GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Maverick's Funny Stories"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/01/03 at 20:49
Regular
So I was in hostipal today - getting my brace sorted out - and who should I see having a talk, but the caretaker (male, late thirties, somerset-ish) and the cleaner (female, late twenties, welsh)! I only caught a bit of their conversation, but it went like this:

Cleaner: So my boyfriend got me an X-Box for Christmas.
Caretaker: Oh yeah.
Cleaner: You see, the thing is, I got it primarily to play DVDs.
Caretaker: Sounds good.
Cleaner: But you've got to buy this add-on.
Caretaker: Bit of a rip.
Cleaner: Tell me about it. But now I find out that it's extra features include playing games!
Caretaker: Oh. That's odd.
Cleaner: Yeah. Why pay extra for that, ay? Stupid Microsoft.

And then I got called in. That's a funny story.

On a less positive note, to make this topic more worthwhile, Microsoft's Home and Entertainment division reported a loss of £122,000,000 over Christmas, despite the console selling nicely.

So, er, discuss.
Sat 25/01/03 at 22:47
Regular
Actually Nintendo make money from every GC sold, they didn't make any loses.
Sat 25/01/03 at 22:39
Regular
Shouldn't that be *When* war takes place?! With the current situation war is only being delayed as America make final tactical and political preperations but war is imminent.

As for the original post, both the GameCube and the Xbox lost huge amounts of money over Christmas despite being the better 2 consoles on the market in my opnion. However both Nintendo and Microsoft are hugely prosporous (more Microsoft than Nintendo) and they are both very popular (more Nintendo than Microsoft and I believe that this year will show (in terms of sales) what both Nintendo and Microsoft deserve.
Sat 25/01/03 at 22:37
Regular
"bWo > You"
Console_kid wrote:
> America is in a recession. My Economics teacher has told our class
> that America is climbing out of a recession....
>
> Though I expect if war does take place, America will go back into a
> recession again.

I must echo those sentiments, my good friend, for the same teacher told us the same thing, but he indeed mentioned the 'double-dip' recession, whereby a country in recession grows slightly but plunges further.

Did he also mention said info, perchance?
Sat 25/01/03 at 22:27
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
America is in a recession. My Economics teacher has told our class that America is climbing out of a recession....

Though I expect if war does take place, America will go back into a recession again.
Fri 24/01/03 at 22:09
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Console_kid wrote:
> Well considering America at the moment is just climbing out of a
> recession,

That's climbing *into* a recession, along with the rest of the world....

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 24/01/03 at 19:43
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Well considering America at the moment is just climbing out of a recession, its not surprising that MS are losing profits in some areas! A lot of companies have gone bust! £122 million isnt going to bother them that much at all!
Fri 24/01/03 at 19:27
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Well Nintendo's admitted it's own sales of the GC we're pretty crap
> over Christmas;

In Europe, sales were disappointing, but the GameCube sold quite nicely worldwide.

> So I guess we're all happy, or at least those of us who can take any
> pleasure from new of sales of plastic boxes filled with electronics...
> ho hum.

[Grins]
Fri 24/01/03 at 19:26
Regular
Nomad $oul wrote:
> On the $122 million debt

That's £112 million. It's actually $177 million, if you want to put it in US currency. Anyway, it won't be anything to Microsoft - their pockets could give home to a small family of badgers.
Fri 24/01/03 at 09:07
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Well Nintendo's admitted it's own sales of the GC we're pretty crap over Christmas;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/ technology/2687837.stm

So I guess we're all happy, or at least those of us who can take any pleasure from new of sales of plastic boxes filled with electronics... ho hum.

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 23/01/03 at 23:15
Regular
Yeah, everyone's in debt.

Makes you wonder how anything gets done

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.