GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Sonic Generations"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Sonic Generations'.
Mon 09/01/12 at 15:22
"possibly impossible"
The Generation Game
Whether fate or just a wish to do too much, console based Sonic games this generation have really only ever been good on the Wii, with PS3 and 360 games failing to appease the anger of long term hedgehog fans.

So it was with the same level of trepidation that you'd use when faced with a real hedgehog while walking barefoot in the dark that I approached Sonic Generations on the 360.

The Next Generation
Sonic Generations celebrates both Sonic's Birthday and his history. The title music makes it clear that this is a homage and, as if to hammer the point home, the first level is a recreation of the Green Hill Zone from the first Sonic game.

The story is that an evil force (or black smudge, take your pick) has captured Sonic's friends as they were about to throw him a big Birthday surprise party, the rotter. Sonic runs in to the black hole ripped in the sky and begins his adventure.

It's soon apparent that there are 2 Sonics, though. The old Sonic, with his youthful looks and knack of not actually speaking, and the teen Sonic with his attitude. This is represented in the game by being able to pick from two different styles on the same level, a 2D traditional style level or a newer 3D level.

These levels represent the whole history of Sonic games, but they're not carbon copies. Pseudo-3D elements abound in the 2D games and the 3D levels torn from games like Sonic Adventure are far more streamlined than the speed runs found in the original games.

Though a few of the courses still suffer from having too many obstacles to build up enough speed, most of the levels are a joy to play and hark back to a time when Sonic games were all about speed and memorising the quickest way to the finish.

Once the two styles are complete, the level is unlocked and a character is brought back, but luckily they don't become playable. Previous Sonic games suffered from extended cast members, but Sonic Generations keeps it simple and provides Sonic as a playable character (albeit in 2 forms).

When all the levels have been completed, a huge set of doors appear and allow you to take on challenges in different tasks. Earning keys for challenges lets you unlock the boss level (3 keys per level). The boss levels are pretty much the old skool style 'beat the huge monster' but on a much grander scale. They can be pretty annoying, but at least they can be replayed over again at any time once you've unlocked the gate.

Re-Generation

The challenges also provide you with a lot of re-playability. Speed runs, challenges against Sonic's foes (including the uber-cool Mecha Sonic/Metal Sonic from Sonic CD) and tasks mean that levels take on a new role and a new challenge. Once completed. they give you points towards items from the shop.

Power-ups, artwork and other items can be unlocked for points. There's even an unlockable Megadrive with the original Sonic The hedgehog for those who haven't already splashed out the points on the XBLA or PSN stores.

The art, movies and music can be browsed through in a museum setting, invoking memories of the Saturn's Sonic Jam.

Talking about My Generation

Sonic Generations is a great looking game. Graphically superior to any previous Sonic game, the levels are well designed and the 3D sections in particular look great, especially when there is so much going on in the background.

Although the game still suffers from too much speed at times (perhaps I'm getting old, but my eyes couldn't keep up with the blur), it all looks beautiful.

Likewise, sound effects and music manage to both stay true to old Sonic and provide something modern without edging too far in to the pitfalls of either side.

Generation Next

Overall, Sonic Generations is a great return to form for the spiky blue hero. It might be a little short for some (though I still haven't completed it having tried to go through every challenge to get a top score) and others may find the speed a little too much for their eyes, but for most long-term Sonic fans, this is a great game that proves their hero can provide a current gen hit.

8/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 09/01/12 at 15:22
"possibly impossible"
The Generation Game
Whether fate or just a wish to do too much, console based Sonic games this generation have really only ever been good on the Wii, with PS3 and 360 games failing to appease the anger of long term hedgehog fans.

So it was with the same level of trepidation that you'd use when faced with a real hedgehog while walking barefoot in the dark that I approached Sonic Generations on the 360.

The Next Generation
Sonic Generations celebrates both Sonic's Birthday and his history. The title music makes it clear that this is a homage and, as if to hammer the point home, the first level is a recreation of the Green Hill Zone from the first Sonic game.

The story is that an evil force (or black smudge, take your pick) has captured Sonic's friends as they were about to throw him a big Birthday surprise party, the rotter. Sonic runs in to the black hole ripped in the sky and begins his adventure.

It's soon apparent that there are 2 Sonics, though. The old Sonic, with his youthful looks and knack of not actually speaking, and the teen Sonic with his attitude. This is represented in the game by being able to pick from two different styles on the same level, a 2D traditional style level or a newer 3D level.

These levels represent the whole history of Sonic games, but they're not carbon copies. Pseudo-3D elements abound in the 2D games and the 3D levels torn from games like Sonic Adventure are far more streamlined than the speed runs found in the original games.

Though a few of the courses still suffer from having too many obstacles to build up enough speed, most of the levels are a joy to play and hark back to a time when Sonic games were all about speed and memorising the quickest way to the finish.

Once the two styles are complete, the level is unlocked and a character is brought back, but luckily they don't become playable. Previous Sonic games suffered from extended cast members, but Sonic Generations keeps it simple and provides Sonic as a playable character (albeit in 2 forms).

When all the levels have been completed, a huge set of doors appear and allow you to take on challenges in different tasks. Earning keys for challenges lets you unlock the boss level (3 keys per level). The boss levels are pretty much the old skool style 'beat the huge monster' but on a much grander scale. They can be pretty annoying, but at least they can be replayed over again at any time once you've unlocked the gate.

Re-Generation

The challenges also provide you with a lot of re-playability. Speed runs, challenges against Sonic's foes (including the uber-cool Mecha Sonic/Metal Sonic from Sonic CD) and tasks mean that levels take on a new role and a new challenge. Once completed. they give you points towards items from the shop.

Power-ups, artwork and other items can be unlocked for points. There's even an unlockable Megadrive with the original Sonic The hedgehog for those who haven't already splashed out the points on the XBLA or PSN stores.

The art, movies and music can be browsed through in a museum setting, invoking memories of the Saturn's Sonic Jam.

Talking about My Generation

Sonic Generations is a great looking game. Graphically superior to any previous Sonic game, the levels are well designed and the 3D sections in particular look great, especially when there is so much going on in the background.

Although the game still suffers from too much speed at times (perhaps I'm getting old, but my eyes couldn't keep up with the blur), it all looks beautiful.

Likewise, sound effects and music manage to both stay true to old Sonic and provide something modern without edging too far in to the pitfalls of either side.

Generation Next

Overall, Sonic Generations is a great return to form for the spiky blue hero. It might be a little short for some (though I still haven't completed it having tried to go through every challenge to get a top score) and others may find the speed a little too much for their eyes, but for most long-term Sonic fans, this is a great game that proves their hero can provide a current gen hit.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.