GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Getaway - how much have they changed?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Getaway'.
Mon 20/01/03 at 20:37
Regular
You may have read that The Getaway had to be changed because British Telecom complained about one of the missions.

(For those that don't know: one of the missions involves posing as a BT engineer and entering a police station to break someone out, and requires the killing of several police officers in the process. BT got a little miffed about it, and Sony agreed to change the mission. That's why many shops didn't have any stock of the game since just before Christmas until fairly recently.)

But how much has actually changed?

I got the game at launch, thanks to a GAD win from SR. A friend of mine played it on my machine a few weeks later, liked it, and decided to get his own copy - but by this time, original stock had sold out in our area, and he's had to wait until today to get his copy.

He phoned me tonight, asking what car it is that the gang drive off in during the first scene, after kidnapping Hammond's son. In my original copy, it's a red Jaguar. Those of you who own an original copy should be able to verify this.

But my friend is telling me that in his copy (which will be the version with the amended mission), they drive off in a red Rover! And apparently, he hasn't seen any Jaguar's anywhere in the game so far.

Does anyone have access to the new version to confirm this? Better yet, does anyone have access to BOTH versions to see if anything else has changed?

I'll be doing some investigating of my own when my friend brings his copy round - but unfortunately that won't be until Sunday at the earliest.
Mon 20/01/03 at 20:37
"High polygon count"
You may have read that The Getaway had to be changed because British Telecom complained about one of the missions.

(For those that don't know: one of the missions involves posing as a BT engineer and entering a police station to break someone out, and requires the killing of several police officers in the process. BT got a little miffed about it, and Sony agreed to change the mission. That's why many shops didn't have any stock of the game since just before Christmas until fairly recently.)

But how much has actually changed?

I got the game at launch, thanks to a GAD win from SR. A friend of mine played it on my machine a few weeks later, liked it, and decided to get his own copy - but by this time, original stock had sold out in our area, and he's had to wait until today to get his copy.

He phoned me tonight, asking what car it is that the gang drive off in during the first scene, after kidnapping Hammond's son. In my original copy, it's a red Jaguar. Those of you who own an original copy should be able to verify this.

But my friend is telling me that in his copy (which will be the version with the amended mission), they drive off in a red Rover! And apparently, he hasn't seen any Jaguar's anywhere in the game so far.

Does anyone have access to the new version to confirm this? Better yet, does anyone have access to BOTH versions to see if anything else has changed?

I'll be doing some investigating of my own when my friend brings his copy round - but unfortunately that won't be until Sunday at the earliest.
Mon 20/01/03 at 21:06
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
I have a copy of The Getaway, but my mum only got it a few weeks before Christams. In the demo, the car in the first mission was a red Jaguar, but in my game it's a red Rover 75. But my game wasn't that old, a long time before they decided to remove the mission. Maybe mines a special edition. *Gets excited*. There aren't any Jaguars in the game either, which is a shame.
Mon 20/01/03 at 21:12
"High polygon count"
Maybe it's just my imagination. Could've sworn it was a Jag!
Mon 20/01/03 at 21:20
Regular
Vrrrrrroooooooom vrrrrrrroooooom brrrrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:05
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Maybe it's just my imagination. Could've sworn it was a Jag!

It was, as i said. So, in your game, do they have the Rover 75 on it at all? There aren't any Jaguars on my version, just all 75's.
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:36
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Yeah, I think you just got a bit confused Wookie, which is understandable considering both cars are almost identical.

But it's definitely a Rover!
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:37
"period drama"
Juicy Melons is driving in his car (dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum-dum)
It's not quite a Jaguar (dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum-dum)
Mon 20/01/03 at 22:37
"period drama"
Juicy Melons is driving in his car (dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum-dum)
It's not quite a Jaguar (dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum-dum)
Tue 21/01/03 at 00:11
Regular
Heh, damn rover and thier jaguar imitating car!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.