GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The New Bandwagon"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/01/03 at 11:10
Regular
Vietnam seems to be the new bandwagon for developers who make action orientated games.

So far there has been Platoon, from what I read a sub-standard RTS set in Nam, Vietcong, a great looking FPS which I've been looking forward to for some time, Men of Valour: Vietnam which also looks promising thanks to it being made by the same people behind MOH: AA, and now Line of Sight: Vietnam, a sequel of sorts to that not particularly groundbreaking Deadly Dozen game.

So it appears developers are now abandoning the battlefields of World War 2 for the more open jungles of Nam. Sure it may not be a bad thing, if these games manage to be pretty good, but I doubt all of them will, it just appears to me that when it comes to thinking up of new settings to place a game, developers are a little unoriginal.
Thu 30/01/03 at 11:10
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Vietnam seems to be the new bandwagon for developers who make action orientated games.

So far there has been Platoon, from what I read a sub-standard RTS set in Nam, Vietcong, a great looking FPS which I've been looking forward to for some time, Men of Valour: Vietnam which also looks promising thanks to it being made by the same people behind MOH: AA, and now Line of Sight: Vietnam, a sequel of sorts to that not particularly groundbreaking Deadly Dozen game.

So it appears developers are now abandoning the battlefields of World War 2 for the more open jungles of Nam. Sure it may not be a bad thing, if these games manage to be pretty good, but I doubt all of them will, it just appears to me that when it comes to thinking up of new settings to place a game, developers are a little unoriginal.
Thu 30/01/03 at 12:44
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Yo, PC Gamer made that point as well. Not a bad thing though, I love the terrain of Vietnam.
Thu 30/01/03 at 13:08
"Darkness, always"
Soon someone will try to make a spate of games in the middle east. Then they will be branded racist and removed from the shelves...
Thu 30/01/03 at 13:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Little Hobbo wrote:
> Yo, PC Gamer made that point as well. Not a bad thing though, I love
> the terrain of Vietnam.

I agree, the environments of these games are like nothing I've seen before, but I fear the actual game-play won't fare as good.
Thu 30/01/03 at 13:48
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
I dunno. Just imagine sniping from behind dense jungle foliage. Or infiltrating and area using the undergrowth as camoflauge. Or even defending against such an attack. I think this opens the way for some fantastic combat.
Thu 30/01/03 at 15:16
"Darkness, always"
works in theory, and certainly in multiplayer at least.

But get the AI not to see you because you've got a leaf next to you the same colour as your camoflauged face. It's probably an AI nightmare.
Thu 30/01/03 at 15:35
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Yerrrss. The AI would be a huge problem. But as you say, Multi-player would be fantastic.
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:13
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The trouble I can see is this; there isn't enough inspiration to draw from the real world conflict of Vietnam for these games to be truly different from each other.

As apposed to the WW2 setting where there was years of conflict to get ideas from for the games missions, I don't think the same will apply for the jungles of Nam. I can see a barrage of jungle set shoot em ups with the same mission structure as one another, with nothing wholly original to make buying them all worth it.

Still, the environments will be top notch, and I can't wait to get my hands on Vietcong in a few months time, but as for the rest of the Vietnam set games, I'll have to wait and see if they provide anything that hasn't already been done.
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:16
"Darkness, always"
Ah, but you have the added element of US troops barging into small Viet villages and shooting hapless children in the head.

Or won't they port that particular cultural contribution into the 'Nam games?
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:33
Regular
They are really losing ideas...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.