GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your Gaming Roots."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/01/03 at 16:40
Regular
Okay, by now we all know that everyone on this site is a very keen gamer, right?

But how did it all begin for you?

When did you first become interested in gaming?

What attracted you to games in the first place?

What was your first console?

What was your favourite ‘retro’ game? And what is your favourite game at this current time?

And finally, why do you still play games to this date? And what console do you prefer now?

(Please, no console wars stuff, please. Its all about individual opinions)

Just to get things started, I’ll let you all know about my ‘Gaming Roots’

I am now 18 years old and I remember the first time I ever played a computer game. I was visiting my Uncle and he had just bought a Spectrum. I was around 5 years old at the time and the first game I played was ‘Batman’. I enjoyed it very much.

So a few days later, my Uncle came over to my house and gave me an offer. “I’ll swap you the Spectrum for your VCR”. Well I agreed, and we traded, it’s the best deal I ever did in my life. I have now been hooked on games for the past 13 years or so and I don’t think I’ll ever tire of them.

As you will have realised, my first console was the Spectrum, and I was attracted to games, just simply because the amount of fun and entertainment they provide you with. My favourite ‘Retro’ game was ‘Rockfall’. It was a Spectrum game where you had to lead a little guy around whilst trying to avoid any rocks landing on the little sods napper.

Sometime the simplest ideas are the best, eh?

But in this present day, my favourite games are certainly the entire ‘GTA Series’. There is just so much fun contained in those 5 little discs that it is unbelievable. I have been playing games all of my life; I have had many consoles over the years. I now have a PS2, GC, X-box and a Dreamcast, because put simply, and honestly, games are my life and I will continue to play games for many more years to come.

Well, that’s my story, so now, how did it all start for you?

Lou Role.
Sat 18/01/03 at 16:40
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Okay, by now we all know that everyone on this site is a very keen gamer, right?

But how did it all begin for you?

When did you first become interested in gaming?

What attracted you to games in the first place?

What was your first console?

What was your favourite ‘retro’ game? And what is your favourite game at this current time?

And finally, why do you still play games to this date? And what console do you prefer now?

(Please, no console wars stuff, please. Its all about individual opinions)

Just to get things started, I’ll let you all know about my ‘Gaming Roots’

I am now 18 years old and I remember the first time I ever played a computer game. I was visiting my Uncle and he had just bought a Spectrum. I was around 5 years old at the time and the first game I played was ‘Batman’. I enjoyed it very much.

So a few days later, my Uncle came over to my house and gave me an offer. “I’ll swap you the Spectrum for your VCR”. Well I agreed, and we traded, it’s the best deal I ever did in my life. I have now been hooked on games for the past 13 years or so and I don’t think I’ll ever tire of them.

As you will have realised, my first console was the Spectrum, and I was attracted to games, just simply because the amount of fun and entertainment they provide you with. My favourite ‘Retro’ game was ‘Rockfall’. It was a Spectrum game where you had to lead a little guy around whilst trying to avoid any rocks landing on the little sods napper.

Sometime the simplest ideas are the best, eh?

But in this present day, my favourite games are certainly the entire ‘GTA Series’. There is just so much fun contained in those 5 little discs that it is unbelievable. I have been playing games all of my life; I have had many consoles over the years. I now have a PS2, GC, X-box and a Dreamcast, because put simply, and honestly, games are my life and I will continue to play games for many more years to come.

Well, that’s my story, so now, how did it all start for you?

Lou Role.
Sat 18/01/03 at 16:44
Regular
"Balls"
i got it when the nes came out, along with mario bros 1, those were the days.

and fave game at moment - i have always liked final fantasy ever scince the start. (i had no 1, then the series got messed up)

fave retro game - mario bros 3 or turtles nes game.
Sat 18/01/03 at 16:45
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Well, i played my first game on the MegaDrive when i was being babysitted and was round his house. Later on, i bought his MegaDrive. The best game i have ever played, and my favourite game, is Flash back for the MD. It was a kind of stealth game, similar to MGS, but a hell of alot better.
Sat 18/01/03 at 17:00
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
Wow i had flashback for the CDI but i can't remember whether it was the sidescrolling one or the one where his head was gonna explode, 2 totally different games around the same time so i get them mixed up.
Sat 18/01/03 at 17:03
Regular
Sonic on the MegaDrive was the game that got me into gaming and started my love-affair with SEGA games.
I remember buying Sonic 2 on the day of release - or as it was called at the time "Sonic Twosday".
Golden days.
Sat 18/01/03 at 17:06
Regular
SNES round my cousins house were my first gaming experiences. Mainly Mario kart and Street fighter 2 turbo. Quality stuff.

My first system was the Amiga 600. Spent about 5 years hooked on Sensible soccer and Champ manager. Champ manager seems dated now becasue of the new versions on the PC but SWOS is still a quality game even today. I seem to have lost my Amiga though...I think its either somewhere in the mess i call my room or someone has left it to rot in the loft.
Sat 18/01/03 at 17:07
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Nerevar wrote:
> Sonic on the MegaDrive was the game that got me into gaming and
> started my love-affair with SEGA games.
> I remember buying Sonic 2 on the day of release - or as it was called
> at the time "Sonic Twosday".
> Golden days.

Anyone remember 'Mortal Monday' too?

(No prizes for guessing what game that heralded the release of)
Sat 18/01/03 at 17:10
Regular
For me it was kinda like sex...it just happened.
Sat 18/01/03 at 17:10
Regular
VenomByte wrote:
> Anyone remember 'Mortal Monday' too?
>
> (No prizes for guessing what game that heralded the release of)

Yes, I remember, and I remember buying it [Mortal Kombat] as well.
The dawn of the videogame hype machine eh....
Sat 18/01/03 at 17:12
"High polygon count"
Lou Role wrote:
> But how did it all begin for you?

My parents bought me a Commodore VIC-20 in 1981, when I was 10. I'd looked at the ORIC-1, BBC Micro and a few others, but the VIC-20 was a much better package.

> When did you first become interested in gaming?

A few years before the VIC-20. My cousin had an original Atari system, which I loved. Then I got one of my own - not an Atari, though - some other system whose name I can't remember.

> What attracted you to games in the first place?

The arcades at Butlins in Minehead.

> What was your first console?

Strictly speaking, that old system - but really, it was the original PlayStation.

> What was your favourite ‘retro’ game? And what is your favourite game
> at this current time?

Jet Pac on the VIC-20 was my fave 'retro'. Resident Evil (the original version on PS1) is my fave of all time.

> And finally, why do you still play games to this date? And what
> console do you prefer now?

Because they're fun! Preferred machine is PS2, and is likely to remain so in the current generation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.