GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do you see computer games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/01/03 at 12:03
Regular
Games are escapism, right? So why can't you escape when you're in a game? Let me give you an example: The Star Wars series of games - Bounty Hunter was meant to be a game where you can be stealthy, but the developers put too much emphasis on being Jango Fett. The Clone Wars lets you control teams of clones and fly ships and stuff, but it's very limited in how you go about it. I just ordered "Dropship" off a certain website, but when I get it I'm not going to be part of a peacekeeping corp. - I'm gonna be Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Yoda, or whoever the hell I want to be!

And this leads me nicely into the point of this topic. When you play a game, what do you see? Do you emerse yourself to the point where you believe that you are the character, or do you you just think that it's all a load of code, x does this and y does that according to design? The answer is both. When our eyes see the action on the screen, messages are sent to our brains that trigger parts of the body to act and feel certain ways. If a game is done well (good cut-scenes, good gameplay etc...) it can feel like you're part of the action and our bodies will be stimulated by this.

But then on the other hand, it's a load of code written by someone else for your entertainment. Games can't think for themselves, they're all pre-programmed to act certain ways depending on changes around them. What you see is a picture rendered by someone in a small room in Hackney, or something. It's not real, but your body reacts to it like it is. The very notion that you can sit down and be transported to another place and be someone, or something else seems far fetched, but that's exactly what's happening.

Metaphorically speaking, it all depends on which buttons need to be pushed. Have you ever wondered why you're no good at running, but still enjoy the rush of beating your mates at International Track & Field? Or why blasting aliens is so much fun, even though you've never shot anyone before? Different people's brains respond to different actions and stimuli in different ways. The job of the programmer is to trigger these feelings and emotions to help you be part of the game. Did you ever see that Whiskas advert that was meant to be for cats? Lots of flashing lights and contrasting colours that apparently cats could interpret, but we couldn't. It wasn't 100% true though. Different cats would react in different ways, some weren't even bothered at all.

How many times have you picked a game based on your favourite film or TV series and thought it was going to be amazing, only to be let down by poor coding or design work? This happens frequently, as the transition from one medium to another can lose any empathy that may have been felt for certain aspects of it. Games developers nowadays concentrate a lot more on catching the 'feel' of a film or TV series for games, sometimes even incorporating new areas of plots that were never shown originally. Fans will see this and be able to become part of their favourite shows.

But wouldn't this make computer games the perfect medium? If you walk up the street you can see, hear and interact with objects, the same as you would in a game. With the introduction of broadband gaming you'll soon be able to interact with real, live people in all manner of activities. Games let you do anything you can do in real life and much, much more that you'd never be able to do. But there's still a marked difference to how we react to 'real' objects and those within a game. As soon as developers work out how to trigger our senses in the same way as real-life does, the line between gaming and reality will become more and more blurred.
Thu 23/01/03 at 10:06
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Unbeliever wrote:
> How do I see computer games?
>
>
> Erm...with my eyes?

Ahhh... i didn't see the 27,000 replies that were the same as mine. Okay, naff jokes aside, I see computer games as a form of escapism from the mundance realities of life. I also see them as a way of beating your friends!
Thu 23/01/03 at 10:03
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
How do I see computer games?

Erm...with my eyes?
Thu 23/01/03 at 09:44
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I've only felt escapism on a choice few games. Halo is a perfect example, and really draws you in. For example, later on in the game there's a huge ground battle with swooping ships, big tanks and loads of ground troops. And when you're battling these alien punks, you're not thinking 'wow, the developers did a really great job with the AI', you're thinking 'ag, get out from behind that tree you mutha...' - that's not something I come across very often.

The Getaway almost managed it, but spoiled it by having such a shody camera that brings you back down to earth with a thump.
Tue 21/01/03 at 20:14
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Nice post mm. I see Computer games as a relief from the pressures of life.

Bit like books really.
Tue 21/01/03 at 20:11
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I slow-clap at all you mofos. Good day to you.
Tue 21/01/03 at 18:09
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
Joins in the slow clap
Tue 21/01/03 at 17:49
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Asher D wrote:
> How do I see computer games?
>
> With my eyes.

Well done for being the second person to make that 'hilarious' joke.
*claps slowly*
Tue 21/01/03 at 17:39
Total imersion as in I am one with my character,

there is no spoon.
Tue 21/01/03 at 17:32
Regular
How do I see computer games?

With my eyes.
Tue 21/01/03 at 17:04
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I can't believe that you don't get the option to play Red Faction as Arthur Scargill.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.