GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Elite 4"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/01/02 at 15:25
Regular
Being a big fan of the Elite series I am, like many others, anxiously looking forward to the new Elite game, provisionally titled 'Elite 4', confirmed by David Braben to be in development (out on the shelves only God knows when ;)

Braben already stated that there will be two different versions of the forthcoming Elite game released - single and multiplayer. A *specific* multiplayer release hints to me that the game will be massively multiplayer such as Ultima Online.

If the above is true it would, of course, be a godsend. Imagine the Elite world that is in part living and breathing with thousands of other players trading and fighting their way against or alongside you. We all know how rich and boundless the Elite world is even in singleplayer so the thrill of a multiplayer persistent world, where what you do has real effects on other people, is unimaginable.

Of course, Braben, like every other developer of massively multiplayer games at the moment, is extremely tight-lipped on details - which for us is unfortunate. and Braben does have strong competition from other space-based massively multiplayer titles such as Eve (www.eve-online.com) and Earth and Beyond. Both will be released months before his product allowing them quite a headstart in building a user-base so he is wise to keep any special secrets to himself.

There's not much to go on right now, no matter where and how hard you look, but I did, however, email Frontier Developments (www.frontier.co.uk) recently and i got a reply saying a big announcement was in store for us Elite fans this spring. Can't Wait.
Sat 19/01/02 at 15:25
Regular
Being a big fan of the Elite series I am, like many others, anxiously looking forward to the new Elite game, provisionally titled 'Elite 4', confirmed by David Braben to be in development (out on the shelves only God knows when ;)

Braben already stated that there will be two different versions of the forthcoming Elite game released - single and multiplayer. A *specific* multiplayer release hints to me that the game will be massively multiplayer such as Ultima Online.

If the above is true it would, of course, be a godsend. Imagine the Elite world that is in part living and breathing with thousands of other players trading and fighting their way against or alongside you. We all know how rich and boundless the Elite world is even in singleplayer so the thrill of a multiplayer persistent world, where what you do has real effects on other people, is unimaginable.

Of course, Braben, like every other developer of massively multiplayer games at the moment, is extremely tight-lipped on details - which for us is unfortunate. and Braben does have strong competition from other space-based massively multiplayer titles such as Eve (www.eve-online.com) and Earth and Beyond. Both will be released months before his product allowing them quite a headstart in building a user-base so he is wise to keep any special secrets to himself.

There's not much to go on right now, no matter where and how hard you look, but I did, however, email Frontier Developments (www.frontier.co.uk) recently and i got a reply saying a big announcement was in store for us Elite fans this spring. Can't Wait.
Sat 19/01/02 at 16:37
I enjoyed playing the elite games but there was so much time wasted of not doing anything. You would set off from the planet or space port, use your hyperdrive thingy come out somewhere else then just slowly fly to the next port. Now this long journey was only broken up now and then by dog fights which were pretty intresting with the local pirates. I hope for this new version it doesn't take so long to get places.
Sat 19/01/02 at 16:44
Regular
although it may seem like "time wasted" i do think the interval required to travel from one place to another captured the vastness and emptiness that is space. without it the Elite games would not have had the sense of boundlessness and freedom that they did.
Sat 19/01/02 at 16:46
Regular
The original Elite's supposedly coming out on the GBA.
Sat 19/01/02 at 16:49
Regular
it is indeed. and what's more, Braben is involved in the project.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.