GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitar, console game idea"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/01/03 at 21:43
Regular
Ok i know a lot of forum users play the guitar. Well i was just thinking it would be excellent to be able to somehow connect an electric guitar up to a console. You get these silly dance mat things that tell you where to put your feet, or some such nonsensical gaming excuse. Well i was thinking there could be onscreen prompts for where to put your fingers. The sound could then be transferred through the console and out of the TV speakers instead of using an amplifier.

This all sounds a bit far fetched and i think it would only be possible for accomplished guitar players. There could be different levels of ability, including different styles of music eg. punk, metal, rock, jazz, blues etc. I think it could be very popular although aimed at a rather niche market.

Say you dont play the guitar but play another instrument. Would be cool then to somehow connect a keyboard, electric violin, base guitar, or any other electrically endowed instrument. This idea would be very fun but could also help people learn their instruments by completeing levels and getting more accustomed to the layout of the keyboard or guitar neck. I know its far fetched but anyone think this could work?

Odin
Thu 23/01/03 at 11:04
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
As soon as you mentioned guitars it wasobvious it was Mr Chainsaw !!

Anyway - there's already plenty of PC software around that teaches guitar by having it plugged in throught the soundcard - it's just an adaption of that really if it was done along teaching lines, but I dont think a game could work without a specifically made peripheral.
Thu 23/01/03 at 09:50
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
And of course there's that drum-kit thing in the arcades as well....
Thu 23/01/03 at 09:46
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
It's not that far fetched, Um Jammer Lammy in the arcades had a guitar controller (although it was buttons not strings) and the way Gitaroo Man emulates a 'whammy bar' definitely points things in that direction. Besides you get things like infrared harps and stuff in science museums, and there are infrared arcade games... it's just a matter of time. Future consoles could be adapted to MIDI instruments (keyboards, electronic sax etc.) but any kind of guitar would need to be specially made (probably infra-red so you could tell where your fingers are on the fret board).
Wed 22/01/03 at 21:43
Regular
Ok i know a lot of forum users play the guitar. Well i was just thinking it would be excellent to be able to somehow connect an electric guitar up to a console. You get these silly dance mat things that tell you where to put your feet, or some such nonsensical gaming excuse. Well i was thinking there could be onscreen prompts for where to put your fingers. The sound could then be transferred through the console and out of the TV speakers instead of using an amplifier.

This all sounds a bit far fetched and i think it would only be possible for accomplished guitar players. There could be different levels of ability, including different styles of music eg. punk, metal, rock, jazz, blues etc. I think it could be very popular although aimed at a rather niche market.

Say you dont play the guitar but play another instrument. Would be cool then to somehow connect a keyboard, electric violin, base guitar, or any other electrically endowed instrument. This idea would be very fun but could also help people learn their instruments by completeing levels and getting more accustomed to the layout of the keyboard or guitar neck. I know its far fetched but anyone think this could work?

Odin

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.