GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Calling all computing Genius's.....................PLEASE!!!!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/01/03 at 10:23
Regular
when i start a game like champ man from windows XP the brightness of the screen drops to about 20%. The monitor is still set to 100% and windows the same. Its hasnt always been like this and has only started to happen recently. All games were doing this so uninstalled them and put them back on with no joy.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ?
Mon 24/02/03 at 00:11
Regular
"Suck it baby, yeah!"
Sounds like a monitor prob, do you use a CRT monitor? (The big ones)How long have you used it for? My two year old CRT has recently developed a problem which causes it to take on a very noticeable yellow tinge every other hour. It could be a heat problem, did you move your monitor before this problem started? It might be a video card driver problem, in which case download the latest drivers. Have you dropped the monitor lately? Just an inch might be enough to set problems off. It could be an OS problem, but that is highly unlikely. Did the problem start when you began playing games on XP? Try installing a different OS.
Sun 02/02/03 at 23:23
Regular
With the 23.11's it wont stick to the brightness level i tell it to do in the control panel... so i just used my monitor to turn it up :S
Sun 02/02/03 at 23:19
Good point I also have xp and I had resolution problems with 40.72 drivers and although det destroyers dont work on xp you can do an uninstal on xp and it doesnt leave anything behind as far as im aware

I downloaded the new drivers 41.09 (supposedly 25% better in the readme although I only got a few more points out on bench mark) this cured the resolution prob when exiting games.

Most monitors have a memory for things like brightness and resolution and I assumed at first it was a dodgy monitor but found out it was a xp bad install of drivers

well good luck with it anyway
Wed 22/01/03 at 21:47
Regular
Det destoyer only works in 98..... other than that XP is fine putting unistalling normally than putting in the new drivers.
Wed 22/01/03 at 15:47
Regular
I had the same problem. Got a new monitor though and it worked fine after that.
Tue 21/01/03 at 19:02
My best suggestion is to get 'Detonator destroyer' delete the new drivers and re-instal old ones that worked either that or mess around with gamma correction settings in the nvidia software.

Any help?
Tue 21/01/03 at 18:56
It's for the GeForce 3 - drivers are pretty recent, v40.72 I think.
Tue 21/01/03 at 18:51
Details plz - GC manufacturer etc, new drivers installed recently and the like???
Tue 21/01/03 at 18:47
I remember having to save the brightness settings for my graphics card driver in order to get the same brightness after exiting a game.
Tue 21/01/03 at 10:39
Regular
Try changing your XP resolution to the same resolution you are using for the game, it could possibly be a simple problem with that resolution. Also try looking into your graphics drivers for the brightness settings on your video card drivers to see if it has individual settings for DirectX and OpenGL.

If all else fails try removing then installing the latest card drivers for your video card. If it doesn't help contact your hardware supplier for help, especially if it is under warranty.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.