GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Am I Too Old For Nintendo?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/01/02 at 19:50
Regular
I never thought the day would come. In fact… I didn’t think there was even such a thing as ‘too old for Nintendo’. Playing Smash Brothers had always made my Dad laugh. It had always made my older brother smile, grab me by the neck playfully, and hit me on the arm for beating him. But then again, I suppose it’s a fighting game, and as such, has a lot of replay value.

But fighting games aren’t the core of what makes Nintendo so special. It’s the innovation that has bought us games like Mario, Zelda and, in the near future, PIKMIN. It’s the unique approach to the genres. To be honest, EAD’s games are the best. There is nothing like playing a Mario or Zelda game... they’re just so special... I’m sure PIKMIN will be just as good.

But what bothers me is Nintendo/EAD’s new philosophy. Shorter games are short enough for people not to lose focus, or get bored. They’re a great way to introduce non-gamers into the world of gaming. But, for the more experienced gamer, like me, who loves their games, the news of shorter games is a bad thing. Sure we’ll get longer games from Rare, EA, Sega and Capcom, but EAD’s games will still be too short for me – which, like I said, is sad... because they’re the best!

PIKMIN, to a decent gamer, will take about 7-8 hours to complete. 1 day... if you think about it. I wouldn’t spend anymore time gaming in one day than 8 hours. It’s the perfect rent-game, if you think about it. Get it on Friday evening, play it for most of Saturday, complete it on Sunday morning... mess about on it until Monday evening and take it back. Of course, I’ll buy PIKMIN because it’s a great game... and you never know what links it might have with the sequel, or even a GBA version of the game… but it’s still too short for me!

The problem, in my opinion, doesn’t lie in my age, but in my experience. I’m good at games. Maybe not compared to you lot, but in general... compared to the average ‘Joe’, I’m a good gamer. My experience has taught me all the tricks that developers play. I know which way to go, how to defeat most enemies and what to do to complete the level. I don’t think Nintendo is losing it’s touch, but why would they change the way they work... it’s perfect for their target market!

You see PIKMIN will take 20 hours for a child to complete. It’s a perfect length game. If only I was a child, and I’d lost a handful of the knowledge I have, I’d be able to play the game for 20 hours... having completed it just once! The game is thought up, designed and made for children. Which is a shame. But then again...

Old people eventually become to old to make out. It’s a shame for them. But it’s a fact. Young people can’t drive, probably a good thing in most cases. There is a time for everything, and I think maybe my time with EAD games is up. Sure, I’ll still buy a Gamecube, because there’s still Starfox, Metroid, Kameo, DKR, Wave Race, Perfect Dark, Conker and all those... Plus more! But I don’t think I’ll ever be able to play Nintendo games and be at the peace I was when I was younger.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still buy all the games, including Mario, Zelda, Luigi’s Mansion and PIKMIN, but I still think maybe I’ve been gaming too long to be able to fully appreciate the games and for them to challenge me. Sometimes you just have to let things pass. Maybe this is one of those times.

Playing PIKMIN or Luigi's Mansion and completing it will let me know. I don’t know if I could ever stop playing EAD’s games... or Nintendo games in general. I’m too experienced for Mario and Zelda, but I won’t stop. You can have too much of a good thing. But EAD games aren’t just good. They’re amazing! But EAD’s games, good as they are, are too easy for me now that I’m of the age and experience level that I am. If only I could go back in time... and not play games. Only then would I be able to play these great games the way I want to.

Not rushing through them because I can... But slowly wading through them, because I don’t have the ability to go any quicker. I want to be bad at games so EAD’s games are a challenge. Sure there are challenging games out there, games which I have access to, but they’re not Mario... they’re not Zelda... they’re not Luigi’s Mansion or PIKMIN,... these are the games I want to play and be challenged by because I love to play them!!

Sod’s Law I suppose.

But even though I'm getting better at games... EAD's games will never lose their touch - and that's why they'll always be the best. And that's why I'll always buy them... even if they take me just 1 day or 1 hour to complete!

Game
Sun 20/01/02 at 19:50
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I never thought the day would come. In fact… I didn’t think there was even such a thing as ‘too old for Nintendo’. Playing Smash Brothers had always made my Dad laugh. It had always made my older brother smile, grab me by the neck playfully, and hit me on the arm for beating him. But then again, I suppose it’s a fighting game, and as such, has a lot of replay value.

But fighting games aren’t the core of what makes Nintendo so special. It’s the innovation that has bought us games like Mario, Zelda and, in the near future, PIKMIN. It’s the unique approach to the genres. To be honest, EAD’s games are the best. There is nothing like playing a Mario or Zelda game... they’re just so special... I’m sure PIKMIN will be just as good.

But what bothers me is Nintendo/EAD’s new philosophy. Shorter games are short enough for people not to lose focus, or get bored. They’re a great way to introduce non-gamers into the world of gaming. But, for the more experienced gamer, like me, who loves their games, the news of shorter games is a bad thing. Sure we’ll get longer games from Rare, EA, Sega and Capcom, but EAD’s games will still be too short for me – which, like I said, is sad... because they’re the best!

PIKMIN, to a decent gamer, will take about 7-8 hours to complete. 1 day... if you think about it. I wouldn’t spend anymore time gaming in one day than 8 hours. It’s the perfect rent-game, if you think about it. Get it on Friday evening, play it for most of Saturday, complete it on Sunday morning... mess about on it until Monday evening and take it back. Of course, I’ll buy PIKMIN because it’s a great game... and you never know what links it might have with the sequel, or even a GBA version of the game… but it’s still too short for me!

The problem, in my opinion, doesn’t lie in my age, but in my experience. I’m good at games. Maybe not compared to you lot, but in general... compared to the average ‘Joe’, I’m a good gamer. My experience has taught me all the tricks that developers play. I know which way to go, how to defeat most enemies and what to do to complete the level. I don’t think Nintendo is losing it’s touch, but why would they change the way they work... it’s perfect for their target market!

You see PIKMIN will take 20 hours for a child to complete. It’s a perfect length game. If only I was a child, and I’d lost a handful of the knowledge I have, I’d be able to play the game for 20 hours... having completed it just once! The game is thought up, designed and made for children. Which is a shame. But then again...

Old people eventually become to old to make out. It’s a shame for them. But it’s a fact. Young people can’t drive, probably a good thing in most cases. There is a time for everything, and I think maybe my time with EAD games is up. Sure, I’ll still buy a Gamecube, because there’s still Starfox, Metroid, Kameo, DKR, Wave Race, Perfect Dark, Conker and all those... Plus more! But I don’t think I’ll ever be able to play Nintendo games and be at the peace I was when I was younger.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still buy all the games, including Mario, Zelda, Luigi’s Mansion and PIKMIN, but I still think maybe I’ve been gaming too long to be able to fully appreciate the games and for them to challenge me. Sometimes you just have to let things pass. Maybe this is one of those times.

Playing PIKMIN or Luigi's Mansion and completing it will let me know. I don’t know if I could ever stop playing EAD’s games... or Nintendo games in general. I’m too experienced for Mario and Zelda, but I won’t stop. You can have too much of a good thing. But EAD games aren’t just good. They’re amazing! But EAD’s games, good as they are, are too easy for me now that I’m of the age and experience level that I am. If only I could go back in time... and not play games. Only then would I be able to play these great games the way I want to.

Not rushing through them because I can... But slowly wading through them, because I don’t have the ability to go any quicker. I want to be bad at games so EAD’s games are a challenge. Sure there are challenging games out there, games which I have access to, but they’re not Mario... they’re not Zelda... they’re not Luigi’s Mansion or PIKMIN,... these are the games I want to play and be challenged by because I love to play them!!

Sod’s Law I suppose.

But even though I'm getting better at games... EAD's games will never lose their touch - and that's why they'll always be the best. And that's why I'll always buy them... even if they take me just 1 day or 1 hour to complete!

Game
Sun 20/01/02 at 20:43
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
It's sad, but games are getting easier and shorter. I haven't owned a PS2 game that took me more than a week to complete- just looking at my DMC counter, I've only been playing for about four hours, and it's almost finnished!

Often you get people saying you are paying £40 for a game that lasts 20 hours- making is a very efficient form of entertainment... but now things are looking far more glum.

And you know things are going bad when Nintendo make their games shorter! They're Nintendo- they're meant to push games forwards, not steal ideas like Cell Shading and shorter gameplay!

Sonic
Sun 20/01/02 at 20:57
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
The Game wrote:
> It had always made my older brother smile, grab me by the neck playfully,
> and hit me on the arm for beating him.

LOL i know that feeling.
Sun 20/01/02 at 21:19
Regular
I've heard that although Nintendo are focused on knocking out mini games such as Pikmin, they have bigger dedicated teams to the major franchises with bigger titles.

Now I have a better understanding of the policy, it's actually well thought out.

Nintendo know that Zelda, Mario, Mario kart, etc
have a big following, and have high expectations.
Because big sales are almost garuanteed, they find it worthwhile to spend more resources into these games.

However, new quirky ideas are not so sure to sell.
So Nintendo don't want to spend ages making a huge game that gets ignored.
I think that these mini games are created for the casuals to test. If the game is praised then Nintendo expand it into a proper game.

I think that's how it works. So hopefully, we don't have to worry about a 5 hour Zelda or Mario game.

If this is the true process then I think it's a great idea.
It means that Nintendo can try out lots of new ideas and check that they work before commiting heavily to them.

It would be nice if those trial versions (which normally only have 6 months into them) was priced at the more reasonable 30 quid rather than the full 50.
Then I'd seriously consider buying the likes of Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion.

As it is I'm more likely to simply rent them rather than buy them.

Short and sweet games (like Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, DMC and MGS2):

"Must-play"'s, not "Must-have"'s!
Sun 20/01/02 at 23:59
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I hope you're right, Strafex!

I sit here, with a cup of coffee in my hand, and a virtual desktop dancer-girl on my screen wondering why the hell the cat is sitting on my shoulders... probably because it's cold... and i'm hot... at least that's what the dancer girl says.

But back to the topic.

Nintendo knows the gaming industry... they're smarter than a dozen Italians wearing Versace... And with Miyamoto at the helm of the HMS Gamecube, things are sure to turn out for the better.

But regardless of length, I still think the Nintendo franchises will be too easy this time around. I mean I have to admit, I had some trouble on the last few worlds of Mario 64... especially that damn stupid tick-tock-clock lark, but i've played load of games since then!

Anyway, nobody knows what's going on... maybe there'll be some harder games. I mean Metorid was always going to be good.

Maybe i'm looking into things too much...
Mon 21/01/02 at 08:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'm experiencing a similar thing with Dropship ATM. It's a really, really fantastic game, and I'm playing it all the time, but I fear I'll have it completed by tonight. Apparently there are 20 missions and I'm on 17 already. I'm questioning how good the game is if I finished it this early.
Mon 21/01/02 at 09:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
The Game wrote:
But regardless of length, I still think the Nintendo
> franchises will be too easy this time around. I mean I have to admit, I had some
> trouble on the last few worlds of Mario 64... especially that damn stupid
> tick-tock-clock lark, but i've played load of games since then!

That level was a real beggar, it takes yonks to collect 100 coins.
Mon 21/01/02 at 09:34
Regular
"not dead"
I really don't think that Mario Sunshine and Zelda will be any less epic than previous versions of the game.

Even the original Zelda took an age to complete, and I don't see how they could make it any shorter, given the nature of the game.

Luigi's Mansion is different. I think that it was a technical demo that wouldn't go away, so it got turned into a game. I see Luigi's Mansion as the game that shows off the Gamecube's controller. Look at the way you play the game. As such, it should really have come with the Gamecube, but hey, those days are gone.

I can't help but think that Pikmin is short because of a lack of planning. I think it was an idea of Miyamoto's, and it was seen as something innovative that could be released at launch, or shortly after. Why else would there be word of a sequel already? Because only now has Miyamoto seen it's full potential. That's not to say that it won't be a great game, it's just not developed into a huge game like it could have done.
Mon 21/01/02 at 11:28
Regular
Or Nintendo released it to test peoples reaction to the concept and because they liked it, the idea is being expanded and properly explored.

I think (and hope) I was right. I got the info from Cube magazine.
NGC actually wants Zelda to be short! What are they on?!?
Mon 21/01/02 at 19:36
Regular
"Back For Good"
Strafex wrote:
I think (and
> hope) I was right. I got the info from Cube magazine.
NGC actually wants Zelda
> to be short! What are they on?!?

Not really an answer to your question but Cube magazine is garbage, The reviews are written in an easy to understand baby language with a text size to follow and as for the video haha it's corny as owt, 20 minutes of the worst quality I've seen and I've owned a betamax vcr!!!!!! The magazine talks more about other formats than it does about the actual gamecube, i think 20+ times they mentioned the PS2 and Shelly Friend had a right go at it, lol

They better improve 8=D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.