GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why is gamecube last to get multi format games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/01/03 at 23:42
Regular
Ive rearlised that gamecube is last to get all the multi format games blood omen 2 came out 4 xbox and ps2 in the summer and still yet to be released for cube.Its with other games aswell.But i prefer exclusives gamecube has loads o exclusives.This past year the ps2 is all multi format its got about 3 exclusives and thats it and vice citys comming out on pc so its not an exclusive.xbox graphics good,gamecube graphics(realistic water).The ps2 cant even handle water graphics it looks crap on vice city+other games who agrees?.
Sun 19/01/03 at 15:50
Regular
The whole multiformat situation is a joke really. Conversions rarely sell that well but as the code is c based its easy to port. Take Burnout 2 for example. By the time that hits the gamecube the ps2 version will probably be at budget price. Lets say Burnout 2 sells on ps2 200,000 copies in the uk I expect the conversions will sell lets say 30,000 each. However the conversion process because of being 'c' based is quite easily and as the conversion consoles are more powerful than the original its only a matter of weeks to convert. They won't bother to optimise for either xbox or gamecube however some improvements are forced apon by the superior hardware like improved resolution and quicker loading.

We get them last because the gamecube or xbox for that matter are not important formats, they are not optimised and to the publishers they represent extra earnings for limited effort.

Publishers are stupid. The gamecube is the only console which is pirate proof, its easy to develop, very reliable and very powerful although not quite as powerful as xbox. If they had sense they would ensure the success of the console as its in their interests to do so. However the reality is they are supporting the mediocre hardware that is ps2 and therefore gaming technology wise is being held back. They should produce superior gamecube versions and release them alongside the ps2 version.
Sat 18/01/03 at 21:50
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Tphi wrote:
> blah blah blah wrong.
> Sally Friend says it is because there is only a limited number of GC
> discs, thats why.

Huh?
Sat 18/01/03 at 18:19
Regular
Limited Number? What the hell?
Sat 18/01/03 at 13:41
Regular
"thursdayton!"
GnomeKiller wrote:
> The reason the GC gets multi-format games last is because Sony and
> Microsoft get deals with the publishers for their games to appear on
> the PS2 and X-Box first.
>
> There's one fairly simple reason for this. For those who have two or
> more next-gen consoles they have a choice. They can either get the
> game when it comes out for the PS2 or X-Box, or wait another couple of
> months for it to come out on the GC. I'm sure they would sacrifice an
> extra option or two to get it when it first comes out. Therefore Sony
> will generally get all the sales from this game from multi-format
> gamers.
>
> But, to be fair there are a selection of games that have come out
> first on the GC, Die Hard Vendetta being one.

blah blah blah wrong.
Sally Friend says it is because there is only a limited number of GC discs, thats why.
Sat 18/01/03 at 12:58
Regular
"Link to the Future"
The reason the GC gets multi-format games last is because Sony and Microsoft get deals with the publishers for their games to appear on the PS2 and X-Box first.

There's one fairly simple reason for this. For those who have two or more next-gen consoles they have a choice. They can either get the game when it comes out for the PS2 or X-Box, or wait another couple of months for it to come out on the GC. I'm sure they would sacrifice an extra option or two to get it when it first comes out. Therefore Sony will generally get all the sales from this game from multi-format gamers.

But, to be fair there are a selection of games that have come out first on the GC, Die Hard Vendetta being one.
Sat 18/01/03 at 11:43
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
Gamecube gets multiformat games last because it takes longer for the games companys to convert onto the smaller discs, simple.

Allthough, i'm sure there's more to it.....
Sat 18/01/03 at 11:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
PS2 always seems to have a very bland line up.

*must stop using that word!!*

:)
Sat 18/01/03 at 01:06
Regular
The reason the GameCube has been the last to get multi-format games is open to debate really. Fortunately, they usually appear on all consoles at, more or less the same time. However, with some games (Hitman 2, Conflict: Desert Storm, etc), it's because the developers don't want it to be just a direct port, but work as well with the GameCube as it did with the original system it was designed for. In some cases, the extra time is to improve the GC version over the other two consoles in terms of graphics, speed or extras (think Timesplitters 2).

As for the PS2 exclusives, I'm forced to agree. 2002 was fairly good, with GTA3 and Vice City recieving much critical acclaim - but then they're both out on PC. Stuntman was hyped, but amazingly frustrating and The Getaway got everyone's hopes up for just about nothing. There were some gems, however. As for 2003, Sony really need to secure more exclusives not available on PC to maintain their great sales. At the moment though, it looks like Nintendo have by far the strongest line up.

Oh, and if you want to see what the PS2 can do in terms of water effects - just check out the visually stunning Ico.
Fri 17/01/03 at 23:42
Ive rearlised that gamecube is last to get all the multi format games blood omen 2 came out 4 xbox and ps2 in the summer and still yet to be released for cube.Its with other games aswell.But i prefer exclusives gamecube has loads o exclusives.This past year the ps2 is all multi format its got about 3 exclusives and thats it and vice citys comming out on pc so its not an exclusive.xbox graphics good,gamecube graphics(realistic water).The ps2 cant even handle water graphics it looks crap on vice city+other games who agrees?.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.