GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Moods"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/01/03 at 18:32
Regular
You all know the feeling. Whether it is the chills you get walking down a spooky corridor or the giddy thrill from watching people use your creations, everyone’s felt it. One way or another, mood affects just about all pc games.

If you think about it, “mood” is really a new development in gaming. I know it’s not really a “thing” but stay “with me”. What does it take to provide excellent mood? A mix of nice graphics, a good story, and complementing sound, of course. As we have already covered this, you know that each of these things has developed only recently. So, obviously mood wouldn’t be relevant in old games. Or would it?

Imagine yourself a number of years ago. Think old games. Think Simon Says. I know, a primitive non-pc example, but the same fact remains. Everyone remembers Simon Says, right? The little hand-held where you press the buttons that glow in the order they blink. Yeah, it’s coming back now. No story, no graphics, and very limited sound. So how can this be? It was the fast-paced “game play”, for lack of a better word. By providing more or less a game that a lot of people could relate to by keeping it simple, yet challenging, it kept people buying batteries.

Let’s get back to PC games. Though you may not wish to spend $40+ on a
Simon Says computer game, it just shows how much times have changed. It takes more to please today’s audience, so you, as the gamer, must expect more. And deliver more they will. First thing you look for in a game is inevitably graphics and story. Whether you realize it or not, it’s the music and the mood that keep you coming back for more. The following games are those that score highly overall in all the other lists. It would be simple deduction, then, that each game should be located somewhere on the other lists. IF we did this right…

5) Hitman – Here we have a pretty good example of mood having an effect on the game. Though at times frustrating, the overall nature of the game was different. I would find myself at times almost to the point of nervous exhaustion trying to figure out different ways of eliminating the target.

4) Command and Conquer: Renegade – Definitely a prime example where graphics complemented story. From crashing onto beaches and cities to explosions and shootouts, this game from a soldier’s point of view is very much to the liking of me, and many others. Although some people may simply like it for having to do with the C&C games, I believe that the sound and amazing graphics provide a great mood. Besides the fact that the game tends to run poorly on non-top-of-the-line computers, it’s pretty good.

3) Roller Coaster Tycoon – What would you say about it? Cartoony graphics? Optional maliciousness? Creating works of art? All the above apply towards the unique parts of this game that made it an overnight success. No story, but none is needed with a repetitive value and challenge that comes in such a pretty package. Refer to Simon Says above.

2) Half Life – Story. A big story. Graphics helped too, but they are becoming more and more out of date. With a story big enough to branch off into 3 other games, this game that had, in my opinion, the best mood of any pc game. That was until…

1) Max Payne – The epitome of mood. Mixing graphics, sounds, and story, this game should be the standard for modern day spookiness. Revolutionizing the creepiness of Half Life, Max Payne did everything Sierra did, but with less story. Using shadows and sounds, this life-like action-drama game put you in a modern day detective novel. You can’t get any more…umm…moodier than that.

Mood tends to be overlooked nowadays, and seemingly forgotten about. Just about every award given out to any of these games will mention either the way they felt while playing or the way the graphics and story tied in together. This is mood, people. The fact is that it does make a difference, hopefully for the better. Think Simon Says. Or worse yet, Operation. I hated that game.
Mon 27/01/03 at 18:32
You all know the feeling. Whether it is the chills you get walking down a spooky corridor or the giddy thrill from watching people use your creations, everyone’s felt it. One way or another, mood affects just about all pc games.

If you think about it, “mood” is really a new development in gaming. I know it’s not really a “thing” but stay “with me”. What does it take to provide excellent mood? A mix of nice graphics, a good story, and complementing sound, of course. As we have already covered this, you know that each of these things has developed only recently. So, obviously mood wouldn’t be relevant in old games. Or would it?

Imagine yourself a number of years ago. Think old games. Think Simon Says. I know, a primitive non-pc example, but the same fact remains. Everyone remembers Simon Says, right? The little hand-held where you press the buttons that glow in the order they blink. Yeah, it’s coming back now. No story, no graphics, and very limited sound. So how can this be? It was the fast-paced “game play”, for lack of a better word. By providing more or less a game that a lot of people could relate to by keeping it simple, yet challenging, it kept people buying batteries.

Let’s get back to PC games. Though you may not wish to spend $40+ on a
Simon Says computer game, it just shows how much times have changed. It takes more to please today’s audience, so you, as the gamer, must expect more. And deliver more they will. First thing you look for in a game is inevitably graphics and story. Whether you realize it or not, it’s the music and the mood that keep you coming back for more. The following games are those that score highly overall in all the other lists. It would be simple deduction, then, that each game should be located somewhere on the other lists. IF we did this right…

5) Hitman – Here we have a pretty good example of mood having an effect on the game. Though at times frustrating, the overall nature of the game was different. I would find myself at times almost to the point of nervous exhaustion trying to figure out different ways of eliminating the target.

4) Command and Conquer: Renegade – Definitely a prime example where graphics complemented story. From crashing onto beaches and cities to explosions and shootouts, this game from a soldier’s point of view is very much to the liking of me, and many others. Although some people may simply like it for having to do with the C&C games, I believe that the sound and amazing graphics provide a great mood. Besides the fact that the game tends to run poorly on non-top-of-the-line computers, it’s pretty good.

3) Roller Coaster Tycoon – What would you say about it? Cartoony graphics? Optional maliciousness? Creating works of art? All the above apply towards the unique parts of this game that made it an overnight success. No story, but none is needed with a repetitive value and challenge that comes in such a pretty package. Refer to Simon Says above.

2) Half Life – Story. A big story. Graphics helped too, but they are becoming more and more out of date. With a story big enough to branch off into 3 other games, this game that had, in my opinion, the best mood of any pc game. That was until…

1) Max Payne – The epitome of mood. Mixing graphics, sounds, and story, this game should be the standard for modern day spookiness. Revolutionizing the creepiness of Half Life, Max Payne did everything Sierra did, but with less story. Using shadows and sounds, this life-like action-drama game put you in a modern day detective novel. You can’t get any more…umm…moodier than that.

Mood tends to be overlooked nowadays, and seemingly forgotten about. Just about every award given out to any of these games will mention either the way they felt while playing or the way the graphics and story tied in together. This is mood, people. The fact is that it does make a difference, hopefully for the better. Think Simon Says. Or worse yet, Operation. I hated that game.
Mon 24/02/03 at 06:42
Regular
"Suck it baby, yeah!"
I agree completely. I would say that the moodiest games I have played are:
Halflife: a great atmosphere, not very scary though.
Deus Ex: Not sure who to trust, and the suspense!
Mafia: The whole gangster atmosphere, big cars, small guns, black coats...
Unreal: The 'Alien World' mood is done very well.
C&C Renegade: Everything previously said
Max payne: I agree totally. Great fugitive mood
Heavy Metal: The village levels have a very friendly mood to them
Mon 24/02/03 at 10:16
"For the horde!!!!"
I didn't really get any moods out of Half life to me it was shot trooper get crowbar out and kill mutant etc..
Deus ex on the other hand really aborbed me with the plot and by useing different tactics to progress it's great.
At the moment the game i'm geting into is Morrowind with it's beautiful enviroments that don't suffer from the same layout every few matres and the feeling of exploration is great.

ps. that wasn't a plug :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.