GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"For all you monkeys with NTL broadband..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/01/03 at 20:31
Regular
I'm gonna place a guess that they've been infected with that worm that was causing chaos around the web over the weekend...

Only a few sites work and everything is REALLY slow!

That being what happened with that worm...

Anyway, am I the only person who is getting affected by this, it's annoying me!
Tue 28/01/03 at 22:53
"slightlyshortertagl"
Ms NY wrote:
> Cor! Naughty BT! Reminds me of NASA, you never know what's going on
> inside those places.. except you of course :) well, inside BT that is!
> Not NASA! .. ?

wake up..
Tue 28/01/03 at 22:41
Regular
"Festivus!"
Azul²°°³ wrote:
> Who's the "slow joe" now, eh?

In the head - You
Tue 28/01/03 at 21:31
Regular
"cachoo"
Cor! Naughty BT! Reminds me of NASA, you never know what's going on inside those places.. except you of course :) well, inside BT that is! Not NASA! .. ?
Tue 28/01/03 at 21:28
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Aha!
See??
Tis' the revenge of the 56K!
Who's the "slow joe" now, eh?
EH!?
Ha!

*runs*
Tue 28/01/03 at 21:21
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Ms NY wrote:
> Because of this worm??

Yes, because of the worm. Most of the BT servers are MS-SQL (I'm not sure if I should be telling you this :D) and somewhere, somehow, the worm managed to get it's way onto the internal, high security BT office network.

Of course, BT being all technical decided that their office phones should also run on this network. This meant network engineers had to be contacted through the mobile phones they have all been given as none of the normal phones worked.

However, mobile phone numbers for these people were stored on...you guessed it, the computer network. This meant no more engineers could be contacted, and BT had to work with what they had in the building.

Luckily, a few such as my dad were found. It put BT out of business for a day though. It hasn't even been on the news. I'm guessing they want to keep it secret so that people don't realise how easily the company can be brought down. Even the sales people were telling callers they had a "slight technical problem" and to ring back later. Slight :D

And now I've just told you this. Whoops. Ahh well.
Tue 28/01/03 at 21:09
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/01/28 [GIMP] /microsoft.worm.ap/index.html
Tue 28/01/03 at 21:08
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's only a few servers by the looks of it...

It's taken me about 4 minutes so far to load up the Yahoo mail page...

It's still going!

It's gonna take about 6-7 minutes to load this page, it's ~that~ slow!

Stupid worm...
Tue 28/01/03 at 21:02
Regular
"Festivus!"
I have NTL Broadband. I had no problems. Maybe it's because my mum works there... Or not.
Tue 28/01/03 at 20:51
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Yup, it was pretty beefy!

I've got my connection back now so it's not too bad...

Read...

Basically: :c)

Basically, someone came up with a way of using an exploit in MS-SQL server (and derivatives) to launch a highly efficient worm. This worm, once running on a machine would generate a random IP address, and send a ~370byte packet to another machine, trying to utilise the exploit on that. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Now, given that the worm continually generates these ~370byte packets (as fast as the network transport will handle it), and that there was nothing to stop several worms running on the same machine, you can see that switches and routers are very quickly going to poo themselves. (Oh, and it mangled the source address, so machines with nothing to do with this got hit by ICMP reply floods).

One, just one, MS-SQL server would be sufficient to bring down a Cisco 6509 router (not a cheap and nasty simple little router, this is a biggie).

So, a worm aimed at MS platforms that screws everything over for all internet users.

Nice. Not.
Tue 28/01/03 at 20:49
Regular
I checked my cable, it was a MOLE chewing it, the worm is trying to stop the MOLE!! IT IS THE MOLE THAt IS BAD!!! *gets attacked by mutated gopher*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.