GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Add-ons"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/01/03 at 14:33
Regular
I was just thinking to myself that its all well and good having a games console but it would be far cooler to have extra things. What i'm getting at here is to make your console into an all round entertainment system. Ok the PS2 can play DVD's and CD's and you can get a portable screen for it, and soon you may have the chance of playing online. Now you may think i'm being greedy but i want it to do more!

Printer

One thing i was thinking of was if you could hook a printer up to your PS2. Now i know that you can do this if you use your PS2 with a monitor (well i think you can) but not many people do this; the majority of us just use a TV. The cool thing with a printer being connected to the PS2 would be that you could print off perfect screen shots, scores and general hilarious things you find within the games you play. Being able to print things off would then allow you to scan them into your computer and put perfect screen shots onto the net. Not all of this darken the room, tilt the camera, turn down the resolution, take twenty shots with a digital camera malarky. A printer would also open up avenues like pausing a dvd and printing off shots of dvds. This would be very cool indeed but could be opposed because of copywriting and abuse of it ie. printing of erotic pictures when you under age rascals pause your dvd's when two people are holding hands.

MP3 player

With the introduction of a hrad drive the PS2 will probably be able to play saved music files in games. I'm thinking down the line of linking up a MD player of MP3 player so that you can play music within your games. Exchanging the "not so good" soundtracks of games for your own ultimate soundtrack. I know you could just put on a CD in the room your playing your PS2 in but too me it distracts me too much, and confuses my brain when two things are giving out sounds. Connecting an output audio device to a PS2 would also be cool if you didnt have a stereo, as you would be able to play MD players and MP3 players through speakers instead of just headphones. Leading on from this it would also be cool if the PS2 had a MD slot for you to play MD's through. This would move the console forward in the fact that its becoming a stereo system as well. This would mean you wouldnt need to have a stereo and a games console. Who knows people may become inventive and put some decks on top of the PS2 to 'scratch' away at their favourite games tunes.

Word Processor

Some people may want a console but feel the need they must have a computer so they can write letters and surf the net and things. Well with the introduction of the net connection with the PS2 maybe we will see a keyboard being released and other packages on PS2 discs like Word Processor and Spreadsheet. This would turn your console into a PC. It would also be good as you could write e-mails on your PS2 and send them over the net. Would be cool as well if a Web Page viewer was included so you could surf the net on your PS2 from the comfort of your room (unless your PC is in your room).

All of these extra ideas would cost money to produce and would mean more money spent by mums and dads wanting their kids to have the most up to date technology. These are just some of the ideas that i think would be cool, and could be included, but wont be!

Odin
Sat 18/01/03 at 14:33
Regular
I was just thinking to myself that its all well and good having a games console but it would be far cooler to have extra things. What i'm getting at here is to make your console into an all round entertainment system. Ok the PS2 can play DVD's and CD's and you can get a portable screen for it, and soon you may have the chance of playing online. Now you may think i'm being greedy but i want it to do more!

Printer

One thing i was thinking of was if you could hook a printer up to your PS2. Now i know that you can do this if you use your PS2 with a monitor (well i think you can) but not many people do this; the majority of us just use a TV. The cool thing with a printer being connected to the PS2 would be that you could print off perfect screen shots, scores and general hilarious things you find within the games you play. Being able to print things off would then allow you to scan them into your computer and put perfect screen shots onto the net. Not all of this darken the room, tilt the camera, turn down the resolution, take twenty shots with a digital camera malarky. A printer would also open up avenues like pausing a dvd and printing off shots of dvds. This would be very cool indeed but could be opposed because of copywriting and abuse of it ie. printing of erotic pictures when you under age rascals pause your dvd's when two people are holding hands.

MP3 player

With the introduction of a hrad drive the PS2 will probably be able to play saved music files in games. I'm thinking down the line of linking up a MD player of MP3 player so that you can play music within your games. Exchanging the "not so good" soundtracks of games for your own ultimate soundtrack. I know you could just put on a CD in the room your playing your PS2 in but too me it distracts me too much, and confuses my brain when two things are giving out sounds. Connecting an output audio device to a PS2 would also be cool if you didnt have a stereo, as you would be able to play MD players and MP3 players through speakers instead of just headphones. Leading on from this it would also be cool if the PS2 had a MD slot for you to play MD's through. This would move the console forward in the fact that its becoming a stereo system as well. This would mean you wouldnt need to have a stereo and a games console. Who knows people may become inventive and put some decks on top of the PS2 to 'scratch' away at their favourite games tunes.

Word Processor

Some people may want a console but feel the need they must have a computer so they can write letters and surf the net and things. Well with the introduction of the net connection with the PS2 maybe we will see a keyboard being released and other packages on PS2 discs like Word Processor and Spreadsheet. This would turn your console into a PC. It would also be good as you could write e-mails on your PS2 and send them over the net. Would be cool as well if a Web Page viewer was included so you could surf the net on your PS2 from the comfort of your room (unless your PC is in your room).

All of these extra ideas would cost money to produce and would mean more money spent by mums and dads wanting their kids to have the most up to date technology. These are just some of the ideas that i think would be cool, and could be included, but wont be!

Odin
Sat 18/01/03 at 14:40
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Interesting, but I already have a PC, I don't need 2.
Sat 18/01/03 at 16:36
"period drama"
Ditto.
The whole point of consoles is not to be PCs - which is just what you're suggesting.
And, anyway, these things wouldn't sell - I'd much rather spend my money on a few new games than an over-priced printer which only works on about 5% of games and has only novelty value.

That's another thing, console gaming is supposed to be a lot cheaper than PC gaming - even people who aren't rolling in it can usually buy a console and a few games. Surely these things would be at least half as expensive as the consoles themsleves. £75 might not seem much if you've just spent a few grand on a new PC, but when you've thrown your life's savings at a PS2, you really can't afford it. And, above all, you really don't want to.

Console = games playing machines
PCs = PCs.
Sat 18/01/03 at 17:59
Regular
Yeah i see what your saying. I was only suggesting things thta would be "cool", not saying they are going to be made and everyone must buy them. Next time i wont bother throwing some suggestions out.
Sat 18/01/03 at 18:02
Regular
"Max Power"
Odin wrote:
> Yeah i see what your saying. I was only suggesting things thta would
> be "cool", not saying they are going to be made and everyone
> must buy them. Next time i wont bother throwing some suggestions out.

it wouldnt be cool changing the ps2 into a pc that would be boring!!
Sat 18/01/03 at 18:04
Regular
†HÊ_MÅÐMÃÑ wrote:
> Odin wrote:
> Yeah i see what your saying. I was only suggesting things thta
> would
> be "cool", not saying they are going to be made and
> everyone
> must buy them. Next time i wont bother throwing some suggestions
> out.
>
> it wouldnt be cool changing the ps2 into a pc that would be boring!!

Did you even read my post?
Sat 18/01/03 at 18:17
"period drama"
Odin wrote:
> Yeah i see what your saying. I was only suggesting things thta would
> be "cool", not saying they are going to be made and everyone
> must buy them. Next time i wont bother throwing some suggestions out.

Don't kill yourself about it.
Everyone's allwoed their own opinion, that was mine.

They'd be interesting if they were made - being able to print off your screens. Or even record footage of your best lap times or whatever straight out of the game.
It's be useful and indeed fun, but most people wouldn't buy into it or afford it.
It's like the whole light-gun thing and why those games don't sell too well - no one wants to shell otu extra just so they can play the game properly.
They want minimum price, maximum enjoyment.
Sat 18/01/03 at 18:25
Regular
Do you think the online gaming thing will kick off then because its going to be pretty costly and all its doing really is enhancing the multiplayer aspect of games. If there is ever going to be a hardrive for the PS2 do you think that will become popular. It may be quite expensive and you dont need one, will it give out "maximum enjoyment" for the price it costs. Maybe we need a little supply/demand diagram here but with enjoyment/price, then we could see where maximum enjoyment begins to drop with realistic price :)
Mon 20/01/03 at 09:52
well actually your badly all cool, and my mate robbbie aka vice says hell show you all his hardware weneva you want and by the way christinin is cool!
Mon 20/01/03 at 09:56
Regular
"Bah"
ure all badly cool

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.