GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you feel remorse?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/01/03 at 19:02
Regular
When playing games do you ever stop to think about what you’re doing? Yes, the game is not real but deep down you’re getting pleasure in the thought of killing something or blowing something up, so do you ever feel some kind of remorse? This isn’t a post blaming violent games for the fall of our once great nation, that’s more suited to tabloid papers who have very little idea of the issue, or anything really.

Since games have been around the main aim of many games is to KILL KILL KILL. From aliens to killer tomatoes… just pick up a gun and shoot the thing to smithereens. Even in games more suited to a non-violent trend such As Mario or Sonic you still needed to kill a number of weird and ludicrous creatures. Indeed, it is a selling feature and it’s a fairly simple but yet an enjoying feature. In many games you always seem to come across as the ‘goodie’ and the enemy is pure evil and deserve to die which simply gives you more pleasure in blowing their Satan like heads off. Many people argue that all this violence leads to gangs of Neanderthals to go out and commit crimes ‘because the games made them’. This is most likely nonsense and is mostly due to the fact that there was a flaw in the child’s upbringing, the leading candidate being pee poor parenting. As I said before… this is more of a post to ask if there is just a tiny little voice at the back of your head saying: “ This is wrong Mr Adams, go watch Coronation Street and plant a tree instead. “

Probably the most well known games mainly consisting of violence is the Grand Theft Auto series. GTA1 being widely reported in the press because you got points for running people over. Then when the game came out in 3D there was further attention with people saying the game would ruin the world. Well it didn’t but it did give the gamer the ability to rampage on a crime spree in very realistic graphics. From blowing up cars to continuously kicking somebody on the ground and watch the blood splurt out them. It was indeed playing this game that led me to write this post. I think I had just shot somebody with a sniper rifle and watched the fountain of blood spew from the hole in their head. I then thought to myself: “ This isn’t right, I should go plant a tree instead to show my love of people and the world “. Well being a fairly nice guy who does not resort to violence in life and would never kill someone I started to feel a bit of remorse in my actions. Yes, as I said before it is only a game but when I’m grinning like some sort of evil dictator whilst running over old woman with bags I start to worry slightly. Is this releasing all the evil in me? Am I some sort of Jekel/Hyde character? Well the answer is no, it’s just fun to blow up and kill lots of moving graphics.

After thinking about this for a minute or two I wondered if people have had a similar thought. Most sensible people can distinguish between games and reality and that they are almost non-related to violence. But are there gamers out there who know this but still oppose to the detailed violence in say GTA? Are there people who sometimes feel occasionally guilty of what they’re doing? Are there people who think I’m a soft little gurly wurly? Are there people after reading this post that want to go plant a tree now?. Thanks for reading and answers on a postcard.
Sun 19/01/03 at 17:11
55 replies and I think only one answered the question.

Good for you.
Sun 19/01/03 at 15:37
Regular
"bit of a brain"
BEARDS. wrote:
> Meka's style does stand out
> quite a bit. Couldn't say why though, it just does.

Because you love him.
And the circle is complete.
Sun 19/01/03 at 15:31
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
Hey where is the search engine on SR, link anyone?
Sun 19/01/03 at 15:30
Regular
Maybe it is belldandy

or Light

or the cool bloke

or YH
Sun 19/01/03 at 15:17
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
"It's Shaneo, get i'm!"

"It's Reynolds, get 'im!"

"It's Russ! Why the change in username?"

Multiple scenarios rule. :D
Sun 19/01/03 at 15:14
Humbug

I knew I shouldn't have put details down
Sun 19/01/03 at 15:06
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
Darn so you do know who it is then? Cool i wish i were a staffie... *thinks*

NO I TAKE IT BACK
Sun 19/01/03 at 15:04
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
No. If they want you to know who they are, then that's their business.
Sun 19/01/03 at 15:01
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
Hey BEARDS. can you shed any light on who posted this I mean his real identity (2nd account)
Sun 19/01/03 at 14:49
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
gerrid wrote:
> You're an expert eh?

I'm quite good at it actually. Probably because I have to read everything on here at a fair speed and Meka's style does stand out quite a bit. Couldn't say why though, it just does.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.