GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Emotional Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/01/02 at 11:53
Regular
Gaming dosn't half get your emotions going sometimes. Whether you get real annoyed and near the point where the controller smashes the TV or a friend or family member or whether you et happy and excited, scared or even sad enough to cry. Obviously there are a lot of games out there that don't really play around with our emotions as they are just games with not much of a story to them. So what emotions do we experience and why.

Anger
Anger is an easy one, usually frustration causes us to get a little aggressive and we tend to lose control a bit. This can lead us to stop playing the game, become violent or sometimes fight on and battle past the frustrating area. There are probably man games in which you will experience this, maybe forgeting to save your progress and then suddenly dying. I remember playing Mario on the SNES and just before the the end I sneezed and made Mario run straight of a pipe. I was so annoyed I took my frustration out on my little cousin by kicking his chair over. I regret it now and don't see why I got annoyed but I am sure you will agree there are sometimes when you just have to let it out.

Fear
Fear is another good emotion to experience from games, as the public learns to except violent and gorey games it looks like the number of scary games could increase. The fisrt scary game I ever had was shadow of the beast, just because of the intro, scared the pants of me every time. Resident evil also has it's jumpy bits, sometimes you know the dog or moster will jump through the window or mirror but you can't help getting a little scared. I think fear is a good emotion to experience from games, although we know it is a game sometimes you can't help getting a little jumpy.

Excitement
Another one of the emotions that can lead to making games that little bit better. I think that games that get you excited make you want to play them more. I can't say any game has ever made me really excited but a few come close and I think we could see more games improving on this a little in the future.

Sadness
I can't say there are many games that have made me feel sad. Some say metal gear is the most emotional game they have ever played and that they experienced sadness at certain points like when Meryl dies. I'm not really sure how well sadness works in games, personaly I don't see the point too it as games are supposed to be fun and exciting, not sad and depressing. Maybe a few odd sad aread here and there that get outweighed by the happy or scary moments.

Guilt
Ever felt you have done something wrong? MAybe shouldn't have beat the old man for his money or shot that armed woman so quickly as she may have been inocent. Probably not I would think. I see guilt as not being included in games as it could be the same as sadness as it could spoil it rather than improve the game.

Well I can't really think of what other emotions we experience from games. It could be something that improves and get included in more games or it could be something that is used in a few games which makes these games better or even it could be used but maybe make the games worse. Who knows, not me thats for sure.
So what games have made you happy, sad, angry or scared and how did they achieve this?
Sun 20/01/02 at 00:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes, Metal gear Solid was very moving, but what about Aeris dying?
Sat 19/01/02 at 15:53
Regular
I felt frustration whilst playing Shenmue, not because I was stuck or anything, but because Ryo was so distant and cold to his love-interest Nozomi.

The emotions I feel most are excitement and anger. Excitement if the game I've just bought is as good as I hoped it would be, and anger if the game I've just bought is a total let-down and I've gotta trudge back to the shop and argue and explain for a refund.
Fri 18/01/02 at 15:18
Regular
"I like cheese"
Metal Gear Solid is probably the most emotional game I've ever played, and probably why it's my favourite.

I wasn't so sad about Meryl dying, but Sniper's Wolf death was hearbreaking. The way she told her sad story, asked Snake to shoot her, and then Otacon turned up. While Otacon cried, and the Wolves hounded in the cold night, there was a gunshot, and she was dead.

I've never experience anything like that. I've been watching that scene over and over, I just can't get enough of it. And there's a classic part just afterwards too:

While sad, emotional music plays, Otacon cries out as Snake walks away, "Snake! Hey Snake! Why are you doing this? Why am I doing this? Why are we doing this?" *Something to that extent*

Snake turns, and says, "If we get out of this alive, I'll tell ya." He then walks away, and Otacon's final words are something like:

"Okay Snake. I'll be watching you."
Fri 18/01/02 at 14:26
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Aliboy wrote.

Sadness
I can't say there are many games that have made me feel sad.
> Some say metal gear is the most emotional game they have ever played and that
> they experienced sadness at certain points like when Meryl dies. I'm not really
> sure how well sadness works in games, personaly I don't see the point too it as
> games are supposed to be fun and exciting, not sad and depressing. Maybe a few
> odd sad aread here and there that get outweighed by the happy or scary
> moments.

I would have to say that i wasnt terribly upset when meryl died, i think probably due to the fact that she was in almost the whole game anyway, perhaps if she died in the middle it would have had more impact.

The most upsetting part in a game i have played still goes to the death of Aeris Gainsborough in Final Fantasy 7, it is just so unexpected, a real bolt from the blue. I think it is further reinforced by the fact that during the whole of the FMV none of the characters speak, all there is, is that music, so soft and tranquil, this is then juxtaposed with the savage and brutal stabbing of Aeris, unfortunately not even in the fantasy land of videogames is there a cure for a broadsword through the heart.

Furthermore the fact that the sad music continues during the fight between clouds party and jenova death is more touching and also ironic, as you may have guessed it had me almost blubbing like a little baby, it was magical.
Fri 18/01/02 at 11:53
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Gaming dosn't half get your emotions going sometimes. Whether you get real annoyed and near the point where the controller smashes the TV or a friend or family member or whether you et happy and excited, scared or even sad enough to cry. Obviously there are a lot of games out there that don't really play around with our emotions as they are just games with not much of a story to them. So what emotions do we experience and why.

Anger
Anger is an easy one, usually frustration causes us to get a little aggressive and we tend to lose control a bit. This can lead us to stop playing the game, become violent or sometimes fight on and battle past the frustrating area. There are probably man games in which you will experience this, maybe forgeting to save your progress and then suddenly dying. I remember playing Mario on the SNES and just before the the end I sneezed and made Mario run straight of a pipe. I was so annoyed I took my frustration out on my little cousin by kicking his chair over. I regret it now and don't see why I got annoyed but I am sure you will agree there are sometimes when you just have to let it out.

Fear
Fear is another good emotion to experience from games, as the public learns to except violent and gorey games it looks like the number of scary games could increase. The fisrt scary game I ever had was shadow of the beast, just because of the intro, scared the pants of me every time. Resident evil also has it's jumpy bits, sometimes you know the dog or moster will jump through the window or mirror but you can't help getting a little scared. I think fear is a good emotion to experience from games, although we know it is a game sometimes you can't help getting a little jumpy.

Excitement
Another one of the emotions that can lead to making games that little bit better. I think that games that get you excited make you want to play them more. I can't say any game has ever made me really excited but a few come close and I think we could see more games improving on this a little in the future.

Sadness
I can't say there are many games that have made me feel sad. Some say metal gear is the most emotional game they have ever played and that they experienced sadness at certain points like when Meryl dies. I'm not really sure how well sadness works in games, personaly I don't see the point too it as games are supposed to be fun and exciting, not sad and depressing. Maybe a few odd sad aread here and there that get outweighed by the happy or scary moments.

Guilt
Ever felt you have done something wrong? MAybe shouldn't have beat the old man for his money or shot that armed woman so quickly as she may have been inocent. Probably not I would think. I see guilt as not being included in games as it could be the same as sadness as it could spoil it rather than improve the game.

Well I can't really think of what other emotions we experience from games. It could be something that improves and get included in more games or it could be something that is used in a few games which makes these games better or even it could be used but maybe make the games worse. Who knows, not me thats for sure.
So what games have made you happy, sad, angry or scared and how did they achieve this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.