GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metroid - Original?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime'.
Sat 25/01/03 at 12:18
Regular
Now that the deceptively provocative title has drawn you in, I must tell you this post is not disputing how original Metroid Prime is or isn’t. It would be stupid for me to do so before playing the game. What I am going to try and do is establish why Nintendo were so hasty with the ‘First Person Adventure’ tag (as opposed to ‘First Person Shooter’) and then possibly why Metroid was brought to the third dimension in the way it was.

Well, first of all, why did Nintendo decide to label Metroid Prime a ‘First Person Adventure’ as soon as it was announce Prime would be played from a first person view? Many people *looks at strafex* assumed it would lose some of it’s puzzle solving, exploration and platforming sensibilities. Maybe it was tagged a FPA in an attempt to quell these fears. Another idea is that Nintendo simply wished to differentiate Metroid Prime from the thousand of other First Person Shooters out there.

But I believe none of these was the over riding factor. Nintendo naturally want to do well in their homeland. And First Person Shooters don’t tend to do too well in Japan. This is likely one of the reasons for Xbox not selling too well in Japan, with a FPS as it’s main ‘Killer App’. So rather than tell the world Metroid is going to be a FPS, Nintendo, using all their cunning, call it a ‘First Person Adventure’. Cunning eh?

Furthermore, was this fear of the Japanese responsible for some of the gameplay in Prime? I’d say it was probably a factor. I’m going by reviews here, but I know there is no circle strafing, something previously unthinkable in FPS. Maybe Japan was one of the reasons for this. Simplify the genre a little and people who previously disliked it may be more receptive. You also lock onto enemies. Another development which seems to be simplifying the genre.

But what about us in the West? Well, Nintendo hate us don’t they? Metroid was previously something Nintendo made that appealed to the West, with a dark, moody atmosphere, and a sci-fi style setting. Oh, and guns. But it also appealed to the Japanese, with the exploration element and puzzles. So have Nintendo upset the balance? I wouldn’t say so. The Japanese get a First Person game (Shooter or Adventure, I’m not going to argue) that they’re more likely to enjoy, and the West gets a First Person game with some much needed originality in it.

So, Metroid Prime. Original? Probably. But strange how even (probably) the most Western orientated genre around still looked to Japan for some more originality.
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:31
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Tut-tut Mav.

Indeed. I shall know better next time, than to question er-no ;D.
Mon 27/01/03 at 17:08
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Hmm... well, even if Nintendo didn't originally call Metroid a FPA, they didn't seem to do much to stop the spread of such a term... And they seem to have adopted it now anyway...
Sun 26/01/03 at 18:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Tut-tut Mav.

:)
Sun 26/01/03 at 17:06
Regular
"everyone says it"
Maverick42 wrote:
> er-no wrote:
> Its beautiful. A perfect cross genre.
>
> Have you played it yet? Or is this your er-no sense talking? :D

Erm.. go and find my topic 'Better than Secret of Mana'
Sun 26/01/03 at 16:17
Regular
er-no wrote:
> Its beautiful. A perfect cross genre.

Have you played it yet? Or is this your er-no sense talking? :D
Sun 26/01/03 at 12:27
Regular
"everyone says it"
Nintendo didn't originally label the game a First Person Adventure.

It was actually companies like IGN and gamespot who called it this at the atmosphere created within the game coupled with the exploration factors took it away from the 'shooter genre'.

Its beautiful. A perfect cross genre.
Sat 25/01/03 at 23:17
Regular
Well written Sibs, and very true. I'm especially interested to see how Metroid Prime does end up selling in Japan. Hopefully, after this, the Japanese will be a little more open minded about First Person Shooters.
Sat 25/01/03 at 12:18
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Now that the deceptively provocative title has drawn you in, I must tell you this post is not disputing how original Metroid Prime is or isn’t. It would be stupid for me to do so before playing the game. What I am going to try and do is establish why Nintendo were so hasty with the ‘First Person Adventure’ tag (as opposed to ‘First Person Shooter’) and then possibly why Metroid was brought to the third dimension in the way it was.

Well, first of all, why did Nintendo decide to label Metroid Prime a ‘First Person Adventure’ as soon as it was announce Prime would be played from a first person view? Many people *looks at strafex* assumed it would lose some of it’s puzzle solving, exploration and platforming sensibilities. Maybe it was tagged a FPA in an attempt to quell these fears. Another idea is that Nintendo simply wished to differentiate Metroid Prime from the thousand of other First Person Shooters out there.

But I believe none of these was the over riding factor. Nintendo naturally want to do well in their homeland. And First Person Shooters don’t tend to do too well in Japan. This is likely one of the reasons for Xbox not selling too well in Japan, with a FPS as it’s main ‘Killer App’. So rather than tell the world Metroid is going to be a FPS, Nintendo, using all their cunning, call it a ‘First Person Adventure’. Cunning eh?

Furthermore, was this fear of the Japanese responsible for some of the gameplay in Prime? I’d say it was probably a factor. I’m going by reviews here, but I know there is no circle strafing, something previously unthinkable in FPS. Maybe Japan was one of the reasons for this. Simplify the genre a little and people who previously disliked it may be more receptive. You also lock onto enemies. Another development which seems to be simplifying the genre.

But what about us in the West? Well, Nintendo hate us don’t they? Metroid was previously something Nintendo made that appealed to the West, with a dark, moody atmosphere, and a sci-fi style setting. Oh, and guns. But it also appealed to the Japanese, with the exploration element and puzzles. So have Nintendo upset the balance? I wouldn’t say so. The Japanese get a First Person game (Shooter or Adventure, I’m not going to argue) that they’re more likely to enjoy, and the West gets a First Person game with some much needed originality in it.

So, Metroid Prime. Original? Probably. But strange how even (probably) the most Western orientated genre around still looked to Japan for some more originality.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.