GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Top Ten Games of 2011"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/01/12 at 00:08
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
So another year down and with it, another wave of new titles to play through. I’ve braved enemies with my sword and shield, traversed stages as a familiar plumber, collected miniature figures and tried out new games I never thought I would. There have been disappointments along the way sure, but overall I’ve been happy with the year as a whole. Please bear in mind I haven’t played every big launch title of the year so some may be missing and also everyone’s list will be different.

So without further delay, here I present my list of the ten best games of 2011.

10. Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure (Xbox 360/Wii/PS3 version)
At twenty three years of age I liked to think I’d grown out of being caught up in the latest craze. If all those years have taught me anything, it’s that more often than not these things were a simple waste of money. But here we are right back where I started; desperately trying to collect small figures (Skylanders) to add to my collection in order to defeat the evil Kaos. Yes it’s an expensive title when you look at it in detail but that doesn’t detract from the clever hardware and very enjoyable adventure that awaits.

9. Child of Eden (Xbox 360 version)
Up until around June nothing had truly made me glad to have a Kinect (Dance Central withstanding) but after trying Child of Eden it made me realise that the device can offer more than just mini games and dance routines. What at first may seem like a simple shooter soon becomes a complete experience unlike any other. The music and visuals are stunningly beautiful while the gameplay itself feels so involved as you use both your hands to shoot. A wonderfully surprising game.

8. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Fortune
Uncharted is one of those games that drew me in thanks to its gorgeous looks and impressive set pieces. Sure you could complain that it’s very restricted in nature going from one scripted point to another, but why bother when what you are doing is so much fun. From the plane scene to the opening pub fight, everything feels so polished and exhilarating. Whether you’re making your way through another gun fight or watching the engaging cutscenes and story unfold, Uncharted 3 is definitely the closest to taking part in an action movie without actually starring in one.

7. Super Mario 3D Land
It may not be as revolutionary as the Galaxy series was for the Wii but it sure is damn fun to play. Taking everything great about the 2D classics and bringing it into the third dimension, Super Mario 3D Land delivered the first real triple A experience and therefore the best showcase for the newly released Nintendo 3DS.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles
I’m not a huge fan of RPGs but something about Xenoblade Chronicles made me want to give it a chance (okay maybe it was the limited edition red controller) but I’m glad I did as I have to say I loved every minute of it. Offering perhaps the longest adventure I’ve played all year, Xenoblade displayed a unique combat system which required both a heavy amount of thought, timing and strategy. The British voice acting may not have been to everyone’s taste but when you have such lovable characters as these it doesn’t matter. With this being the first of the three Japanese Wii titles heading over to Europe, here’s hoping the The Last Story and Pandora’s Tower are just as good.

5. Sonic Generations (Xbox 360/PS3 version)
Sonic Generations delivered fanfare in spades. From the zones, music, characters, unlockables and even the little references to previous games, if you’d grown up with the blue hedgehog you couldn’t help but lap up every minute of it. Lame story and short lifespan aside this offered perhaps the most fun, rollercoaster-like experience of the year and was a fantastic way to celebrate Sonics’ twenty years.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
If Skyward Sword is the last Nintendo developed game to hit the Wii then it seems the company couldn’t have gone out on a better note. Skyward Sword proves that motion controls can work in a mainstream adventure game and that they don’t have to just be restricted to simple mini game affairs.

Visually the game almost looks like a living, breathing painting with audio that even gives the excellent Super Mario Galaxy 2 a run for its money. With new ideas and puzzles at every turn Nintendo may have produced the best Zelda game yet.

3. Batman: Arkham City
Arkham Asylum was an unexpected gem no one was expecting in 2009 delivering one of the most engrossing and exciting games of the year. It was the only game that truly made you feel like the Dark Knight. So how was Rocksteady supposed to top it? Simple. Arkham City.

Taking the fight to the streets and giving you free roam with even more gadgets, the game managed to expand on what made the first so great while adding enough to make you feel like you were stepping into uncharted territory. Throw in the excellent Mark Hamill as Joker and a decent yet still slightly crazy story and once again you feel as if you are the comic book hero Batman.

2. Rayman Origins
If there was an award for best game visually then Rayman would take the crown hands down. And yes while looks aren’t everything it certainly helped compliment the flawless handling of the platforming and genuine charm the game has. Whether playing alone or with friends this is a game that deserves your attention.

1. Portal 2
So here it is. My number one game of 2011. It’s weird considering this was a title I wasn’t even going to get until my girlfriend suggested it (thank you so much by the way) Having not played the first I wasn’t sure what to expect and I guess not knowing only heightened the experience I had over the ten odd hour puzzler.

From the brilliant voice work to the atmosphere itself I was drawn into this mechanical hell. Venturing from room to room I couldn’t wait to see where the heroine would find herself next. The puzzles too were some of the most challenging and rewarding I’ve had the pleasure of completing. And all this before even mentioning the excellent co-op.

Overall it’s hard to fault Portal 2 and in a year focused on straight sequels, yet more shooters and plenty of dancing/workout games it’s nice to get the chance to try such a unique title that reminds us why we love this industry.

So there you have it. My top ten. Be great to hear what you guys think. What has stood out for you this year? What have you had most fun with?

Here’s hoping next year brings just as many exciting games!
Thu 12/01/12 at 21:21
Regular
"I like turtles"
:)
Thu 12/01/12 at 14:06
Regular
pete_21 wrote:
Oh come on Chris the game is a total masterpiece but don't take take my word for it have a read of this and this. An oddly specific 9.2/10 and a five star review rating, you are a very hard man to please! :P

I lol'd at this, because I was expecting professional reviews. More fool me for not mousing over the link >.<

I liked Portal 2 the most this year by far and I give it a 9.255(re-occuring)/10. Hows that for specific? :P
Wed 11/01/12 at 21:17
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Having a quick go at Skylanders again at the mo. I don't know what it is but I can't stop feeling the need to level up my little plastic pals. Would love to pick up some more but they're near impossible to find anywhere right now. Plus expensive too! :(
Wed 11/01/12 at 07:11
Regular
"How Ironic"
Haha I love McLong :')
Tue 10/01/12 at 16:20
Regular
You've lost me.
Tue 10/01/12 at 13:31
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
There is only one variety of "entertainment" I can imagine McLong 'getting through' over a weekend, and it ain't computer games ;)

Top ten games? Not really sure. I'll have me own little think about it I reckon.
Tue 10/01/12 at 11:31
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
McLong wrote:
I'm glad you rate Sonic Generations so highly GK as I have that sitting at home (unopened), waiting to be played.

You need to get playing McLong! It's not the longest title so you could go through it over a weekend (minus the challenges)
Tue 10/01/12 at 09:31
Regular
I'm glad you rate Sonic Generations so highly GK as I have that sitting at home (unopened), waiting to be played.

I probably haven't played enough games that were released last year to form my own top 10 list, but I have played/enjoyed the following:

Skyrim
Fifa 12
Super Mario 3D Land
Zelda: OoT 3D

Umm, that's probably it...
Tue 10/01/12 at 08:32
Regular
"I like turtles"
Oh come on Chris the game is a total masterpiece but don't take take my word for it have a read of this and this. An oddly specific 9.2/10 and a five star review rating, you are a very hard man to please! :P

To be fair the game is actually alright when played properly and fairly, the problem is that its just too easy to cheat on it. I've had a few nights playing against my mates and we have had fun on MW3 but more often than not I have given up with it because so many people select cloaking perks, get quick scoped weapons and go camping. Certain game modes are definitely worse than others. As mentioned the map design lets MW3 down badly, which is a real shame as Treyarch pretty much nailed that in its predecessor Black Ops (apart from the awful Berlin Wall and Discovery from the First Strike Map pack). Suppose I have probably played MW3 more because my friends were always on it than anything else?

Am I still down in your estimation? :)
Tue 10/01/12 at 07:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
pete_21 wrote:
4.Modern Warfare 3

My opinion of you has degraded ever so slightly pete :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.