GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Primal"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Primal'.
Sun 26/01/03 at 21:53
Regular
Hmm, havnt been around for a while. Have you missed me?......Anyone?...At all?........................sniff.....Ill get to the point shall I

As usual, I went out to buy the latest issue of Official PS2 Mag from the newsagents (at least I know who sells it round here now). When I got home, I was eager to to play Mortal Kombat:DA to see whether it was as good as I remember it from the Playstation Experience. After playing it for a while, I turned my attention to the next game on the list-Primal. I heard many positive things about the game, but nothing in particular. My knowledge of it extended to the lead characters, and their demonic abilities.

The first thing that stroke me were the voices of the characters-I expected them to be different-"darker" more mysterious voices. But they turned out to be quite pleasing on the ear. And then I noticed the graphics.Yes, this is one of the few games that I looked at and said "Wow, that does look GOOD". I expect to see good graphics on the machine that has been around for over 2 years, but at the moment nothing (apart from the obvious exceptions-MGS2 etc) really makes me admire the graphics. But this looked promising-nice smooth textures and great shadows. The game is VERY dark but it still manages to look good.

The fights are a bit unusual at first-you mostly use L2, R2 and L1 to combine your attacks and it isnt that easy to hit your enemy. But the game handles them well, and the monsters did make me jump a couple of times.

The main character's ability to morph into various forms and use demonic powers is very handy as it allows you to use better attacks, run faster etc.

But one of the things that does stand out is your sidekick Scree. He is the guys who gathers energy, special powers and as I gathered can "power" you up and heal you etc.He also can climb stone walls and reach places which the girl (cant remember her name) cannot. You can have direct control of either character by pressing SELECT-fortunately the other character follows you instead of stupidly standing there.

If you know me well enough, you may know that I am not the greatest fan of Action/Adventure games because of their relative repetitivness and length. I like playing them, but dont like paying my money for them.But I must say, I rather enjoyed Primal.It flows well, has brilliant graphics and has a very good gothic atmosphere. Music is nice, the dialogue is good-the characters have pops at each other and you dont feel as if it interferes with the game.So, yes, I may be tempted to buy it, because of the way the game handles itself It got an 8/10 in the magazine and after enjoying a lengthy demo I might be tempted to come for more. Give it a go if you can-you might be impressed
Mon 27/01/03 at 13:47
"For the horde!!!!"
This game looks good and is released about the same time as tomb raider: angel of darkness. I bought PSM2 feb issue and there is some footage of it running on the DVD and it looks good, just hope it's not a disappointment.
Mon 27/01/03 at 10:43
"griever"
in opsm2 they asked the designer about making her boobs jiggle
he said he made them realistic what did he do go around measuring and testing peoples boobs
Sun 26/01/03 at 22:51
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I was impressed up until the demo locked as I was switching characters.

Jen also got a bit repetitive with the way she said:
"Locked"
"Locked"
"Locked"
"Locked"

I won't go on, but it grated. I thought the movement was a bit wooden in a 'try to position Lara in the EXACT spot for her next jump' kind of way.

The combat was too repetitive for my liking to be honest, all it really needed was a few Devil May Cry combos to spice things up and then yes, you've got a great game there.

I think the developers saw my rant on the official website forums, because the game has now been put back to April whilst they sort out a few bits and bobs. Which is the same time Tomb Raider: AOD comes out.

It's one of those games that's either going to be a number 1 contender for best action/adventure out there, or it's going to flop, badly. As a side note, it makes you wonder what version of the game the reviewer was playing when they gave it an 8/10, doesn't it?
Sun 26/01/03 at 21:53
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Hmm, havnt been around for a while. Have you missed me?......Anyone?...At all?........................sniff.....Ill get to the point shall I

As usual, I went out to buy the latest issue of Official PS2 Mag from the newsagents (at least I know who sells it round here now). When I got home, I was eager to to play Mortal Kombat:DA to see whether it was as good as I remember it from the Playstation Experience. After playing it for a while, I turned my attention to the next game on the list-Primal. I heard many positive things about the game, but nothing in particular. My knowledge of it extended to the lead characters, and their demonic abilities.

The first thing that stroke me were the voices of the characters-I expected them to be different-"darker" more mysterious voices. But they turned out to be quite pleasing on the ear. And then I noticed the graphics.Yes, this is one of the few games that I looked at and said "Wow, that does look GOOD". I expect to see good graphics on the machine that has been around for over 2 years, but at the moment nothing (apart from the obvious exceptions-MGS2 etc) really makes me admire the graphics. But this looked promising-nice smooth textures and great shadows. The game is VERY dark but it still manages to look good.

The fights are a bit unusual at first-you mostly use L2, R2 and L1 to combine your attacks and it isnt that easy to hit your enemy. But the game handles them well, and the monsters did make me jump a couple of times.

The main character's ability to morph into various forms and use demonic powers is very handy as it allows you to use better attacks, run faster etc.

But one of the things that does stand out is your sidekick Scree. He is the guys who gathers energy, special powers and as I gathered can "power" you up and heal you etc.He also can climb stone walls and reach places which the girl (cant remember her name) cannot. You can have direct control of either character by pressing SELECT-fortunately the other character follows you instead of stupidly standing there.

If you know me well enough, you may know that I am not the greatest fan of Action/Adventure games because of their relative repetitivness and length. I like playing them, but dont like paying my money for them.But I must say, I rather enjoyed Primal.It flows well, has brilliant graphics and has a very good gothic atmosphere. Music is nice, the dialogue is good-the characters have pops at each other and you dont feel as if it interferes with the game.So, yes, I may be tempted to buy it, because of the way the game handles itself It got an 8/10 in the magazine and after enjoying a lengthy demo I might be tempted to come for more. Give it a go if you can-you might be impressed

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.