GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BMX XXXK off!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'BMX XXX'.
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:50
Regular
I hate BMX XXX.

If the rather poor and abusive title didn’t convey that point from the start. I hate it not only for the fact that it is a bad game because it is, it is yet another shoddy attempt at an extreme sports game, but I hate it for the underlying damage Acclaim have created for the game industry. Because what did Acclaim believe would be the best way to sell a shoddy BMX title? By being controversial.

I just want to have a mass burning of all BMX XXX titles produced, and we can all pray the world will never hear of the game that appears to be designed by a bunch of spotty 14 year olds who find sex a concept to be laughed at as opposed to be taken seriously. And we’ll never know about how it was programmed by a group of 3-year-old dyslexic monkeys. The game reminds me very much of my dear friend Fran, the girl would place her hand on my leg, put the other hand around my neck, sit beside me, rest her head on my shoulder and say “Chris can I borrow 20p?” The difference being the game is asking for £40 and Fran happens to be a good girl and this game is far from good. But this isn’t a review, if it was it would be in the review section and I hardly plan to give it the dignity of a review. This is a post about how this game represents a pathetic slice of gaming that has the potential to set the industry back years.

Right let’s get this straight the game is naff… Acclaim produced a nice little game with Aggressive Inline but this latest extreme sports game is very poor. Especially when compared with the competition namely Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 (an excellent game that doesn’t resort to vulgar jokes and nudity), yet BMX XXX is further proof that bad publicity is good publicity. Getting the game banned in shops means it gets news coverage, parents moaning about it means it gets news coverage… Acclaim created a game that so many people know about not because it’s a decent game but because you can play as a naked woman. On the surface this looks like a good plan but from a geographer’s point of view concentrating on what you’re doing has a knock on effect elsewhere. For those that don’t know, Honduras in central America is the latest country to ban violent computer games, this bill will come into effect in June and Resident Evil, Turok Evolution, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Perfect Dark is being kicked out of the country. Yet computer games, in most countries at least, remain unnoticed as a serious problem.

Films are banned all the time all over the world, games are not and for you and me this is a good thing. Yet with GTA and in particular this piece of crap drawing the attentions of Government funded organisations, restrictions are becoming tighter. The recent warning system for games in Britain is relatively slack compared to the heavy restrictions places like Honduras are suffering and games like BMX XXX are the reason things like this are happening. Resident Evil is a scary game, violence is particularly graphic not necessarily in order to sell games but to create fear in the player, and the violence is there to threaten the gamer. BMX XXX does not need to have naked character cavorting about, why not put the money into creating a good game with fresh ideas Acclaim? GTA 3 and Vice City uses excessive violence, it is part of the experience, but does it need to be in such large quantities that it draws attention of the game hating newspapers? It means games like Resident Evil, a game that gets away with what it does, could get banned simply because Acclaim and Rockstar want to create a stir.

Another reason why I hate BMX XXX is that the idea of gaming being a hobby for all genders has been set back god knows how long. Whilst more developers are trying to incorporate the female gamer into their design concepts this game sticks two fingers up at the idea and gives further reason why this is a male dominated segment of the media. Just grrrr! Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball is about to do the same, the head designer has made it perfectly clear that the game concentrates on the graphical splendor of the Dead or Alive girls, except the difference here is that knowing Techmo’s reputation the game will probably be rather good.

So there we are a game, not a good game at that. Drawing unwanted attention from the newspapers and putting off many female gamers. There we are. Rant over.

I hate BMX XXX.

Dringo.
Wed 29/01/03 at 19:52
Bonafide wrote:
> I wouldn't have bought this game anyway. Prefer Matt Hoffman 2.
>
> I never did get my kicks from computerised nudity, as such.

Apparently it's not computer nudity, it's videos of strippers. Not that I would know. Ahem.
Wed 29/01/03 at 10:39
"Darkness, always"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Sex is funny though.

Usually only if one or the other isn't any good, and even then it's mostly only funny behind that persons back.

To your face it's "OK".
Wed 29/01/03 at 00:19
Regular
Possum in a bottle wrote:
> Dringo, I really thought that title was clever. Did you think of it
> all by yourself?

No I asked my mummy for help...

I was going to call it 'BMX XXXked' but I didn't think it made much sense.
Tue 28/01/03 at 17:27
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Haha, great philosophy Meka Dragon!

You've got a point there!
Tue 28/01/03 at 17:15
Regular
"not dead"
Nothing wrong with nudity in games though.

Crap games with breasts are still better than crap games without.

If the games good, and there are breasts, that would be progress.
Tue 28/01/03 at 13:31
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
Nice ranting you got there dude. BMX XXX can't be that bad though. I've never played it so wouldn't know.
Tue 28/01/03 at 13:24
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Dringo, I really thought that title was clever. Did you think of it all by yourself? U should win a GAD just for the title.
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:37
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> who find sex a concept
> to be laughed at as opposed to be taken seriously.
>
> Sex is funny though.

It's a good laugh, i'll give you that ;).
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:32
Regular
Dringo wrote:
who find sex a concept
> to be laughed at as opposed to be taken seriously.

Sex is funny though.
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:31
Regular
"Buy yourselves a **** mag and a copy of Matt Hoffman 2 you pimple faced maggots"

That should have been the slogan for BMX XXX.

Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball is just damn embarassing.

I want a free pen though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.