GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tell me if you think this PC is worth the dosh."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/01/03 at 11:41
Regular
I always buy my PC's off this guy I know called Ray. He's really reliable and proffesional at buiding PC's. I gave him some specs for a new PC and he said he could do all of them except, he said that the Pentium4 chip and 3000mghz board costs around 400-500 alone.

So he suggested that I get a 2.4ghz PC as it's a lot cheaper and most of the games nowadays have a 600mghz minimum requirement speed. So he said that in roughly 5 years, the minimum requirement might just be up to about 2ghz. And we always change our PC's after about 5 years anyway.

The other specs are:

512MB
80GB
GeForce 4 Titanium 4200 128MB DDR graphics card with free games.
No modem as we have Broadband
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Dolby Digital sound card
Microsoft Windows XP home edition
Surround sound speakers.
And obviousley all the other programs like Word, paint and Excel.

He said he could build that for £1098

Do you think it's a good deal?

One I saw in Pc world which I was interested in had all of the above except surround sound speakers and the speed was 3.6ghz. BUT, it was by a company called Advent and I'd never heard of them.

So I asked Ray and he said the problem with Advent is that they build all of their components onto the mother board so if one goes wrong, they all go wrong where as Ray builds all of his stuff separately into it. He also creates drives C, D, E, F and G each with like 15GBs on them so again if I got a virus on one drive, wouldn't have to format the whole comp.

Oh I'm waffling on, anyway, do you think it's a good deal for £1098?

Thanks.
Tue 28/01/03 at 10:41
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac
> mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac
> mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac
> mac mac mac mac mac mac mac .
>
> Ahem

Trouble is, Macs are slow. There fastest is running at 1.25Ghz, where as you can buy a 2.8Ghz P4. and you can't run your pc software on them.
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:28
"For the horde!!!!"
yes that price is reasnable for the PC
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:45
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Mon 27/01/03 at 19:59
Regular
yea its not bad just that i can get better..... ti4400 or 4600 is loads more powerful than the 4200 ....
Audigy 2 is better.... loads of Ram etc...
Mon 27/01/03 at 19:55
"period drama"
Mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac .

Ahem
Mon 27/01/03 at 19:53
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
. . .
Well I think it's a good deal. . . even if its not, BUT it does have surround sound speakers and Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Dolby Digital sound card aswell as the Geforce4 128mb. Basically I just want it for the online and singple player games.
Mon 27/01/03 at 15:23
Regular
o.o thats where i've been trying urs must of been lower spec'd....
Mon 27/01/03 at 12:49
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
not especially a good deal.

my 2.53Ghz was £800.

check out www/novatech.com, and build a blueprint pc to the same spec. they are good there.
Mon 27/01/03 at 12:27
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I suppose Ray does your thinking for you too
Sun 26/01/03 at 22:12
*sigh*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.