GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Edge bias..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/01/03 at 18:31
Regular
It seems like every month Edge is accused of being biased to one system or another. So which is it now?
a. GameCube
b. Playstation 2
c. Xbox

BTW, they also seem to have developed an unhelthy obsession with Treasure. But that's another topic, altogether...
Locky
Wed 29/01/03 at 19:48
Well, when reading Edge's reveiws, they actually write about that kind of stuff that no othr magazine puts into words quite as well, but when it comes to the matter of the numbers, they are certainly a little inconsistent to say the least, I'm not sure what it is, but I would love to see the criteria they use for rating games. Originality seems to play too small a part over original excecution of an un-innovative or unoriginal concept... Do you see? (Bring back Digitiser for the best reviews ever!

"That is your problem. Then I cannot oblige"
Wed 29/01/03 at 09:18
Regular
"Omnipresent"
CVG... :P Why?
Wed 29/01/03 at 09:17
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
..which means they have further to fall! I still buy Edge every month though.

And GamesTM and C&VG - those are the only comuter mages I buy.
Wed 29/01/03 at 09:12
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Yes, their horse is quite high, I'm sure everyone agrees.
Wed 29/01/03 at 08:58
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I agree with FM - Edge write some of the best, most concise articles I've read but their reviews seem to fluctuate a lot. Maybe they're taking their reluctance to jump on the bandwagon and praise a game that's universally held in high esteem (e.g. Vice City, The Getaway etc) too far, and in doing so, deliberately rate them low? They're also incredibly arrogant...when anyone writes in disagreeing with any of their scores they always claim to be right...
Wed 29/01/03 at 06:07
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think Edge are a strange magazine when it comes to reviews. They write the best articles, for sure, but when it comes to games reviews they have a strange opinion of what games are being hyped the most, which games are attacting the most attention, which games are on everyone's most wanted list, and therefore have some strange choices when it comes to which games they review.

I lost all faith in Edge reviews when they gave Final Fantasy X 6/10. When you look at what everyone else gave FFX in terms of scoreline, Edge were WAY off the mark. (Trust me, I researched it, out of 154 reviews, only 1 gave it less than a 7/10 and a staggering 81% of all reviewers gave it 9/10 as a minimum).

I'm sure the Edge reviewers are a bunch of hardened game fans, it just appears to me that they hate the games I like, they base their review scores on things that I don't judge games on, and they have an annoying habit of comparing most games they review to a similar game that was released 20 years ago and nit-picking because of it.

I don't think they're biased, I think all multi-format magazines get accused of that, I just think they should stop playing games on their SNES's, Megadrives and Gameboys and join the rest of us in the real world.
Tue 28/01/03 at 23:11
Regular
"Link to the Future"
I think Edge do tend to sway towards Nintendo. Just look at it this way; Edge has been going for ten years, Microsoft and Sony didn't make consoles ten years ago.
Tue 28/01/03 at 20:06
Regular
"thursdayton!"
A. No, B. No, C.
Tue 28/01/03 at 18:56
Regular
"Omnipresent"
You can spell "dictionary", though;)
Tue 28/01/03 at 18:53
magazine.. sorry i went to find my dictionary

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.