GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FF does one of them have to be the best?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/01/03 at 21:29
Regular
All "this ff7 was the best" "dont be daft it was ff8" stuff is madness..... u should be able just to enjoy each game as a one off not keep comparing them. all of them have been classic games in there on right i dont think that there is a better, one ff10 has the looks but well all know that isnt everything
is there anyone else who thinks im talking sense or will this pointless rubbish go on for all eternity................???
Fri 24/01/03 at 21:29
All "this ff7 was the best" "dont be daft it was ff8" stuff is madness..... u should be able just to enjoy each game as a one off not keep comparing them. all of them have been classic games in there on right i dont think that there is a better, one ff10 has the looks but well all know that isnt everything
is there anyone else who thinks im talking sense or will this pointless rubbish go on for all eternity................???
Fri 24/01/03 at 21:39
"period drama"
You've a valid point.
I keep changing my mind as to which I think is the best, depending on what aspect of it I look at.

It's an endless debate as there's so many good things about every single one of them, you couldn't possibly come to a final decision.
Sat 25/01/03 at 11:26
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think it's more important to explain WHY you think a certain FF is the best rather than any specific overall game in the series.

For example, most FF fans will say FF7 was the best but can't explain why. That's because usually it's an overall feeling you get after having played the game right through. I think FF7 was a landmark title in that it was the first mainstream RPG to really take Europe by storm, getting a strong foothold for the RPG genre to build upon in the future.

But for me FFX was the best because it had so much depth, something which SquareSoft have brought back with force since FF7. FF7 also had other attributes; Cloud Strife was probably the most likeable hero in the series so far, whilst being typically moody (a trait shared by most of SquareSoft's leading characters) he had a history that made you care for him once you'd revealed how he became the way he was. FF7 also had a unique combat system in that you could alter it in the options settings, you could fix the Active Time Battle system (ATB) so that you could take your time over your next move, or you could set it as 'real-time', forcing you to be a little quicker on your feet. FF7 had some unique mini-games, (such as planting land mines to find treasure, Chocobo breeding and so on) something again which SquareSoft have improved upon since, especially with the card collecting game in Final Fantasy VIII, which I enjoyed personally.

All of these features which I loved so much about FF7 have been improved upon in FFX, SquareSoft have obviously been taking feedback seriously. But whilst FFX is good, it could have been even better. Imagine an FFX with the card collecting, with Chocobo breeding, with configurable battle-time options and so on. I don't think they'll be able to fit all of this into FF X-2 but you never know :)

So whilst it does seem pointless to name an overall best of the series, it's very important to highlight which particular aspects of each game are good so that SquareSoft know what to include in future games.
Sat 25/01/03 at 11:29
"period drama"
You can only hope that one day (beyond the point where Square realises the online versions are crap) that a FF puts every single good thing ever created in an FF into one, amazing game.
This is the onlt way to end the arguement - the one true game that no one can deny is the best of them all.
Sat 25/01/03 at 11:33
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Well, quite simply, unless they were all as equally as good as each other, then one of them is going to be the best. Isn't it?

I'll get me coat. There's a big lump of Brie in the pocket. It's that good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.