GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sonic...was it believable?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/01/03 at 10:49
Regular
The one thing you will notice about retro games is that you were always faced with a baddie that wouldn't even be scary in a punch and judy show. When your trying to battle away you know that your main objective is to beat the bad guys, yet many of them would be lucky to even be mentioned in the toilets of the FBI HQ (If they were real obviously!).

If we start by looking at Sonics old arch enemy Dr Robotnik the first thing you notice about the guy is that he weighs about the equivalent of a small light aircraft...nothing too big...maybe a 747 or something, and his legs are so skinny that there is little chance of them being able to support him for periods of longer that 15 seconds before they start to buckle. Now Sonic is hardly that sort of character you'd expect to be a superhero kind of good guy, because he's a Hedgehog, and a blue one at that! Sonic could probably run at a top speed of approx. 80mph, so how is it that he could never catch up with someone that makes the Hindenberg look small? What is also failed to be recognised is that some of the levels that you travel through were created by Dr. Robotnik, yet how did he make them all by himself? It would have taken ages (mind you it worked on The Goonies I suppose), and I don't think he would have had the strength to fix half of the things to a wall 30 ft high, and he was dumb enough to leave gold rings everywhere! H Samuels must have loved his business.

If we move aside from 'ol Dr Lardy and onto Sonic, I'm still confused as to how he never got run over by a car...in all 10 levels...It's just not possible for a Hedgehog to do that. What also confused me was that Sonic was able to curl up into a ball and then spin on the spot before 'shooting' off! Surely this would only be possible if Sonic curled up into a ball and a 6 year old run up and went "look mummy a ball" before kicking it in true Alan Shearer fashion to the otherside of the street (Cries from RSPCA - "leave that Hedgehog alone".... Your mum shouts "Two points....er...run Johnny run"). Another point to make about sonic is that Hedgehogs actually walk on all four limbs and don't wear Michael Jackson style gloves he, he, sh'mon.

Sonics mate Tails is hardly a friend...as soon as that fox gets killer instincts, then Sonic is going to make a lovely steak and eaten along with a nice bottle of Chianti. Also how in the world did he learn to fly? A flying fox...Dr Robotnik should have captured him and the Blue Hedgehog and sold them both to the circus, he would have been minted. All in all as good as the game was, and as easy as it was to complete - blooming good game. As for believability however, I'm convinced, and if I could only get out of my straight jacket to continue to preach to the people...gnaw gnaw
Fri 25/02/05 at 09:55
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Maybe he doesn't get bigger but only thinks he does - magic
> muchrooms!

Maybe he doesnt think he gets bigger - only we know he does?
Mon 21/02/05 at 16:44
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
I think that the first ten seconds of Super Mario Brothers is a filmset. Mario grabs a magic mushroom, gets high on it and believes he's racing karts, playing tennis, golf, and climbing huge buildings jumping barrels and fighting huge monkeys.

"Hello, and welcome to Junkie's anonymous. We have a new member today. Please introduce yourself"
"ITSA-ME-A-MARIO!!!"
Sat 29/01/05 at 23:13
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Never mind Sonic, you've got to think about Mario.
>
> Just what exactly is his head made from? How does a flower make you
> shoot fireballs, and when was the last time you got bigger when you
> ate a mushroom?
>
> It should have been something more realistic, like, um, oysters.
>
> (No-one's gonna get that.)
>
> Pah.

I posted this over two years ago. Can't remember it at all. Glad my brain is still there mind.
Sat 29/01/05 at 03:47
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Wink wrote:
> You all are not very good at oral yet do it alot.

David Walliams tried that, and you ain't David Walliams.

:S
Fri 28/01/05 at 21:58
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Mr Lover Man wrote:
> even be mentioned in the toilets of the FBI HQ (If they were real
> obviously!).

My God, are you telling us the FBI's toilets aren't real?

After reading through the rest of your post, you read far too much into some things, but I would be interested in subscribing to your newsletter.
Fri 28/01/05 at 18:55
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
You all are not very good at oral yet do it alot.
Fri 28/01/05 at 01:01
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Wink wrote:
> You suck, the greatness of the games was because it made no sence.

Weren't referin' to me, were ya?
Wed 26/01/05 at 21:53
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
You suck, the greatness of the games was because it made no sence.
Tue 25/01/05 at 01:02
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
I've been on [URL]http://www.everyvideogame.com/games/sega/text_game_list/s.htm[/URL] and discovered that there ARE some rings in the final act of the 'Electric Egg Zone' on Sonic Chaos. But, i discovered it with Tails, as he has the ability to fly.

How's that for secret?
Tue 21/01/03 at 15:43
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Grix Thraves wrote:
>
> It should have been something more realistic, like, um, oysters.
>
> (No-one's gonna get that.)
>
> Pah.

I'm not sure Mario Bros. would have worked if Mario had taken an aphrodisiac...mind you it would have been interesting to see the outcome. If the same could have been said for Sonic they probably would have made him a rabbit!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.