GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Weirdo Game Collectors"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/01/02 at 13:25
Regular
Are you aware of this strange breed? Perhaps you are even one of them.

The GAMES COLLECTOR: a person who buys game after game and yet hardly ever plays them.

I mention this because I suspect my cousin is one.
In his room is a N64, a PSone and a PS2, and his TV cabanet is crammed with games - all pristine.
There's 16 N64 titles, over 30 PSone games, and about 7 top PS2 games.
But the strange thing is: I've never seen him play any of them!

Yeah he talks about gaming all the time, but when you ask him about certain games - he either says: "Oh I haven't played it yet", or "I'm only on the first level".

He recently bought Grand Theft Auto 3, so being an avid gamer I asked him yesterday what it was like.
And you know what he said? He said: "I've only had a quick blast."
Now he purchased this game over 10 days ago, and seeing that it is supposedly one of the best and most addictive games currently available on the PS2, I found his apathy towards the game totally astounding!

So have I identified a strange breed within gaming, or is it just my cousin who's weird?
Wed 23/01/02 at 18:16
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I once knew a man from nantucket...no thats the wrong person. Anywho, I recently bought a Dreamcast of a bloke who seemed a bit weird to me. In front of his TV he had just about every console released in the UK, Master System, Mega Drive, NES, SNES, Saturn, N64, Playstation, Dreamcast and PS2 all with between 10 and 30 games on each console. Either he was a theif fixated with stealing only consoles, doubtful as he was short and fat and probably couldn't get away from the law with ease, or he was the most sad 30-ish year old bloke I had ever seen.
Wed 23/01/02 at 18:16
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
i'm no where near like that although i keep my games and console i'd never trade my snes for anything or my PS1.

but i do buy a lot of DVD's which sometimes i don't watch for ages after getting it.

I got Pitch Black recently and still haven't watched it yet had it for almost a week now :)
Wed 23/01/02 at 18:10
Regular
I'm suprised FM hasn't popped up to defend himself yet... :0)
Wed 23/01/02 at 17:41
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
[wEiRd KiD] wrote:
> Maybe he just likes looking at the design on the front and reading the game
> manual. Or maybe not.

Why do that when you can print for covers from many websites, and read the game manuals from a few chosen, strange websites.

On another note, most people in my area just get absorbed in their games, not like that wierdo cousin of yours (no offence). Have you looked at his face lately? It's likely that he's entering the adolesimian stage of Monkeynucleosis.

No monkeys were harmed in the making of this post.

MOW
Wed 23/01/02 at 17:25
Maybe he just likes looking at the design on the front and reading the game manual. Or maybe not.
Wed 23/01/02 at 16:52
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> People are strange, collectors are just plain weird. What's the point of owning
> a game, if you're not going to use it? Does it make you feel good? You should
> be ashamed. Not you, him.

...unless of course, he's an SR customer, in which case you no doubt have mucho respect for his chosen lifestyle, with respect to gaming.
Wed 23/01/02 at 14:54
Regular
I got a few games that I havnt played properly yet.

Even though I may not have time to play on them, I will buy the game to add it to my collection. I would never miss out on a top title.

Examples of this with me are Zelda:MM, Jak and Daxter, Devil May Cry and Twisted Metal Black. I have only probably spent half an hour on each...But I always know, that when I am bored I will have them to come back to.
Wed 23/01/02 at 14:30
Regular
Maybe he's a secret gaming addict who doesn't want to be reminded of his crippling obsession?
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:44
Regular
"I confused?"
Just go in to his room and play on them.
Wed 23/01/02 at 13:42
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
People are strange, collectors are just plain weird. What's the point of owning a game, if you're not going to use it? Does it make you feel good? You should be ashamed. Not you, him.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.