GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The problem with speculation..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/09/00 at 00:12
Regular
Lets be honest, even those of us who understand what the stats mean know that it's got to a point where any differences don't matter all that much.
I mean, it's not exactly in the league of comparing 8 bits of NES to 16 of Mega drive in the pre-SNES days, right?

So what are we left with to compare the Gamecube to the PS2 when we speculate over their futures?
Games? No, too soon.

One thing, and you've all seen it, the centre of everyone's argument every time.

Looks.

Yes, the PS2 'ain't going to win any awards, and the gamecube will take some getting used to, to say the least.

But it doesn't make for much of an argument, does it?
"The game cube will fail and nintendo will go bankrupt because the thing's a funny shape" I don't think so.

Where does that leave us? With some people who dare like a different company's work to the path we follow, and no way to put them down but to hide behind mocking their shape, colour and 80's VCR-like qualities.

The point? I'm not sure any more. I know there was quite a good one to start with, but it's late and I've forgotten it.
Ah well, it was probably something like either,
"Everyone shut up for 2 years"
or
"Just be honest and say you think Sony/Nintendo will fail because you want that to happen, and you're very spoilt because your parents always get you what you want (ie, £300 games machines, so you're used to getting your own way and don't expect it to be any different with the global reception of the offerings of multi-million dollar corporations"
whichever it was, I'm sure none of you will pay much attention in terms of your outpourings, so it was quite pointless writing this, but since it's just about finished I may as well post it.
Mon 11/09/00 at 00:12
Regular
"Under the Wall"
Lets be honest, even those of us who understand what the stats mean know that it's got to a point where any differences don't matter all that much.
I mean, it's not exactly in the league of comparing 8 bits of NES to 16 of Mega drive in the pre-SNES days, right?

So what are we left with to compare the Gamecube to the PS2 when we speculate over their futures?
Games? No, too soon.

One thing, and you've all seen it, the centre of everyone's argument every time.

Looks.

Yes, the PS2 'ain't going to win any awards, and the gamecube will take some getting used to, to say the least.

But it doesn't make for much of an argument, does it?
"The game cube will fail and nintendo will go bankrupt because the thing's a funny shape" I don't think so.

Where does that leave us? With some people who dare like a different company's work to the path we follow, and no way to put them down but to hide behind mocking their shape, colour and 80's VCR-like qualities.

The point? I'm not sure any more. I know there was quite a good one to start with, but it's late and I've forgotten it.
Ah well, it was probably something like either,
"Everyone shut up for 2 years"
or
"Just be honest and say you think Sony/Nintendo will fail because you want that to happen, and you're very spoilt because your parents always get you what you want (ie, £300 games machines, so you're used to getting your own way and don't expect it to be any different with the global reception of the offerings of multi-million dollar corporations"
whichever it was, I'm sure none of you will pay much attention in terms of your outpourings, so it was quite pointless writing this, but since it's just about finished I may as well post it.
Tue 12/09/00 at 18:17
Regular
Great post. By the way, I earn my money through good old fashioned slavery. I pick up first years from my school, pop 'em in a bag, and shuttle them off to France. I get a fiver for every child, paid weekly.
Now thats good earning!
Tue 12/09/00 at 19:02
Regular
"Under the Wall"
can you bring a french one back for my cousin to revise for his exams from?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.