GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Black Hawk Down. Not sure whether to see it? Check this out for help."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/01/02 at 17:42
Regular
I saw Black Hawk down last night (friday) and let me tell you, war films don't come much more action packed than this masterpeice directed by Ridley Scott who also directed The Matrix and other films. Based on a real event, Black Hawk Down is about a group of Delta Force Rangers sent on a mission in Somalia to capture an evil man (I can't remember who) and he's starving all the civilians of food and killing any who try to take it back. The mission was only supposed to take 30 mins but it all goes wrong when a Black Hawk helicopter gets shot down. This triggers many events causing the mission plan to get messed up leaving the group of about 30 rangers stranded with about 5000 arabs armed with Ak47's and RPG launchers. I'll stop there. Black Hawk down has a guaranteed 2 hours action and half and hour leading up to the mission. The only bad point about the film is that it's all about one mission set in the same location all the way through. This film is also not for the feint hearted. This one guy gets shot in the back of the leg and it cuts his main artery so the medic and a soldier have to hold the wound open and find the vein in his leg. Another guy is shot by a rocket launcher through the side of a truck and it gets lodged in his stomach and points out the other side. Trust me, if you like Saving Private Ryan you'll love this.
Sat 19/01/02 at 17:42
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
I saw Black Hawk down last night (friday) and let me tell you, war films don't come much more action packed than this masterpeice directed by Ridley Scott who also directed The Matrix and other films. Based on a real event, Black Hawk Down is about a group of Delta Force Rangers sent on a mission in Somalia to capture an evil man (I can't remember who) and he's starving all the civilians of food and killing any who try to take it back. The mission was only supposed to take 30 mins but it all goes wrong when a Black Hawk helicopter gets shot down. This triggers many events causing the mission plan to get messed up leaving the group of about 30 rangers stranded with about 5000 arabs armed with Ak47's and RPG launchers. I'll stop there. Black Hawk down has a guaranteed 2 hours action and half and hour leading up to the mission. The only bad point about the film is that it's all about one mission set in the same location all the way through. This film is also not for the feint hearted. This one guy gets shot in the back of the leg and it cuts his main artery so the medic and a soldier have to hold the wound open and find the vein in his leg. Another guy is shot by a rocket launcher through the side of a truck and it gets lodged in his stomach and points out the other side. Trust me, if you like Saving Private Ryan you'll love this.
Sat 19/01/02 at 17:46
Regular
"That's right!"
"Ridley Scott who also directed The Matrix"

Um, I'll let other people complain about what you just said
Sat 19/01/02 at 17:47
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Oh pants, I can't believe i just said that.
Sat 19/01/02 at 17:49
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
I meant to say Alien.
Sat 19/01/02 at 17:56
Regular
"That's right!"
Alrighty then. You could've also mentioned that he did Gladiator, unless you already did and I missed it
Sat 19/01/02 at 21:59
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
You could have also mentioned he did Hannibal and Blade Runner. Oh and how could I forget the masterpiece that is.....

LEGEND!

And that guy's name was Aidid I believe. Or something along those lines anyway.

Mohamod something Aidid.
Sat 19/01/02 at 22:23
Regular
"I like cheese"
What?!? Black Hawk Down is an awful movie!!

They based it too much on the true events, which meant the whole thing was just a lot of shooting!

It showed signs of promise. Such as when the prisoner and the Somalian guy talked for a bit, but we never saw them again.

No time spent on character development, no decent baddies, and after an hour it just got dull.
Sun 20/01/02 at 15:14
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Well thats your opinion, not mine
Sun 20/01/02 at 20:15
Regular
"That's right!"
I've already downloaded it, I just haven't watched it yet. I know it'll be better on the big screen so I reckon I'll go and see it first
Sun 20/01/02 at 21:58
Ant wrote:
> What?!? Black Hawk Down is an awful movie!!

They based it too much on the
> true events, which meant the whole thing was just a lot of shooting!

!!! The whole point of the movie is to show the heroism of the soldiers involved so obviously it needs to stick to the true story. Read the book, that preceded the film by 4 years, and you'll see its about shooting and what happens amidst the shooting. Black Hawk Down is about as faithful as any movie gets to the true story, with a few obvious exceptions. This is a war film, and shootings the main thing in a war film. The prisoner bit is okay, but in the book its only briefly reflected on as there was very little moe than was shown - the american was the enemy to the Somalian guy and didnt talk to him about anything much. Another point of them making the film was so that people would go buy the book, or find out more, and see the whole story behind it, because the book uses far more material from the few Somali's who survived and would actualy talk to the journalist involved in the book, Mark Bowden.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.