GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony DVD Remote And Region X"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/01/02 at 11:32
Regular
This may have been discussed before, and if it has I apologise, but I've only just encountered the following problem.

I have a PS 2 with the DVD Region X, hooked up via a full SCART lead and everything worked fine, DVDs from Region 1 played fine and I was a happy camper.

For Xmas, I was lucky enough to receive the official Sony DVD Remote. So, as instructed, I copied the DVD Driver software onto a memory card, plugged the remote receiver in, and tried to watch a DVD.

Now, I have the DVD Region X card in Memory Card Slot 1, the Memory Card with the DVD Driver in Memory Card Slot 2, the remote receiver in Contoller Port 2, and the standard controller in Port 1.

The Region X CD loads fine and I can select the region i want to play, but when I play a Region 1 disk, it come sup in green (the problem that a full RGB SCART lead fixed), and told me the disk could not be played on this system. It was the same with all my Region 1 DVD's.

I tried removing the Memory card with the updated DVD driver on it, and, surprisingly, everything functioned as I would expect - excpet my DVD remote didn't work correctly, as I was expecting because the required memory card wasn't plugged in.

Anyone else encountered this issue, and could anyone suggest a reasonable solution that doesn't involve buying yet more equipment? if push comes to shove I'll just not bother using the new DVD Driver!
Thu 24/01/02 at 14:27
Just to confirm, here's what I did.

Put my memory card, with the updated DVD Driver on it, into the Memory card slot 1. Then put the DVD RegionX card into slot 2, and entered the codes for the Euro Remote from the RegionX website. These codes were then saved to the memory card, and now everything works fine and dandy.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Sat 19/01/02 at 12:54
Im getting the DVD remote this week so, from what i've read i do this:

Update the drivers in memory card slot 1. Save the DVD region x in memory card slot 1 too, and I should be ok...

Right???

Cheers guys.
Sat 19/01/02 at 11:49
"High polygon count"
bars-tard wrote:
> good advice wookie

I'm full of it.

Or so I'm told! :-)
Sat 19/01/02 at 03:21
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
i could better than finding out the hard way. good advice wookie otherwise i'd of probably tried good ole trial and error :)
Fri 18/01/02 at 18:53
"High polygon count"
The Action Replay products are made by the same people, so - while I cant say for certain - I'd guess that you can upgrade the AR2 unit as well.

You could always ask them via http://www.codejunkies.com/shop/email_us.asp
Fri 18/01/02 at 18:50
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
does anyone know if i get the remote with updated codes if it will stop the region x on AR2 V2 from working?
Fri 18/01/02 at 14:10
Excellent - I didn't think to check that updating the driver would mean entering a new set of codes - now you have explained it to me, it becomes clearer.

I'll try it out over the weekend and let you know how I get on - thanks again!
Fri 18/01/02 at 13:28
"High polygon count"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I suggest that you use your PS2's browser, DELETE this file, and
> re-enter the new 2.10E codes - that should get it working. Let us know how you
> get on.

In addition, i think it is best to ensure that the memory card containing the new DVD driver is in slot 1 when you enter the codes. This will ensure that the DVD RegionX file is on the same card as the driver, and therefore that both are accessible when you want to watch a DVD.
Fri 18/01/02 at 13:25
"High polygon count"
SteveyboyUK wrote:
> It DOES work fine if I don't use the memory card with the updated driver on it -
> I entered the codes from the web site when i first got the DVD Region X

Okay, it sounds to me like you entered codes for RegionX for your previous on-board driver.

My RegionX worked fine with my on-board driver - version 1.20E, on a launch machine. It sounds like you had to enter codes to get it to work with your on-board DVD driver - let's say, just for example, that your PS2 is a later model with driver 1.40E on-board.

Now you are using the updated driver on the memory card, which is very likely version 2.10E, you will need to enter NEW codes to get RegionX to work with with the new driver.

> but what's this about a Save for the Region X? Someone
> enlighten me as to what this is because I don't see that
> mentioned in any manuals anywhere? I don't know what
> this "Save" you refer to is!

DVD RegionX saves a small file (12k I think it is) on your memory card. This file contains some data for its operation, and includes the codes that you enter so that you don't need to enter them every time you use the product.

I suggest that you use your PS2's browser, DELETE this file, and re-enter the new 2.10E codes - that should get it working. Let us know how you get on.
Fri 18/01/02 at 11:41
It DOES work fine if I don't use the memory card with the updated driver on it - I entered the codes from the web site when i first got the DVD Region X, but what's this about a Save for the Region X? Someone enlighten me as to what this is because I don't see that mentioned in any manuals anywhere? I don't know what this "Save" you refer to is!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.