GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multi-format sales news"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/01/02 at 00:03
Regular
All of this is taken from http://www.omni-gamer.com

Forgive me for copying and pasting so much info, but I figured it would all be of interest to most people here, and, and Omni-Gamer themselves poach from other sites, so it's hardly a crime! :-)

----------

PlayStation 2 remains the market leader in sales
Posted on Jan. 10, 2002 - 5:40 pm [GMT] by Solid Snake
--
Sony claims that it sold 3 million PS2 units in the last two months of the year.

Sony Computer Entertainment America announced that, even in the face of two console launches from competing companies, its PlayStation 2 platform had its best holiday sales period since launch. The company said that based on internal sales data, it sold 3 million PlayStation 2 consoles in North America during the months of November and December. Specifically, more than 988,700 PlayStation 2 computer entertainment systems were sold during November 2001 and more than 2 million additional units were sold during December 2001. In terms of software tie-in, six games were sold for each console in the month of December. The company's Japanese counterpart experienced similar success during the final two months of 2001, selling 2 million units during that period in its respective territory.

The PlayStation 2's phenomenal sales during the holiday season, and throughout 2001, is good news for the industry overall, said Kaz Hirai, president and chief operating officer of Sony Computer Entertainment America. There is a huge consumer market in the US for in-home entertainment. As more people diversify their entertainment options, we see newer forms--like games--growing exponentially in comparison with traditional mediums. Looking to 2002, we anticipate by the sheer size of our growing loyal fan base and the strength of our established industry partners that the PlayStation business will continue to propel this category to new heights, changing the landscape of the living room.

In total, Sony claims that it has sold about 8 million units of the PS2 in North America during the 14 months since launch.

-Gamespot

----------

70+ For GC by 2003
Posted on Jan. 09, 2002 - 04:24 am [GMT] by Defconn1
--
In a company held conference call this morning, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing Peter Main spoke on the firm's 2001 GameCube success and senior vice president of marketing George Harrison talked briefly about what's in store for this year.

Main said that 1.2 million GameCubes have been sold in the US through December. He also stated that 90% of the 1.3 million units allocated for Japan have also been sold. Nintendo plans to sell a "minimum of four million units [worldwide] by March 2002."

Harrison noted that in the first quarter of 2002 Nintendo expects "continuing strong sales of key launch titles." He also revealed that more than 70 GameCube titles will be available by the end of the calendar year 2002, including such anticipated offerings as Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Zelda, and Star Fox Adventures.

----------

Hundreds of Xboxes were defective
Posted on Jan. 05, 2002 - 8:10 pm [GMT] by Vargas
--
SEATTLE, Jan. 4 - Hundreds of people who bought Microsoft's hot new Xbox game console over the holidays received defective systems, and some say they waited for weeks before the devices were fixed.

----------

PS2 and GBA are pre-Christmas best-sellers
Posted on Jan. 05, 2002 - 11:13 am [GMT] by Solid Snake
--
The most recent hardware sales numbers are in. The PlayStation 2 and Game Boy Advance enjoyed brisk sales in the week prior to Christmas.

Credit Suisse First Bank has released its latest report on video game hardware sales for December 16 through December 22. The report, which is based on NPD TRST research and retailer surveys, shows that the Sony PlayStation 2 continued its strong pre-Christmas sales during that week. According to the report, Sony sold 596,000 units of the PlayStation 2 in that time period, bringing the total North American PS2 console sales to more than 6.6 million units.Despite the strong sales of the PS2, the Microsoft Xbox and the Nintendo GameCube both continued to fly off retailer shelves. During the week of December 16, Microsoft sold 165,000 units of the Xbox, while Nintendo saw an increase in GameCube sales with 259,000 units sold that week. CSFB reports that the current installed base for the Xbox and the GameCube are 1.3 million and 1.2 million units, respectively.

Although all three console platforms sold well during the week, the best-selling hardware unit for the period was Nintendo's Game Boy Advance handheld. A total of 639,000 units of the Game Boy Advance were sold during the week, bringing the North American installed base to more than 4.6 million units.
Sat 19/01/02 at 00:03
"High polygon count"
All of this is taken from http://www.omni-gamer.com

Forgive me for copying and pasting so much info, but I figured it would all be of interest to most people here, and, and Omni-Gamer themselves poach from other sites, so it's hardly a crime! :-)

----------

PlayStation 2 remains the market leader in sales
Posted on Jan. 10, 2002 - 5:40 pm [GMT] by Solid Snake
--
Sony claims that it sold 3 million PS2 units in the last two months of the year.

Sony Computer Entertainment America announced that, even in the face of two console launches from competing companies, its PlayStation 2 platform had its best holiday sales period since launch. The company said that based on internal sales data, it sold 3 million PlayStation 2 consoles in North America during the months of November and December. Specifically, more than 988,700 PlayStation 2 computer entertainment systems were sold during November 2001 and more than 2 million additional units were sold during December 2001. In terms of software tie-in, six games were sold for each console in the month of December. The company's Japanese counterpart experienced similar success during the final two months of 2001, selling 2 million units during that period in its respective territory.

The PlayStation 2's phenomenal sales during the holiday season, and throughout 2001, is good news for the industry overall, said Kaz Hirai, president and chief operating officer of Sony Computer Entertainment America. There is a huge consumer market in the US for in-home entertainment. As more people diversify their entertainment options, we see newer forms--like games--growing exponentially in comparison with traditional mediums. Looking to 2002, we anticipate by the sheer size of our growing loyal fan base and the strength of our established industry partners that the PlayStation business will continue to propel this category to new heights, changing the landscape of the living room.

In total, Sony claims that it has sold about 8 million units of the PS2 in North America during the 14 months since launch.

-Gamespot

----------

70+ For GC by 2003
Posted on Jan. 09, 2002 - 04:24 am [GMT] by Defconn1
--
In a company held conference call this morning, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing Peter Main spoke on the firm's 2001 GameCube success and senior vice president of marketing George Harrison talked briefly about what's in store for this year.

Main said that 1.2 million GameCubes have been sold in the US through December. He also stated that 90% of the 1.3 million units allocated for Japan have also been sold. Nintendo plans to sell a "minimum of four million units [worldwide] by March 2002."

Harrison noted that in the first quarter of 2002 Nintendo expects "continuing strong sales of key launch titles." He also revealed that more than 70 GameCube titles will be available by the end of the calendar year 2002, including such anticipated offerings as Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Zelda, and Star Fox Adventures.

----------

Hundreds of Xboxes were defective
Posted on Jan. 05, 2002 - 8:10 pm [GMT] by Vargas
--
SEATTLE, Jan. 4 - Hundreds of people who bought Microsoft's hot new Xbox game console over the holidays received defective systems, and some say they waited for weeks before the devices were fixed.

----------

PS2 and GBA are pre-Christmas best-sellers
Posted on Jan. 05, 2002 - 11:13 am [GMT] by Solid Snake
--
The most recent hardware sales numbers are in. The PlayStation 2 and Game Boy Advance enjoyed brisk sales in the week prior to Christmas.

Credit Suisse First Bank has released its latest report on video game hardware sales for December 16 through December 22. The report, which is based on NPD TRST research and retailer surveys, shows that the Sony PlayStation 2 continued its strong pre-Christmas sales during that week. According to the report, Sony sold 596,000 units of the PlayStation 2 in that time period, bringing the total North American PS2 console sales to more than 6.6 million units.Despite the strong sales of the PS2, the Microsoft Xbox and the Nintendo GameCube both continued to fly off retailer shelves. During the week of December 16, Microsoft sold 165,000 units of the Xbox, while Nintendo saw an increase in GameCube sales with 259,000 units sold that week. CSFB reports that the current installed base for the Xbox and the GameCube are 1.3 million and 1.2 million units, respectively.

Although all three console platforms sold well during the week, the best-selling hardware unit for the period was Nintendo's Game Boy Advance handheld. A total of 639,000 units of the Game Boy Advance were sold during the week, bringing the North American installed base to more than 4.6 million units.
Sat 19/01/02 at 01:17
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
Hmmm interesting read in a nerdy kinda way.

real surprised on the GBA sales mind you it is a nice little thing.

wish they'd hurry with the GC i might go for an imported GC as Nintendo have treated the UK market badly in the last few years. remember mario RPG *sobs*
Sat 19/01/02 at 22:53
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
The defective xboxs pale to the huge mess up of the PS2 launch.

Crap games, green DVD playback, hardware shortages, large amount of defective units.

Only hundreds of units have had problems over the 1.5 million that have been shipped. Thats good going. You also didn't mention the xbox had great sales over in the US.

Why does everyone hate the xbox?
Sat 19/01/02 at 23:02
Regular
Why does everyone hate the X-box?

I don't hate it, just don't like the bloke in charge of the company which has it's logo on the box.
Sun 20/01/02 at 00:06
"High polygon count"
Mantis wrote:
> Thats good going. You also didn't mention the xbox had great sales
> over in the US.

> Why does everyone hate the xbox?

Are you daft or something? *I* didn't mention anything - I stated quite clearly that the news was a cut & paste from the Omni-Gamer web site.

All of the information I posted was related to sales, and if you bother to read the last section of the post, the Xbox sales are QUITE CLEARLY MENTIONED.

Read before you b***h, please.
Sun 20/01/02 at 00:12
Why does everyone hate Bill Gates?

He's a crazy work horse that has a monopoly on PCs and stuff, he has more money than us all, he's got an awe inspiring business mind and is not only very competetive but very good at what he does. He's also giving a huge percentage of his millions to charity when he pegs it, etc.

I could go on, but I'm not exactly "Pro Bill Gates", I just don't waste my time hating people that are succesful, what am I missing here, there must be a reason.

Does he drown babies or something?
Sun 20/01/02 at 00:54
Regular
Going back to the initial post, I'm pleased to see that the sales of the GC and XBox are so close together, 1.3 million and 1.2 million.

And I'm wondering how many people bought both...
Sun 20/01/02 at 01:09
Regular
Hmmmm, how many people here would buy both? Even if you could afford them.

Gamecube has initially stayed pritty close to X-box in sales figures, but most predictions point to X-box taking a larger lead as times goes on.
Sun 20/01/02 at 17:53
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
And is $100 more!

That says a hell of alot.
Sun 20/01/02 at 18:06
Regular
I'd like to point out that hundreds of Gamecube's were also faulty, but the main problem lay in the way in which it was dealt with. People have been waiting months for their X-Box's to be replaced, while the customer service with Nintendo has been said to be "much better". Whatever that means.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.