? I thought
> not...

:-)

Yes...
Sat 26/01/02 at 21:40
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
have you ever tried walking up to the enemy, and talking to them? I thought not...

:-)
Fri 25/01/02 at 21:44
Regular
*Cinnamon armed with a big gun pauses for a second and spares a thought for the enemy.... then shakes her head and continues blowing their heads off*

No seriously, I have often spared a thought for the enemy as my sniper sights zoom in on their oblivious skulls, and as my finger slowly squeezes the trigger, I have often thought: "Is this guy married? Does he have children? I wonder which football team he supports?" - But it doesn't change anything - I still blow his head into a thousand pieces. It's either them or us don't you know.
Fri 25/01/02 at 17:01
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Exactly.

Or maybe you could visit a beaten up opponent in hospital, after the match. Bring em some grapes or something. Maybe even a 'get well soon' card.
Thu 24/01/02 at 21:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Yes... why not have a beat em up where you and the oponent work together to get you to the next level???

Sonic ;)
Thu 24/01/02 at 21:49
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Imagine being ruthlessly hunted down by a gun wielding psychotic, wandering around a beautiful environment only to get stomped on, or speeding to victory in a race, only to be hit brutally by a projectile from behind. Wouldn’t you be the slightest bit angry (possibly dead) if these events happened to you? You’d think so wouldn’t you? But strangely events like these have been happening all over the world for years.

You may be growing angry at being reminded of how often you lose or get annihilated when playing a video game. But I’m not talking about you, the player. No, you have it easy. You are supposed to be able to win. I am talking of your opponents. Your only purpose in life is to be killed, beaten up or shot down for a player’s amusement. Wouldn’t that anger you? The ‘bad guys’ have been taking this kind of punishment since the dawn of time, but do you ever stop and wonder what they have done to you? Sure, they may be attacking you, but maybe they had a harsh upbringing, or maybe you did something to them first. You must think that the monsters in Doom, or Quake must be evil, but think about the situation. A ship of hostile marines crashes on the planet, and tries to kill all life on it, so the monsters understandably resist. Then the lone survivor starts killing loads, surely you don’t expect the monsters to just let the marine go and tell the rest of his friends that a planet needs wiping out? And what about Mario? Is Bowser really the evil one? Is Princess Peach really just a tyrannical dictator, ruthlessly ruling over the mushroom kingdom? Is Bowser a revolutionary, who wishes to bring justice and equality to the downtrodden people of the Mushroom kingdom? Did you ever stop before shooting a guard to wonder what he had done with his life? Was he just a simple guard, or did he have a wife, children maybe?

And even though the player’s opponents may greatly outnumber the player, they always have those weaknesses, even the hardest among them have some weakness that you always exploit. These are the downtrodden masses of gaming, and if we don’t learn to live in equilibrium with them, mark my words they will come back to haunt us.

So next time you are about to ram an opponent off the road, send a bullet through their heart, or KO them with a blinding combo, stop. Pause for a second, and spare a thought for the enemy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.