GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Most aptly named game EVER!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/01/03 at 15:28
Regular
When I was younger my parents were quite strict towards me with regards to the games I was allowed to purchase.

1994 was the year, I was about to turn 14 and Mortal Kombat 2 had just been released. Now I had received the first one the year before for my birthday and so I thought 'no problem', I'll ask for the second one for my birthday. However things didn't seem to turn out quite how I expected them to! About two weeks before my birthday I was told that I couldn't have MK2 because it was a 15 rated game and that it was too bloody. Now this didn't seem logical to me as I had been telling my parents about how good the game was as I had been playing it around a mates house for the last 3 weeks, so my argument began to start:

Me - "Why can't I have it, I've already played it, I know what it's like"

Mum - "It's a 15 rated game, and your not 15"

Me - "But I play it around Chris' house (my mate) most nights"

Mum - "It's OK for your to play it around there but your not going to play it here until your 15"

Me - "Yeah but I'm only 1 year too young, I've got the first one and I've played the second one"

Mum - "I said no"

So with the law laid down, and the fact that if I ever got on the wrong side of my parents I'd be eating either via a tube for a week or eating gruel, I decided that with my birthday money it probably wouldn't be best to purchase that game. So as it got closer to my birthday I decided that I'd by all the Megadrive Review magazines that I could to try to work out which game I'd get instead. I flicked through them all missing out all the sports games as I wanted a beat 'em up and came to the only one I could find - Ballz.

One interview gave it 86% which I thought was not too bad and it maybe worth a shot, seeing as I can play MK2 around my mates house anyway, and this'll give us another 2 player beat 'em up I can half decapitate him on or at least split his atoms on anyway. I went into my local shop where I picked up a copy and took it over to the cash desk, the assistant picked the game up with a slight chuckle "thats odd I thought....surely he's seen the title of that game before, working in here and all". Then I got home and found out why! What an absolute load of Ballz. £45 quid it cost me and it was as enjoyable as wearing a jumper that your nan knitted to a school disco.

I wondered if the magazine had got it right so I looked up the review again and re-read it in case I had missed part of the game you have to unlock or something....nope! All it said was....It was meant to be a funny - I've had funnier headaches. It was meant to be addictive - It lasted about 2 hours. It was meant to be one of the games of the year - Is that 'worst games of the year' or most 'diabolical games of the year?'. It'll make you laugh your ball head off - It made me want to vomit it was so bad.

There were few characters in the game you could take control of, each with their own moves and yes - they were made up of ballz. In true MK/Street fighter Fashion you fought 1 on 1 with a competitor (In true...listen to me I'm making the game sound good!), also made out of Ballz but in a 3D arena where you could technically 'run' away from your competitor (that took up 90 minutes of the games life...watching a big fat Ballz Dinosaur running after a mad clown...I'll explain later). There was nothing that could reprieve this game and the £45 charge made my wallet feel violated, cheap and nasty...and all just to get some ball action.

This had to be one of the worst games ever made, anywhere. My advice to anyone wanting it (my advice not the game you mad man)...you'll like it...it is free....is that never buy a game with a subliminal message, they really are trying to tell you something.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 20/01/03 at 15:28
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
When I was younger my parents were quite strict towards me with regards to the games I was allowed to purchase.

1994 was the year, I was about to turn 14 and Mortal Kombat 2 had just been released. Now I had received the first one the year before for my birthday and so I thought 'no problem', I'll ask for the second one for my birthday. However things didn't seem to turn out quite how I expected them to! About two weeks before my birthday I was told that I couldn't have MK2 because it was a 15 rated game and that it was too bloody. Now this didn't seem logical to me as I had been telling my parents about how good the game was as I had been playing it around a mates house for the last 3 weeks, so my argument began to start:

Me - "Why can't I have it, I've already played it, I know what it's like"

Mum - "It's a 15 rated game, and your not 15"

Me - "But I play it around Chris' house (my mate) most nights"

Mum - "It's OK for your to play it around there but your not going to play it here until your 15"

Me - "Yeah but I'm only 1 year too young, I've got the first one and I've played the second one"

Mum - "I said no"

So with the law laid down, and the fact that if I ever got on the wrong side of my parents I'd be eating either via a tube for a week or eating gruel, I decided that with my birthday money it probably wouldn't be best to purchase that game. So as it got closer to my birthday I decided that I'd by all the Megadrive Review magazines that I could to try to work out which game I'd get instead. I flicked through them all missing out all the sports games as I wanted a beat 'em up and came to the only one I could find - Ballz.

One interview gave it 86% which I thought was not too bad and it maybe worth a shot, seeing as I can play MK2 around my mates house anyway, and this'll give us another 2 player beat 'em up I can half decapitate him on or at least split his atoms on anyway. I went into my local shop where I picked up a copy and took it over to the cash desk, the assistant picked the game up with a slight chuckle "thats odd I thought....surely he's seen the title of that game before, working in here and all". Then I got home and found out why! What an absolute load of Ballz. £45 quid it cost me and it was as enjoyable as wearing a jumper that your nan knitted to a school disco.

I wondered if the magazine had got it right so I looked up the review again and re-read it in case I had missed part of the game you have to unlock or something....nope! All it said was....It was meant to be a funny - I've had funnier headaches. It was meant to be addictive - It lasted about 2 hours. It was meant to be one of the games of the year - Is that 'worst games of the year' or most 'diabolical games of the year?'. It'll make you laugh your ball head off - It made me want to vomit it was so bad.

There were few characters in the game you could take control of, each with their own moves and yes - they were made up of ballz. In true MK/Street fighter Fashion you fought 1 on 1 with a competitor (In true...listen to me I'm making the game sound good!), also made out of Ballz but in a 3D arena where you could technically 'run' away from your competitor (that took up 90 minutes of the games life...watching a big fat Ballz Dinosaur running after a mad clown...I'll explain later). There was nothing that could reprieve this game and the £45 charge made my wallet feel violated, cheap and nasty...and all just to get some ball action.

This had to be one of the worst games ever made, anywhere. My advice to anyone wanting it (my advice not the game you mad man)...you'll like it...it is free....is that never buy a game with a subliminal message, they really are trying to tell you something.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.