GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I done saw Pearl Harbor"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/01/02 at 14:09
Regular
I did a bad thing. I decided to actually watch Pearl Harbor on DVD, just to see what it was like. Want to know what my shocking finds were? It wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be - why? Because I expected it to be the worst film I'd ever seen and although it came close, I've seen far worse.

Admittedly the bits before the explosions and the bits after the explosions are absolute garbage, but they're so bad it's almost funny. A friend and I cringed every time one of the characters spoke a cheesy line, something like 'You're my best friend', or 'Get me to a goddamn plane'. Ben Affleck continues to baffle me - how he can appear in quality Kevin Smith flicks then appear in poo like this is quite beyond me. Josh Hartnett has a face I'd love to cave in and that Beckinsale woman is one of the all time screen ho's - she goes back and forth like a wartime yoyo from one man to the other.

Anyway, the important stuff was the massive explosions, and while it was quite difficult to enjoy something that actually happened, it was certainly eye candy of the highest order. In fact, I sat agog for about 20 minutes while the whole thing happened. Bottom line, I can watch bad films quite happily because I don't have high expectations of them - it makes it much easier.

Anyway, Pearl Harbor - explosions perdy, acting terrible, overall experience, a not too unpleasant one. It's all about Americans being great in the end, and if that's your thing then great.
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:09
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I did a bad thing. I decided to actually watch Pearl Harbor on DVD, just to see what it was like. Want to know what my shocking finds were? It wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be - why? Because I expected it to be the worst film I'd ever seen and although it came close, I've seen far worse.

Admittedly the bits before the explosions and the bits after the explosions are absolute garbage, but they're so bad it's almost funny. A friend and I cringed every time one of the characters spoke a cheesy line, something like 'You're my best friend', or 'Get me to a goddamn plane'. Ben Affleck continues to baffle me - how he can appear in quality Kevin Smith flicks then appear in poo like this is quite beyond me. Josh Hartnett has a face I'd love to cave in and that Beckinsale woman is one of the all time screen ho's - she goes back and forth like a wartime yoyo from one man to the other.

Anyway, the important stuff was the massive explosions, and while it was quite difficult to enjoy something that actually happened, it was certainly eye candy of the highest order. In fact, I sat agog for about 20 minutes while the whole thing happened. Bottom line, I can watch bad films quite happily because I don't have high expectations of them - it makes it much easier.

Anyway, Pearl Harbor - explosions perdy, acting terrible, overall experience, a not too unpleasant one. It's all about Americans being great in the end, and if that's your thing then great.
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:47
Regular
Mr. Snuggly, this is nit a complaint, but why did Salevaa get banned. And if you do get banned, can you come back and if so how long are you banned for?
Sat 19/01/02 at 15:03
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Why do you speak like Occifer Crabtree?
Sat 19/01/02 at 16:50
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Snuggly, you are on very, very dangerous ground finding redeemable qualities in Pearl Harbour, but you're right the explosions are pretty, which is why they took all dialogue out of the TV trailer and replaced it with more explosions. Have you seen the reviews of Pearl Harbour on SR's database though, I quote:

"the film isn't effects driven, with full characters and great performances. Although not as romantic as Titanic, is still serves as a great storyline."

"The acting was dead-on throughout the entire film, and the effects and story were perfect."

hmmmm.....
Sat 19/01/02 at 17:51
Regular
"That's right!"
I actually really liked Pearl Harbour

None of the lines seemed un-realistic, though I did laugh a little at "Get me into a God damn plane!"

Although it was never clear who to root for. In Titanic you had Jack and Cal, good guy and bad guy. In 'Harbour you have Rafe and Danny... both just a couple of normal guys, well, more or less
Sat 19/01/02 at 20:45
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
It's all about Americans being great in the end, and if that's your thing then great.

Errrmm.....what? Excuse me but that is not great. If that is your thing and you're not American then you should be shot! That's just wrong! :-D
Sun 20/01/02 at 08:01
Regular
"Guess who..."
*clears his throat* I do believe it as a fact that Americans are great!! Are you insulting my personal American greatness?
Sun 20/01/02 at 08:03
Regular
"Guess who..."
You have no right to shoot me for that, I am an American.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.